Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Flea infestation

• 23-09-2012 12:22am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

Our flat and the house above us has become infested with psyco fleas! I've never come across ones that bite this badly, they're even in the bed, it's really horrible. One of my cats is even having allergic reactions to them, how the hell do I get rid of them? Do I have to use a pesticide? I have the Advantage drops for my cats, but I think the cat from upstairs who's always in and out of our flat may just come and reinfect my lot, does the Advantage stay in their system at all? PLease advise me, I'm so tormented :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I think you'll need to put some advantage on the other cat. You'll need to spray flea killer on everything, make sure the cats don't get into the rooms you've sprayed until its safe, it should say on the tin of flea spray how long to keep them out of the room. All pet bedding and your bed linen will need to go on a hot wash. Hoover the furniture, carpets and beds and take it from there. If the other cat is carrying fleas it has to be given a flea treatment, for its own sake and also to stop any more infestations.

Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

I think you'll need to put some advantage on the other cat. You'll need to spray flea killer on everything, make sure the cats don't get into the rooms you've sprayed until its safe, it should say on the tin of flea spray how long to keep them out of the room. All pet bedding and your bed linen will need to go on a hot wash. Hoover the furniture, carpets and beds and take it from there. If the other cat is carrying fleas it has to be given a flea treatment, for its own sake and also to stop any more infestations.

Good luck.

Ok, that's a good plan of action, thanks a mil for the reply. Where can I buy the spray, in a regular supermarket or do I need to go somewhere especially?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Yeah, you should be able to get it in Dunnes or Tesco, its usually on a stand in the pet food section. I use the advantage on my 2 cats but one of them likes to go across the fields hunting mice so tends to be more prone to hoppers. I've used the stuff from the supermarket in the past. I think its called Bob Martins, I can't remember. But its an aerosol and you'll know it when you see it. If you can't get it in the supermarket you'd get it in a pet shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

I know that there is a product, a canned gas, that can get the house rid of all parasites. I think it's from Bayer, but I'm not sure.
    Before you use this product you have to take all plants and animals out of the house. Then close all doors and windows, put the can in the centre of the house, pull the tab and go outside.
    The gas is released from the can and fill the house. Every parasite is killed in short time.
    Before going back in the house for dwelling, you have to open all doors and windows and let fresh air get in.
    After that the house is safe for plants, pets, kids and adults.

Ask the pet shop owner for this product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I've used both Acclaim and Indorex in the past and found them excellent. Go into your vets and ask for an environmental flea spray. They also have the added advantage of killing hatching eggs for up to 6 months. You can also get things called flea bombs.

Also don't forget to hoover like a demon, especially the nooks and crannies and pop a flea collar in the bag.

I have to say that I didn't find Advantage to be any good at preventing my pets getting fleas so I switched to Frontline, Stronghold or Advocate and yep, it's a great idea to treat the cat upstairs but check with it's owners first as it may have been treated already and as these are harsh chemicals you don't want to double up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,434 ✭✭✭Rancid

I can recommend Indorex for spraying carpets, furniture, etc.
    Most vets sell it, just follow the instructions on the can.
    It really works!
    Then just hoover very thoroughly. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Thanks for the great advice everyone! I have just invested ina batch of Adavantage but I'll try another one next time so. Went for a look in Tesco today but they didn't have anything, I'll go up to the vets tomorrow and see if I can find something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

You'l have to treat the whole house as well as the cats. If you just treat the cats they'l get re-infested by the environment. Fleas love warm, humid and dark environments such as carpet, underneath furniture, down the sides and underneath the cushions of your couch etc. Boil or hot wash all beddings (both human and pet bedding), hoover like mad get into every little corner and move every bit of furniture. Pop a flea collar into the bag and dump it afterwards. Buy a flea spray such as indorex, check the can does it kill the eggs also, if it doesn't kill the eggs you can whack up the heating and keep boiling the kettle, the warmth and higher humidity should ensure the eggs will hatch so you can blitz the place with spray.

Avoid any supermarket type stuff such as bob martin, at best it's a useless waste of money, at worst I have heard of reactions. Best to go to the vets. You'l have to talk to your neighbour upstairs too and if their flat is infested they'l have to do the same or their cat will re-infest your flat.

Advertisement