Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slugs at night in the kitchen.

• 23-09-2012 12:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

How do they get in the house,and what exactly are they hoping to find?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Tom_Cruise wrote: »

A vaccine for salt?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

A shell to call their home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

2 pints of Lager and a packet of crisps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Ristiano Conaldo

Cabbage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

WD40 around the door sills & traps. Problem solved.

*unless it's a case of demonic poltergeists, then you're screwed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Uuuugghhh hate them! Every rainy night it's a guaranteed slug fest in my dining room.....anyone want them? I can do a collection for a fry up :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,270 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I went into the kitchen one evening to see one had crawled up the drain and into the sink. Big orange one too. ****ing sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Oh this reminds me of my grandads house years ago, there used to be trails all around the sittin room. Awh memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

tan11ie wrote: »
    Uuuugghhh hate them! Every rainy night it's a guaranteed slug fest in my dining room.....anyone want them? I can do a collection for a fry up :cool:

Tastes like chicken...

Well frenchies eat snails and they are similarly squidgy so give them a go with some creamy pasta.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Pouring salt on them is fun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,592 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Ah it's slugs? Thank god. I thought the missus was dragging herself along the floor with no bottoms on again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

They're tired of putting up with ordinary broadband so they've come top yours for proper wi-fi reception?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

darlett wrote: »
    Tastes like chicken...

Well frenchies eat snails and they are similarly squidgy so give them a go with some creamy pasta.

Can't say I'd be temped to eat them but I'm considering getting a gat and taking pleasure of firing them against the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Pour salt on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

A nice cup of tea.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Nothing better then putting one of them slimey gits in the fire....ahhh, to hear them sizzle and then......POP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Slugs are snails that sold their home for drug money!!

Pour salt on them.

Tasty!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 35 Red Star Bellend

areyawell wrote: »
    Pouring salt on them is fun
    And cruel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Shatstand

I had this problem a few years ago when I was renting in London. Every night, especially during cold, damp weather, you would find Suggs downstairs in the shared kitchen. We tried everything, pouring salt on him did nothing. We had to move in the end, it was madness.

• Advertisement

And cruel.

it's a snail......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Shatstand wrote: »
    I had this problem a few years ago when I was renting in London. Every night, especially during cold, damp weather, you would find Suggs downstairs in the shared kitchen. We tried everything, pouring salt on him did nothing. We had to move in the end, it was madness.

Poor Graham... I bet he didn't like getting salt poured on him while singing Cecilia

Oh Cecilia you're breaking my heart....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

tan11ie wrote: »
    Can't say I'd be temped to eat them but I'm considering getting a gat and taking pleasure of firing them against the wall.

Quick question: What's a "gat"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Rheo

About 2 weeks ago I saw one make its way across my living room floor. I was tempted to be all like "I want to play a game" but my heart just wasn't black enough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 936 ✭✭✭Prick!

Mickey H wrote: »

Drink I think.

Slugs come round to eat things.

Wash your floor!

WNUS_30-cal_GAU17_minigun_pic.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

A gat is a gun. Slang.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Check the drain underneath the sink they could be coming up from there if its not sealed properly.

I once entered my snail into a snail race but it was too slow so i took its shell off. That didnt work, it just made it sluggish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

A gat is a gun. Slang.

Yeah in biggies world! Does he not mean slingshot?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

There was random ones in my toilet a few nights.wtf how the hell do they get in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Weird this thread is here was down in the kitchen just there turned on the light an went to check on back door and seen big slimy trail beside the door and the culprit nowhere to be seen
    Unless someone came in an snotted on me floor
    Weird that I can't find it tho
    Gonna get myself a hodgeheg t eat the slimy gits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Seen this in my Grandparents' house too.. Worst I seen was a big green one covered in mites.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riccardoella_limacum Sick shizzle:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

jay-me wrote: »
    Seen this in my Grandparents' house too.. Worst I seen was a big green one covered in mites.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Riccardoella_limacum Sick shizzle:eek:

Fu.ck's sake. Thanks for that link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

it's a snail......:rolleyes:

Please elaborate.

I'm interested to see where/how you draw the line that defines which creatures it's ok to cause to suffer and which are not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭apache

A gat is a gun. Slang.

Yeah in biggies world! Does he not mean slingshot?!
    Yep. Thats it. Never knew it was referred to a gun. Its a slingshot. Pronouced ga no t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

apache wrote: »
    Yep. Thats it. Never knew it was referred to a gun. Its a slingshot. Pronouced ga no t.

Ah right. Sorry about that. I thought getting a gun to get rid of some slugs was a bit extreme but then again I use a rocket launcher to kill the mice in my house.

Well I say "house" but it`s more of a hole in the ground now...there was a lot of mice last winter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

leave out beer for the slugs

• Registered Users Posts: 35 heisenburger

A gat is a gun guys... A slingshot wouldnt be very gangster! A quick google tells me that its prohibition era slag for a gun, originally coming from Gatling gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

just sit back and watch them leaving, this will show you how they get in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

I've never seen a slug indoors!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I put my jeans on one morning and there was something wet against my thigh, jeans came of like they were on fire and inside I found a big black bastard slug.

I'd been outside killing them the night before so I took this as a declaration of war and in all probability an attempt on my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭DaveSuarez

humbert wrote: »
    I put my jeans on one morning and there was something wet against my thigh

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭MadameGascar

They're looking for biscuits, slugs love 'em. Try feeding a fig roll to a slug, they'll tear into it and the chomping sound is unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

humbert wrote: »
    I put my jeans on one morning and there was something wet against my thigh, jeans came of like they were on fire and inside I found a big black bastard slug.

I'd been outside killing them the night before so I took this as a declaration of war and in all probability an attempt on my life.

fcuk sake ,,, no need for making me paranoid now..

Bloody loose threads ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Murt10

A small leak under the sink/dishwasher etc. is all they need

Ideal place to live warm, dark and moist. Then at night, out they come and feed on the food crumbs that you have on the floor or wherever. If the are round the sink they can even climb up onto the draining board and have a snack on anything you might be defrosting.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

At least you don't have Silverfish

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=silverfish&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CB0QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FSilverfish&ei=EeheUJOAEseGhQeJooGABw&usg=AFQjCNGoLwzVwCkPYWBPzG-f1v47cbNbBQ

An apartment I lived in for a while had loads of the little bastards.. You'd go to the loo at night and see them scurrying under the skirting boards..

They're a HOOR to get rid of :mad: Needless to say I didn't stay there long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Slugs....

Get a Duck!

duck_17203.jpg

They love slugs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

Any idea if it possible to keep them from your garden, any device or anything?? one of the hounds chews them and spits them out. It disgusting :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

leave out a bit of beer for them

• Advertisement
Advertisement