Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A quick question regarding the Lumia 920

Options
  • 23-09-2012 7:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭

I've seen a huge amount of hype around this phone, but I'm finding it difficult to get impressed by it. Especially after microsoft seems to have essentially just dropped support for all "windows phone 7" phones.

Any time there's a post about new phones coming out there seems to be a glut of "I'm getting the Lumia 920" posts with no justification behind them short of colour.

I can understand if the maps thing is a bit of an issue now due to the storm in a teacup that is iOS 6 maps, but google maps is still available on android phones and will be ported over to the iPhone again soon enough so that isn't a real issue for most people.

So seriously what is the big draw?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,529 ✭✭✭✭fits

I've seen a huge amount of hype around this phone, but I'm finding it difficult to get impressed by it. Especially after microsoft seems to have essentially just dropped support for all "windows phone 7" phones.

They havent dropped support for WP7 phones. They're just not updating them to WP8... same as Apple dont update the old iphones to their latest iOS.

Its still supported and WP7 phones will still get an update when WP8 comes out so that it looks the same.

The reason I chose Windows Phone is that I just dont think android phones are secure and the system is so fragmented that updating is really an issue. And I cant stand itunes, and the closed system that apple operates. Windows Phone is a happy medium and is lovely to use. I have an Omnia 7 for 18 months now and its a great phone and a great OS. I'd like to get the lumia mainly because of the great camera (although the omnia takes fab photos) and Nokia Drive is another big draw for me. But I'll probably keep the omnia7 for a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Any time there's a post about new phones coming out there seems to be a glut of "I'm getting the Lumia 920" posts with no justification behind them short of colour.

I can understand if the maps thing is a bit of an issue now due to the storm in a teacup that is iOS 6 maps, but google maps is still available on android phones and will be ported over to the iPhone again soon enough so that isn't a real issue for most people.

Do you mean no justification apart from it being the most highly specked smartphone ever ? Not sue why you mentioned WP 7 in the post as the 920 is a WP8 device only, so maybe it's just a red herring, one which is fully answered above. Also, I think you'll find that the 920 was touted before the whole iOS 6 maps farrago (have to say I love the satellite view though)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,997 ✭✭✭kirving

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

First off the thing you'll spend most of your time using (screen) is far better on the Lumia 920 than any other moblie phone, also the camera is far better too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

I forgot to attach this:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Cause I love the way it looks. Love the colours, hopefully will grab a yellow or red 920.

Best in class camera and I prefer windows phone ui to android or iOS. Xbox live is another bonus for me too. Games on Android aren't as much fun cause you don't have friends to complete with.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭penguinbloke

Fair enough, the windows 7 bit was just because it doesn't really shine as an example of good precedent when it comes to supporting older phones, or more to the point, applications being available in the future should there be any future updates to the os.

The phone does look great, but again there's nothing earthshaking that makes me want to rush to upgrade. That said the same is true of most of the new phones this year.

I'll take a look at it once it's actually released and make up my mind then.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The changes they have made for WP8 make future updates far more likely in the future. With WP8 they have moved to the Windows 8 core, so it's sharing a lot of the 'under the covers' stuff with the main Windows branch rather than being a barely related offshoot of it. It's very unlikely that they'll drop support for Windows itself :)

Microsoft's standard MO with a new product range is typically to bring out a V1 of a product, use that to learn a bunch of lessons, then scrap V1 and do V2 properly. I don't think they necessarily do it on purpose, it's just natural that when you bring out something completely new, you are going to realise down the road what fundamental mistakes were made. I can understand WP7 owners getting annoyed, but personally I kind of expected that going in, and with WP7.8 still in development there's still some life left in the WP7 platform.

As for the 920 specifically:
    -The camera would be a big selling point for me. I have shaky hands and it really shows in any pictures/videos I take. Low light performance is supposed to be very good too which is another big plus.
    -The screen sounds fantastic, the big thing for me would be the ability to see it clearly in bright light, but the extra resolution is a nice feature as well.
    -Wireless charging is nice, I have it with a HP Touchpad and it's much more useful than I thought.
    -I already have a Nokia 710, and I love the Nokia apps (Drive especially), I don't think I'd want a phone without them.

Advertisement