Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish girl missing in Melbourne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

please god someone on these images will come forward

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I don't think this thread should be turned into an excuse for a troll fest, have a bit of respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Just seen the thread, is there any news, I really hope this turns out to be one of the better outcomes,

so sad and so tough for everyone she is connected to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭madma

lived in melbourne for 6months when i was in oz for 1yr back around 8 years ago and there was defo parts of the city which were dodgy, i was in st kilda but i think brunswick is the other side of the city?

Theyve got to get hold of that guy in the blue hoody, IMO he's involved with her abduction, you can see her sort of sway out towards the road as if he was bothering her, and he walks by that shop a few times looking very suspicious, he also looks dodgy...

terrible to hear this and hope to god they get to the bottom of this soon, surely somebody knows something.. its been 6 days and like most you can only fear the worst :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

This story is frightening me for a few reasons, mostly because I have a lot of friends living in Melbourne. Some of them are in Carlton and Fitzroy which are not too far from Brunswick and quiet a few of them are women the same age profile as Jill.

Out of curiosity I did a trace of her route on Google streetview from the pub, past the boutique and then to the apartments. The left turn she would take on to Hope St after the boutique is no more than 50m away. Police have said that she must have made the turn or abducted (I am implying the abduction) before it as she is not on CCTV from north of the turn.

On streetview Hope St does not look like the most hospitable place in Melbourne and at 1:45am it certainly wouldn't be the safest, it looks an awful lot quieter than Sydney Road. However the old adage that the "other side of the tracks" rings very true in this case. Once Jill crossed the train tracks on Hope St she was effectively at her apartment and the standard of neighborhood changes completely.

In total it was 400m from the boutique to her apartment. Scary.

Hope to God it has a happy ending but I must say I fear the worst for her.

Also this http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/national/man-with-hoodie-attacked-me-deveny-20120926-26lwy.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭el dude

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/police-wont-comment-on-new-jill-footage-20120927-26m8r.html

Blood ran cold at the description of this apparent new CCTV footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

This is awful. Every night since it happened I think of poor Jill and pray/hope that she's found.
    I lived on Blyth st, just south. Sydney Road is busy artery and after midnight changes from 40 to 60kmph so it's unlikely motorists will have much info. Though in the CCTV it seems a white BMW does stop briefly on the other side of the road?
    Hopefully those passers by contact police. The guy in hoodie is up to something.
    At the corner of Hope and Sydney she is about the same distance from home as she is to the police station just north on Sydney. If only she had gone there if she was feeling harassed.

Brunswick was a very working class suburb with lots of industry and their warehouses. These days much of this has been knocked and converted into apartments. So what you get is fancy new apartments very close to deserted old warehouses and stores. Hope St is mainly used in business hours as a short cut west to Melville road as Sydney road gets choked up. It's basically empty warehouses/stores from Sydney to a block beyond the railway line. Beyond this, it's residential with family homes, unlikely to be out late. During daylight it looks fine but yes it's not great after dark. Their apartment is just across the railway line by an old converted foundry, now trendy cafe.
    The local newspaper 'Moreland Leader' had reported assaults around Albert st (south of Hope) in recent times, but maybe that's coincidence.

I just hope to god she's found soon.
    I've now read that piece in the Age and feel physically sick. That is chilling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

A new witness has told police a car did a sudden U-turn towards Ms Meagher as a man wearing a blue hoodie closed in. The new CCTV footage showed the car and also a second man walking some distance ahead of Ms Meagher, the witness said last night

I hope she is found safe & well

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

It really is horrifying. My thoughts are with Jill and her family, the stress and worry must be unbearable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Please God let her be alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Lets keep in mind the purpose of why this instantly became a Sticky.

Where you or anyone you know in Brunswick on the Saturday Morning (Friday Night) the 21st into the 22nd September 2012.

Did you see Jill that night?

Did you see a male matching the Blue hooded male?

Have you any photos at all of the Brunswick Sydney Road area that night, check the backgrounds for persons? Remember some photos will show who is not there which can be important.

Were you you in Bar Etiquette or the Brunswick Green that night?

Share the Facebook page

You can contribute on the Crimestoppers website
    https://vic.crimestoppers.com.au/

(Its a good idea as the information you have can be laid out plainly)

We are Irish we can spot each others accents across a room filled with banter. If you are male you can spot a girl that looks like Jill from twice that distance.

Do you know people that may be able to help but are just not wanting to bring themselves to the attention of Police due to being illegal concerns etc

The Victoria Police are currently tearing though every aspect of Jills life trying to find her.

She is one of ours help them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭lippy11

It's just so sad! I can't even begin to imagine what her husband, family and friends are going through.

It has started to make me think.. I walk to and from the train station on a daily basis, I have no idea what sort of weirdos are along those streets! Currently considering trying to find a self defence class in my local area.. I hope to god I never have to use any defence in my lifetime but I think, with the way the world is going, it will be an advantage to me if I can in anyway learn how to protect myself if I find myself in such a situation.

And we may all think, ah sure I only live down the road, I'll walk home... Because that's what that poor girl thought... Grab a taxi, call a friend for a lift.. Just don't walk.

Thoughts and prayers are with those close to Jill. Lets all hope for her safe return.

I can't really do anything from Aberdeen but spread the world. I hope she is found quickly and securely.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Just heard on the news that police have arrested a 41yr old male in connection with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

The 41 year old man has been arrested on suspicion of abduction and murder. Looks like this case has come to the end we all feared. Thoughts are with the family. Such a sad sad story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

augh man so sad, thoughts are with the family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I feel sick :(:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

I hope the poor girl did not suffer at the hands of this monster.

We all have girlfriends, wives, sisters etc who walk home like this after a few drinks from time to time. This would make you think twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

The 41 year old man has just been charged with abduction and murder. Looks like this case has come to the end we all feared. Thoughts are with the family. Such a sad sad story.

Sorry I don't have a link but it was breaking news on Channel 7 a minute ago.

He has not been charged with anything yet. Shouldn't really post this stuff until it has been verified mate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

He's been arrested but not charged. And reports say he is the blue hooded man in CCTV footage

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

hussey wrote: »
    He's been arrested but not charged. And reports say he is the blue hooded man in CCTV footage
    This case has really touched a nerve,iv often walked home alone from the local pub thinkin id be grand.gutted for her husband and family,cant imagine how they feel

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I was looking at the Mirrror today during my break at work and it had a picture of the CCTV with the man in the blue hoody with the headline is this Jill's killer. I mean in all likely hood she is but there is allways hope it was a bit idiotic to have a headline like that (it is a redtop so wht am I suprised).

I was looking at the Mirrror today during my break at work and it had a picture of the CCTV with the man in the blue hoody with the headline is this Jill's killer. I mean in all likely hood she is but there is allways hope it was a bit idiotic to have a headline like that (it is a redtop so wht am I suprised).

direct it somewhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

gjc wrote: »
    direct it somewhere else

What you mean HOPE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Advertisement