Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

In Defence of Hipsters.

• 23-09-2012 1:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭

Can't think of anything.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Win

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

thread of the millenium

im so drunk i'm singing along to damien rice songs and I still think this is awesome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Can't think of anything.

Pfffft! I was thinking of nothing waaaay before you were!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Pfffft! I was thinking of nothing waaaay before you were!

Really? I have the soundtrack to "Thinking of Nothing" on vinyl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I'm not surprised none of you ever heard of reasons to defend hipsters. They're pretty big in Japan though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Dave Gilmour's (Pink Floyd) son has to be the ultimate hipster, the little prick got himself jailed for swinging out of the Union flag at one of the war memorial monuments sites in London. Stupid little pleb thinking he's all repressed. Daddy's millions couldn't keep him out of chokie.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Rigol

well...1 defense...they're not as frustrating as the Fr Damo Oasis fan types of the 90's.

barely.

Vinyl shminyl!

I was at "Thinking of Nothing"'s first ever gig.

I didn't let the fact that it took place 3 years before I was born get in the way either, a true fan wouldn't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ppppffft Im was reading the "Thinking of Nothing" sheet music while using my stripy scarf for auto-erotic asphyxiation and shoving lenseless glasses up my arse before it was on vinyl

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ehmjay

Dave Gilmour's (Pink Floyd) son has to be the ultimate hipster, the little prick got himself jailed for swinging out of the Union flag at one of the war memorial monuments sites in London. Stupid little pleb thinking he's all repressed. Daddy's millions couldn't keep him out of chokie.
    hipsters or hippys?

• Advertisement

Rigol wrote: »
    well...1 defense...they're not as frustrating as the Fr Damo Oasis fan types of the 90's.

barely.

I was a Fr Damo Oasis fan in the 80s!

ehmjay wrote: »
    hipsters or hippys?

Hipsters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Ristiano Conaldo

Starbelgrade, you have way too many posts, you need to get out more.

Dude, you're on the internet at 1:44am on a Saturday Night.

You are a Pot! A Black Pot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Ristiano Conaldo

Dude, you're on the internet at 1:44am on a Saturday Night.

You are a Pot! A Black Pot!
    Racist!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Ristiano Conaldo you have way too few posts, you need to get in more.

Racist!!!

I am not racist!

I hate all pots equally!

I am out. I'm in a nightclub and have brought my desktop which the girl at the desk has kindly let me plug into the router.

I would use my iPhone, but I don't want to look like a dickhead.

I am out. I'm in a nightclub and have brought my desktop which the girl at the desk has kindly let me plug into the router.

You're in Starbucks on your laptop aren't you?

I knew you were a bloody hipster!

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

So a hipster is ... person that looks like mr pringle from the waist up, but marky ramone from the waist down is it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

is it a 386 or 486? windows 3 or 3.1?
    what dos version??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

So a hipster is ... person that looks like mr pringle from the waist up, but marky ramone from the waist down is it

Yep but they were also that before you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Great, another thread insulting hipsters. I was insulting them before it became cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

I was a hipster, but then a dinosaur came along and stepped on my beats, so I KILLED ALL THE DINOSAURS! :D

I was only defending myself! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

My flatmate was dressing like a hipster before hipster was actually a thing. Does this make him a double hipster or cancel it out?

No joking here, but my mate started going out with a girl who we'd heard was a bit hipster.

I'm into my music so she started asking me about it and I noticed whenever i'd mention a band she said she was a fan........... I became a bit suspicious so I turned to my mate (not her boyfriend), winked so he knew what I was about to do and started making up band names.

Of course, she had heard of them all! She liked The Polish Hammer, but she was only a fan of the early stuff of Chris Bart-Williams

She liked The Polish Hammer

Lots of women like a polished hammer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I have something. They buy stupid crap which helps the economy. You can profit off of idiots

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,520 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I remember you defending tight pants star, I know your secret...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

Ugh, I'm gonna love the all Ireland tomorrow for all the reasons you wont. You wouldn't understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

WTF is a hipster??

No joking here, but my mate started going out with a girl who we'd heard was a bit hipster.

I'm into my music so she started asking me about it and I noticed whenever i'd mention a band she said she was a fan........... I became a bit suspicious so I turned to my mate (not her boyfriend), winked so he knew what I was about to do and started making up band names.

Of course, she had heard of them all! She liked The Polish Hammer, but she was only a fan of the early stuff of Chris Bart-Williams

Maybe she had him confused with his brother Chris, yknow, the basketball player? Sure confused the hell outta me! :(

Maybe she had him confused with his brother Chris, yknow, the basketball player? Sure confused the hell outta me! :(

wha'?

Mickey H wrote: »
    WTF is a hipster??

Thinly veiled, "I'm so cool, I don't know what a hipster is" post. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

When I was in college, we'd have a party at Chritmas and everyone would dress up in the naffest, most hideously retro jumpers. They were truly horrible, but it was all part of the fun.

Walking through Dublin the other day, and there were the same type of jumpers for sale in the likes of Burton and Next, and self-consciously cool followers of fashion buying them.

They try to be individual, and yet they clamour around certain items because it's been identified as "in" by someone else. Weird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

10 points to Gryffindor for the OP.

10/10

Einhard wrote: »
    When I was in college, we'd have a party at Chritmas and everyone would dress up in the naffest, most hideously retro jumpers. They were truly horrible, but it was all part of the fun.

Walking through Dublin the other day, and there were the same type of jumpers for sale in the likes of Burton and Next, and self-consciously cool followers of fashion buying them.

They try to be individual, and yet they clamour around certain items because it's been identified as "in" by someone else. Weird.

My mate wears them! Along with needlessly pointy shoes!

Doesn't matter how much stick we give him, he continues to wear them! Today he looked like a curtain!

wha'?

From your link:
    He is not to be confused with his brother, also named Chris, who is 6'7" and plays basketball professionally.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Your a hipster arnt you ? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Thinly veiled, "I'm so cool, I don't know what a hipster is" post. :D

I just did a search for it and now I wish I hadn't. That sh1t can't be unlearned. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

The whole hatred of hipsters thing.

Kind of hip now ain't it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

The whole hatred of hipsters thing.

Kind of hip now ain't it..

Dont be silly its not hatred its utter sheer loathing ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Vinyl shminyl!

I was at "Thinking of Nothing"'s first ever gig.

Sorry dude, but I was in the same room when "Thinking of Nothing" were just talking about getting together.

In fact do you know how at the very end of the original version of David Bowie's "Life On Mars" you can hear a telephone ringing in the background? Well at the end of Thinking of Nothing's first demo tape (yes, I said "tape"!) you can hear me **** thunderously in the background while peeping in their letterbox. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Einhard wrote: »

Thats the Paradox of Hipsterism, they all try to be different which in turn is what make them all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

TBF Hipsters >>>>>>>>>>> Chavs

So that's one good thing about them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Zuckerkorn

Festy wrote: »
    TBF Hipsters >>>>>>>>>>> Chavs

So that's one good thing about them :)

But,

Nazis > Hipsters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,827 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I'd love to slag off hipsters but everyone else does it, and I want to be unique.... so I won't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

If you're still wearing bootcut jeans, you can't claim any moral high ground over hipsters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

If you're still wearing bootcut jeans, you can't claim any moral high ground over hipsters.
    Huh?

• Advertisement
Advertisement