Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish girl missing in Melbourne

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

jackbhoy wrote: »

He has not been charged with anything yet. Shouldn't really post this stuff until it has been verified mate

Apologies, I thought the breaking news report said he had been charged. I'll edit my original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Waiting all week since first news on Monday morning and feeds on FB late Sunday night hoping for her safe return and anything but this outcome,i feel gutted for the family and friends of poor Jill.
    It's left me feeling sick and without words.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Horrible ending.

Monsters like this need to be made an example of.

The poor family, cannot begin to imagine their pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

In a way it hopefully is some closure for both families (Tom and Jill).

At times like this it would make you thing of Jo Jo Dollard, Annie McCarrick and all the girls that have vanished and never a break through of any description.

Big credit is due to the Victoria police that they have pushed so hard before the trail went cold. Oz is a big place and once out of town it would be very easy to fly below the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

+1 on australian police....

impossibly, unbearably sad how can a family get through that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

What a savage thing to do. Poor girl. Can only imagine if it was a relative. I hope they throw away the key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I am going to unsticky this now.

There was only a glimmer of hope but until now there was hope.

Sadly now we just have to wait for the morning and see what comes of the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭PopTarts

I don't even want to think about her last moments.

Awful end to an awful story.

Her friends and family over the past week described a lovely, friendly, beautiful woman. Really can't understand what would motivate someone to do this.

R.I.P. Jill.

To people everywhere, especially women, accept the offer to be walked home if it comes from a friend / loved one, get a taxi to your door, don't speak to strangers, if you feel at risk call somebody, be safe always. Don't assume it won't happen to you!

Nobody wants this to happen to them or someone they love.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Tis very very sad, no words, none.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

41-year old Coburg man charged with rape and murder of Jill Meagher, whose body was found on the side of a road near Gisborne.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-27/man-charged-with-rape-murder-of-jill-meagher/4284826

RIP Jill Meagher.

Condolences to her family, friends and colleagues. I hope they receive the support they need to help them through this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 kautostar

So so sad... From the minute the CCTV was posted and the photo-fit was matched up with that guy that did the other 3 attacks we all knew the outcome. Hope he rots in hell and all of her family and friends find some sort of closure in this, even though they are empty words at a time like this i'd imagine. RIP Jillian

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

kautostar wrote: »
    So so sad... From the minute the CCTV was posted and the photo-fit was matched up with that guy that did the other 3 attacks we all knew the outcome. Hope he rots in hell and all of her family and friends find some sort of closure in this, even though they are empty words at a time like this i'd imagine. RIP Jillian

Tragic news. RIP Jill

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

RIP Jill Meagher.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 elliott550

So so sad. RIP Jill Meagher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

What a monster, even though I didn't know Jill or any relations of her's my hatred for this so called human knows no bounds. I really hope he develops a really slow burning disease that eats him from the inside out. What a despicable excuse of a person.

From only ever seeing one photo and a few grainy stills of CCTV Jill was a beautiful person, a great smile and probably a great wife.

Rest in Peace Jill Meagher.

This Bayley dickhead deserves to die slowly and painfully. Very painfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

May that guy burn in the depts of hell! So sad for that poor girl and her family
    RIP Jill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

RIP Jill Meagher.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭supermouse

Such a tragic story! I've been thinking of Jill and her family all week, i cant even begin to imagine what they must be going through.

RIP Jill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

So unbelievably sad that it came to this conclusion. I can’t imagine how Jill’s family and friends are coping, it’s every husband, brother, sister, parent, friend’s worst nightmare come true, like everyone on here my thoughts are with them and I really hope they eventually find some peace out of this senseless act.

Myself and my girlfriend live a few mins from where Jill was taken and my gf had walked home from pub just a few hours before this happened. It really teaches us something about the fickleness of the bubble we live our lives in when something like this can happen and everything changes. We had breakfast at Lux Foundry on Saturday morning and when I think of spending a lovely sunny morning with my gf and enjoying the great lifestyle we moved to Melbourne for while just metres away at Jill’s apartment her husband must have been in absolute torment, his world turned upside. It makes me so sad and almost guilty to think about that but also makes me realise how little any of the crap that I worry about every day really means and how lucky I am to live every day without my life being touched by something like this.

As others have said as well the Victoria Police, and the homicide team in particular, have done an amazing job here and deserve to be commended. We all like to bag the cops but when something like this happens we soon realise the importance of the work they do. In our tiny dealing with them they were ultra professional and thorough while at the same time being compassionate and understanding, it’s not an easy job and certainly not one I could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

RIP Jill. A tragic end to a young life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 kautostar

Great post Jackbhoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Terrible news and may she rest in peace. Really could happen to any young woman in any big city which is why I never ever let anyone I'm out with go home on their own, no matter how much they insist.

Also, some clown who knows nothing about her before this week and has no connections to the family has set up a 'tribute' page on Facebook, posting pics of her and making comment on the situation. I find this sort of thing in extremely bad taste, if anyone's doing something like that it should be the family not some randomer. What's just as bad is people on my timeline liking the page and encouraging it :mad:

/rant

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

RIP Jill such a sad day. You never think something like this Could happen it makes you sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭manlad

This tragic case serves as a reminder that no matter how close to home you may be after a night out its always best to take a taxi or be with a group of friends.

Jill was an innocent victim in the wrong place at the wrong time. I also have to commend the swift actions of the Victorian police.

R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

Court date set for the 18th Jan.

I am just wondering if he was alone, as there was reports of a car speeding in the direction of Jil and yer man on brunswick st., also on sky news this morning they reported that neighbours in the area where Jils body was discovered said they heard several cars pulling up in the early hours of the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

jackbhoy wrote: »
    So unbelievably sad that it came to this conclusion. I can’t imagine how Jill’s family and friends are coping, it’s every husband, brother, sister, parent, friend’s worst nightmare come true, like everyone on here my thoughts are with them and I really hope they eventually find some peace out of this senseless act.

Myself and my girlfriend live a few mins from where Jill was taken and my gf had walked home from pub just a few hours before this happened. It really teaches us something about the fickleness of the bubble we live our lives in when something like this can happen and everything changes. We had breakfast at Lux Foundry on Saturday morning and when I think of spending a lovely sunny morning with my gf and enjoying the great lifestyle we moved to Melbourne for while just metres away at Jill’s apartment her husband must have been in absolute torment, his world turned upside. It makes me so sad and almost guilty to think about that but also makes me realise how little any of the crap that I worry about every day really means and how lucky I am to live every day without my life being touched by something like this.

As others have said as well the Victoria Police, and the homicide team in particular, have done an amazing job here and deserve to be commended. We all like to bag the cops but when something like this happens we soon realise the importance of the work they do. In our tiny dealing with them they were ultra professional and thorough while at the same time being compassionate and understanding, it’s not an easy job and certainly not one I could do.

Well said mate. Sums up my sentiments on it exactly.

What possible punishment do you give to someone like this? We had this discussion today. My preference would be to have him locked in a dark room for the rest of his life with nothing but his thoughts and drive himself to insanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Terrible news and may she rest in peace. Really could happen to any young woman in any big city which is why I never ever let anyone I'm out with go home on their own, no matter how much they insist.

Also, some clown who knows nothing about her before this week and has no connections to the family has set up a 'tribute' page on Facebook, posting pics of her and making comment on the situation. I find this sort of thing in extremely bad taste, if anyone's doing something like that it should be the family not some randomer. What's just as bad is people on my timeline liking the page and encouraging it :mad:

/rant
    +1

Jill's husband this morning...
    "Outside court, Mr Meagher said: "I just wanted to say very briefly that despite the fact that this is the worst thing we’ll ever go through in our lives, I've been really humbled by the support from the Australian public, the fine efforts of police and all of the friends, family who’ve put their lives on hold to help us out.

"And while I appreciate all the support, I would just like to mention that negative comments on social media may hurt legal proceedings, so please be mindful of that".

Also from the Age
    "University of Canberra journalism academic Julie Posetti said users needed to be aware of potential implications of "trial by social media" by posting about the accused.
    "In this particular case, it would be awful to think about the potential consequences including an incapacity to prosecute somebody because of trial by social media, for example," said Ms Posetti, who is writing a PhD on Twitter's role in journalism.
    "We all are very familiar with the term trial by media and it's a real problem, but we also now need to be aware of the potential implications of trial by social media.
    "Practically, [and speaking] generically, as soon as a person is arrested, we need to stop talking about what we think we know about that individual because there is a risk that his or her defence lawyers could argue that there's no possibility for a fair trial in this country for the person who's accused, because so much information has been published."

This criminal deserves the harshest punishment available and it would be horrendous if social media interferes with that.

I'm working in Brunswick today and I have to say it's very flat here; all the traders/locals are deeply affected by this tragedy.
    RIP Jill Meagher

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Traq

I'm working in Brunswick today and I have to say it's very flat here; all the traders/locals are deeply affected by this tragedy.
    RIP Jill Meagher

Yeah, I live in Brunswick and the entire area is distraught at what happened. It really is shocking to think that something like this can happen on your doorstep.

My heart really goes out to Jill's friends and family, I can't even begin to imagine what they're going through.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

222322.jpg

Mod Guys I'll ask people to follow this advice. It's absolutely heart breaking story, so let's hope justice prevails.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭haulagebasher

That was a terrible end. RIP.

But at the same time I suppose it is something at least that the family now know what happened and can have some kind of closure. Unlike the families of all the girls and young women who disappeared in Leinster during the 90's who never found out nothing.

Fair play to the Victoria Police, they didn't waste time and got going quick and got a suspect arrested and charged. If only the Gardai were a bit more efficient and professional like them and not so ham fisted we might have found out what happened to those girls in the Vanishing Triangle. Thats sad.:mad:

Advertisement