Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless signal boosters via ethernet switchboard

Options
  • 22-09-2012 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭

Hey, we're trying to get broadband sorted for our new weirdly shaped workspace, wondering if anybody could help point us in the right direction?

Our building has a phone system switchboard and we're looking to install some wireless signal boosters to be able to get wifi everywhere. Previous occupants used wireless broadcast boxes connected by ethernet to the switchboard so I'm hoping to use the same rather than wifi repeaters (could do without the lag). Unfortunately they took them with them so no idea about model numbers etc.

I've been googling what I need but I'm not turning up any products that fit the description. Also got on to Eircom to see if they supplied anything like what but they didn't seem to understand what I'm talking about.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭rcanpolat

Hey, we're trying to get broadband sorted for our new weirdly shaped workspace, wondering if anybody could help point us in the right direction?

Our building has a phone system switchboard and we're looking to install some wireless signal boosters to be able to get wifi everywhere. Previous occupants used wireless broadcast boxes connected by ethernet to the switchboard so I'm hoping to use the same rather than wifi repeaters (could do without the lag). Unfortunately they took them with them so no idea about model numbers etc.

I've been googling what I need but I'm not turning up any products that fit the description. Also got on to Eircom to see if they supplied anything like what but they didn't seem to understand what I'm talking about.

Any ideas?

Grab a bunch of supported routers and install Open WRT onto them https://openwrt.org/

Then have your modem plugged into the switch and from there start setting up the other routers into bridge/repeater mode. Plug them into available ethernet ports throughout the office. The devices will then grab a connection from the modem via the ethernet switch and suck it down the ethernet cable into their routers and broadcast it into the office

problemo solvo! :D

Advertisement