Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help choosing the right cycling club

Options
  • 22-09-2012 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭

Since there seem to be quite a few boardsies involved in cycling clubs I was hoping that some of you could advise on a cycling club in the south of Dublin.

What I would be looking for in the club would be:

- learning how to ride in a group safely
    - good community
    - some weekend spins after learning the group riding thing (the earlier in the morning the better, 7am in summers would be absolutely perfect)
    - maybe getting a tip or two about training for races and some longer sportives (WW200, Sean Kelly Tour and the likes)
    - try an a4 race or two next season and see if I can keep up with the peleton :o

I've no idea what would be required from my side (apart from some moneys at least) regarding fitness and/or bike type/level and gear and paperwork etc.

I've searched a bit around already and have found a website for a club in Dundrum named Orwell Wheelers which would be quite close to me (I'm in Nutgrove). It appears to be a large club and very race oriented so I'm not sure if I'd be up to the level for it.

On my commutes home I sometimes see a rather big group of cyclists of all shapes and sizes gathering near the Yellow House pub. Would anyone know of any club that's doing those spins? Location wise that would be the best.

Cheers.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

I'm sure any cycling club would fit your needs but I want to give a shout out for st tiernans, also based in south Dublin. Was a member a couple of years ago and found them very supportive, good training info and a good mix of people training for league racing, sportives and just fitness.

I think the sat morning spins were at 1000am, so if a really early start is important maybe a bigger club like Orwell may be able to accommodate you better

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Orwell have a large touring side as well, often meet at the yellow house for spins, which would be handy for you, otherwise from Joe dalys. winter spins are starting in around 2 weeks, so you could head along and see if you like the setup, don't have to join up unless you decide to stick with it.

the club league would be a better place to cut your teeth than a4 if you want to try racing...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Hmmzis wrote: »

I've searched a bit around already and have found a website for a club in Dundrum named Orwell Wheelers which would be quite close to me (I'm in Nutgrove). It appears to be a large club and very race oriented so I'm not sure if I'd be up to the level for it.
    Just because it's got a strong racing group doesn't mean it's "very race oriented"

I understand Orwell Wheelers is the largest club in the country, and will cater for pretty much all types of cyclist in a way a smaller club cannot. They are precisely the type of club who can offer you a wide varietly of options/experience. The smaller clubs tend to focus a bit more on fewer disciplines

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 357 ✭✭ballygowan1

Anyone know what clubs goin on Saturday morning spins? They would suit me so much better than a sunday

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Anyone know what clubs goin on Saturday morning spins? They would suit me so much better than a sunday
    Where are you based?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 357 ✭✭ballygowan1

Beasty wrote: »
    Where are you based?

South Dublin

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Sorrento 10am every Saturday mornings. Glen of The Downs.
    Also Sundays, same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

I started with Orwell two years ago as a newbie, and I have to say it extremely supportive of beginners and leisure cyclists in general. I've leaned a huge amount from the club in that time (except how to climb a steep hill fast - looking to do that this year :pac:).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭buffalo

Ryder wrote: »
    I'm sure any cycling club would fit your needs but I want to give a shout out for st tiernans, also based in south Dublin. Was a member a couple of years ago and found them very supportive, good training info and a good mix of people training for league racing, sportives and just fitness.

I think the sat morning spins were at 1000am, so if a really early start is important maybe a bigger club like Orwell may be able to accommodate you better

No?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Thanks for all the help. I think I'll give the Orwell Wheelers a call or drop a line. Looks like it could be the right club for me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement