Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Sapphire Radeon 7950 oc 3gb - noob alert!

Options
  • 22-09-2012 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

Hi,

A few quick questions, cant really find manuals or info on forums..so I came back to the pros

Ok... components arrived, you can find details on my other thread (sing. :) ), and took my time last night doing my first build...

2 probs... but most important one is:

Sapphire Radeon 7950 OC 3GB - installed in PCIe but cant find info on exactly how to connect to psu with regard to power connectors

The connectors on the GPU are 1x8 and 1x6, so my questions are, should I use both to connect to the PSU, and/or should I use the connectors that came with the GPU or should I use what looks like the correct connectors direct from the psu....(which looks like 1 x6+1+1 plus 1 x 6 - one is labelled pciE)???

I've tried both and monitor doesnt leave standby on bootup... but here's the thing... in my noobness when I hooked the rig up initially, in my excitement I didnt notice the (only!) sticker (on the bubble wrap with the gpu) that says... must be connected to the psu (the manual doesnt even say that...) so i didnt and when I booted up... it booted fine...installed Win7 64 bit, installed MSI motherboard bits etc but I noticed that it was running off Intel 4000 HD graphics and thats where my investigation started...

anyway... as always thanks in advance for any info/advice - much appreciated as always... you lot should be paid!!

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

Daithi40 wrote: »
    Hi,

A few quick questions, cant really find manuals or info on forums..so I came back to the pros

Ok... components arrived, you can find details on my other thread (sing. :) ), and took my time last night doing my first build...

2 probs... but most important one is:

Sapphire Radeon 7950 OC 3GB - installed in PCIe but cant find info on exactly how to connect to psu with regard to power connectors

The connectors on the GPU are 1x8 and 1x6, so my questions are, should I use both to connect to the PSU, and/or should I use the connectors that came with the GPU or should I use what looks like the correct connectors direct from the psu....(which looks like 1 x6+1+1 plus 1 x 6 - one is labelled pciE)???

I've tried both and monitor doesnt leave standby on bootup... but here's the thing... in my noobness when I hooked the rig up initially, in my excitement I didnt notice the (only!) sticker (on the bubble wrap with the gpu) that says... must be connected to the psu (the manual doesnt even say that...) so i didnt and when I booted up... it booted fine...installed Win7 64 bit, installed MSI motherboard bits etc but I noticed that it was running off Intel 4000 HD graphics and thats where my investigation started...

anyway... as always thanks in advance for any info/advice - much appreciated as always... you lot should be paid!!

Dave
    Make sure you're plugging in your monitor cable into the graphics card, sounds like you're plugging it in to the motherboard if you're getting integrated graphics.

You need a 6-pin PCIE connector and an 8-pin PCIe connector. These are both on the PSU. Plug them directly into the graphics card and you should be good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Daithi40

Oh, and will post my experience of how the build went, what went well, and what had me stumped for all others that may be building using similar components to what I was advised here.... it was head scratching the first time but very rewarding to be honest :)

Dammit! I think you may be right... will finish this pint and update shortly...if thats what i did, I will be annoyed at not being a noob, but being dumb.... ta

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

A pint while building pc - brave! :D

As mentioned above: have a look where did you connected monitor. Mobo will have connection too, so you might have connected to mobo instead. Connect it to gpu it self.

Your gpu takes 1x6pin and 1x8pin.

lol - last one! nope did all my thermal pasting etc on the dry last night till 3am...NERDUP! really enjoyed it! Believe it or not I work in IT! but have never built and so on. Thanks again!!

If anyone wants advice in setting up remote access thru citrix or replacing lots n lots of cisco edge switches... orrrr SCOM 2012, and a bunch of other stuff, pm away... but building a pc...up to now I am a spa :) Thanks all!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement