Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer work in construction. Help? :)

• 23-09-2012 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi,

Myself and a few friends are thinking of heading over to Canada this summer.

We are a mixture of civil engineering, mechanical and project & construction mgmt. students. We are also a mixture of 1st and 2nd year students.

Everyone has to start somewhere and as a result we have no actual on site experience, though we all grew up in the countryside are in good physical condition and learn fast.

Would it be difficult to find employment for a summer?
    We'd be good employees, turn up, good attitude.

We would like to get any work Any help would be appreciated.

Also any information on how it is summer-employment wise in Canada.

Big thanks!

:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

Pick a Province, and then Pick a Town/City. Canada is in good shape at the moment with the western Provence's going through a construction Boom. So I figure you'll be alright. Check local job finding website nearer the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Frostine

There are two seasons in Canada, winter and construction! Depending on where you're headed, construction carries on through winter as well. I think you'll be fine to come on over. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭LetsThinkBIG

Wow! Two positive responses!

Would employers be willing to take us on and let us learn on the job?

I dont mean like asking what a hammer is, were not clueless.. But teach us a specific thing? Eg. Putting up dry walls or something comme ca!

Wow! Two positive responses!

Would employers be willing to take us on and let us learn on the job?

I dont mean like asking what a hammer is, were not clueless.. But teach us a specific thing? Eg. Putting up dry walls or something comme ca!

I cant imagine anyone will be willing to train you. If your not well experienced they wont waste there time hiring you. You could still get work, at a much reduced pay rate, and don't expect the boss to be a nice guy. expect slave labour.

I'm speaking from my experience of the construction industry on 3 continents.. I may be wrong of course.

If you want to learn something, labour for a subcontractor doing the specific thing your interested in, Plasterboard(Drywall), Tiling, Roofing, whatever. Yet I still couldn't imagine you learning a whole lot or ever being allowed do anything other than clean up and carry materials etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭LetsThinkBIG

I was expecting that tbh.

Though, perhaps I might be lucky.. What about general work for students in Canada?
    I had a friend go to NY and they all had work after a few days, though it was in bakeries, cafes, cinemas etc etc..

• Advertisement

I was expecting that tbh.

Though, perhaps I might be lucky.. What about general work for students in Canada?
    I had a friend go to NY and they all had work after a few days, though it was in bakeries, cafes, cinemas etc etc..

I'm sure you'll find something but it won't be as easy as you'd expect. Canada's highest area of unemployment is among college students who cannot find said work.

Advertisement