Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacment battery under warranty

Options
  • 23-09-2012 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

i purchased a secondhand jeep about 2 months ago all in good will which is no problem, after about 2 weeks of use i noticed that the battery was going flat pretty quickly and figured it needed to be replaced as the car is 10yrd old and i thought it was probably the first battery in the jeep. So i rang the main dealer(a very large reputable dealer in north dublin) and asked them for a price and was told €180 with a 2 year warranty. I eventually got a bosch one from a motor factor for €120. happy days.! I knew the battery was buried in the boot somewhere so i started stripping and eventually found it, when i replaced it with the new battery all is perfect now. However when i was putting the old battery into the shed after i noticed a sticker on the top of it with the main dealers name and a date of 11/03/2011.
    So i rang the main dealer to let them know that the battery i just took out should be still under warranty after they told me there was a 2 year warranty with new batteries on the phone. So yes there is BUT in order for them to honour it rather then putting the dead battery in the boot of the jeep and giving it to them to test they want me to remove the new perfect working battery from the jeep, put the old flat battery back into the jeep, either jump start it or call the AA to help get it going. i now need to book the jeep in for them to test the battery and if they feel that the jeep is the cause of the battery going flat they will not replace it and will charge me for the 4 hours labour it took to test it. if they feel the battery is faulty after this test they will replace it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

beebaw wrote: »
    i purchased a secondhand jeep about 2 months ago all in good will which is no problem, after about 2 weeks of use i noticed that the battery was going flat pretty quickly and figured it needed to be replaced as the car is 10yrd old and i thought it was probably the first battery in the jeep. So i rang the main dealer(a very large reputable dealer in north dublin) and asked them for a price and was told €180 with a 2 year warranty. I eventually got a bosch one from a motor factor for €120. happy days.! I knew the battery was buried in the boot somewhere so i started stripping and eventually found it, when i replaced it with the new battery all is perfect now. However when i was putting the old battery into the shed after i noticed a sticker on the top of it with the main dealers name and a date of 11/03/2011.
    So i rang the main dealer to let them know that the battery i just took out should be still under warranty after they told me there was a 2 year warranty with new batteries on the phone. So yes there is BUT in order for them to honour it rather then putting the dead battery in the boot of the jeep and giving it to them to test they want me to remove the new perfect working battery from the jeep, put the old flat battery back into the jeep, either jump start it or call the AA to help get it going. i now need to book the jeep in for them to test the battery and if they feel that the jeep is the cause of the battery going flat they will not replace it and will charge me for the 4 hours labour it took to test it. if they feel the battery is faulty after this test they will replace it.

Where's the consumer issue?, if they ate at fault, they pay, if they are not at fault, you pay. Seems reasonable to have battery in situ when they are testing it, could you drive to their garage with new battery in then replace old battery when it is parked in garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

You can test the voltage from a battery and the output from an alternator using a voltmeter in less than 5 mins. The battery doesn't even need to be in the car. Where are they getting 4 hours from. If the alternator is the problem your new battery will be flat in a couple of days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

They are pulling a fast one by making it harder for you to be entitled to a new battery. Contact the SIMI and ask their advice on how to proceed.

Advertisement