Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reorganising Kitchen in Charlesland

Options
  • 22-09-2012 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi All

Looking for a bit of help/advice please.

We are in a 2-bed Terrace House in Charlesland and looking at re-organising our Kitchen. We'd like to move our appliances into a 'L shape' around the outside wall of the Kitchen, and remove the waist-high structure/bar in the centre of the kitchen.

Has anyone done this and if so, how did you go about it? All help, tips, advice etc. really welcomed!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Have been considering this myself to open up the kitchen more into the dining room. The only problem I can see so far is moving the waste and water supply pipes as they are buried below the floor slab in the middle of the galley (under the sink). Power for sockets drops down the wall so not much of a problem there as these can be re-routed. There is heavy work in moving pipes below the floor so this could be the headache!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

Thinking of doing this too! Any advice definitely appreciated!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

astrofluff wrote: »
    The only problem I can see so far is moving the waste and water supply pipes as they are buried below the floor slab in the middle of the galley (under the sink). Power for sockets drops down the wall so not much of a problem there as these can be re-routed. There is heavy work in moving pipes below the floor so this could be the headache!

There is a bit of work in moving the pipes alright, but (speaking from experience) it is not as bad as most people would imagine. It would be possible to move the pipes and re-cement in a day.

The biggest problem IMHO is the dust, it goes everywhere. However if you have a good design it is worth it and it can transform a home.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 TheGrove

Just resurrecting this old thread; did anybody ever do this??

We did. Kitchen is now in an L-Shape.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88709819

Link to my post above on the thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057133126

Love it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 TheGrove

Hi audreyp, this is exactly what we are looking at doing. Could you let me know who did it and the general costs involved if you don't mind?? thanks

I sent you a PM TheGrove

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Emma A

Anyone re do their kitchen without taking out the island? Would love a full fridge freezer and a couple more presses if possible

Anyone recommend we're to go for a new kitchen?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭Carpenter

Emma A wrote: »
    Anyone re do their kitchen without taking out the island? Would love a full fridge freezer and a couple more presses if possible

Anyone recommend we're to go for a new kitchen?

Thanks

Try inhouse for your units I find them top class whenever I do 1 .

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭sso

Our friend changed her kitchen to a U shape. She has the kitchen at the front. The blank wall holds a double oven and full height fridge freezer. She has "magic corners" to maximise space. It's a great option. Gave more storage than the L shape for front of house kitchens.

• Advertisement
Advertisement