Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Learning Arabic

Options
  • 23-09-2012 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

I'm off to the Middle East for the next year possibly two, and I'd really love to come back with a firm grasp of Arabic. Unfortunately, the nature of my job means I won't pick it up at work. Is it a difficult language to pick up?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

I find Listening/speaking easier than reading/writing. But of course with formal study and practice the writing comes easier aswell. Don't treat the writing as a barrier or a code.

There are fewer words in a sentence structure than English so questions can be short. I use because I was asked من أين Min Ayna "Where are you from"? (from where). And في fi There is/There are/Is there?/Are there?

If you won't need the Arabic spoken where you are for work, hopefully you can improve your conversation skills at your leisure.
    If you are studying formally, then for longevity it may be an idea to concentrate on one of the main branches of the language. Levant, Cairo, Gulf.

Forgive me, when you say "Middle East" this doesn't narrow your destination down for me at all. In my lifetime I have heard Cyprus, Algeria, Iran and Yemen been formally described as The Middle East. I believe none of the people using the phrase would ever use the phrase the Near East.

Good Luck with the new job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Thanks for the reply. Is it a difficult language do you think? You're right about the Middle East thing- doesn't exactly narrow it down! I'm off to Abu Dhabi.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

Einhard wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Is it a difficult language do you think? You're right about the Middle East thing- doesn't exactly narrow it down! I'm off to Abu Dhabi.

Thanks for the clarification, also I meant anyone using the phrase "Middle east" for Cyprus or Algeria wouldn't know what Near East was.
    Difficult: There may be new grammar rules for you e.g Plurals are single,Dual and many. It is tricky but the spoken isn't a trick and has consistent sounds aswell. There will be learning plateaus. But know that what you are learning, you will be able to use again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rockey01

If you going to give advice, give correct advice..

من اين انت" Where are you from" is min ayna anta (Masculine) and ( من اين انتِ min ayna anti ( F). في "Fi" means " IN " not there is as you stated. ... هناك ليس hunaka laysa means There isn't. hunaka هناك on it own means "there is ..". هل هناك hal hunaka means "is there?

The alphabet is probably one of the most difficult things to grasp because it changes in how it looks depending on where in the word it appears.. I'd try and get a few classes before you go..

Best of luck.

Advertisement