Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish girl missing in Melbourne

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

That was a terrible end. RIP.

But at the same time I suppose it is something at least that the family now know what happened and can have some kind of closure. Unlike the families of all the girls and young women who disappeared in Leinster during the 90's who never found out nothing.

Fair play to the Victoria Police, they didn't waste time and got going quick and got a suspect arrested and charged. If only the Gardai were a bit more efficient and professional like them and not so ham fisted we might have found out what happened to those girls in the Vanishing Triangle. Thats sad.:mad:

Very true, the amount of unsolved killings of females here is a disgrace. Personally I don't think Larry did all of them, He is just being used as a scapegoat to cover up the complete uselessness of the investigations.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

With Melbourne being such a great place to live I think its easy to forget that It does have its fair share of whack jobs. I'd always meet the missus at the tram stop If she is coming home from work by herself.. St Kilda isn't somewhere I want my GF walking around at night by herself.

Rest in Peace Jill

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

charlemont wrote: »
    Very true, the amount of unsolved killings of females here is a disgrace. Personally I don't think Larry did all of them, He is just being used as a scapegoat to cover up the complete uselessness of the investigations.

Thats unfair on the gardai.The Irish victims vanished 15-20 years ago in rural areas and small villages.It was highly unlikely that there would be cctv footage or any witnesses in those circumstances.The victoria police have done a fantastic job but if it wasnt for that clip from the bridal store they would probably be scratching their heads as well.

Very very sad.I,ve no doubt that whoever did this is a completely selfish sociopath with no remorse whatsoever.Watched the cctv clip there and the thing that struck me most is how busy the street was.In those 2 minutes there was 6 people walking past and loads of cars and a bus as well.You honestly would feel pretty safe on that street given how busy it was.Scary stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭haulagebasher

charlemont wrote: »

While I agree that he probably is not responsible for all disappearances of young women in the 90s I would certainly think he had something to do the Vanishing Triangle ones. I was reading the Blood Brothers book that came with the Sunday World there the other day. Some frightening stuff in it. They say (and it's on wikipedia) that he could have had an accomplice.

Anyway the guy who was arrested and brought to court and the cool, calm demeanour he supposedly had and the fat that he did not make any fuss or anything strikes me as being remarkably similar to the demeanour that Larry Murphy exhibited in court. If we look at what happened in that case we see he also created no fuss and was very cool and calm about the whole thing. In my opinion it would seem this guy is of a similar breed. It was rumoured that another woman was the victim of an attempted abduction not so long ago in the same area so, again, there is another similarity in terms of the tendency to repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

jonsnow wrote: »
    Thats unfair on the gardai.The Irish victims vanished 15-20 years ago in rural areas and small villages.It was highly unlikely that there would be cctv footage or any witnesses in those circumstances.The victoria police have done a fantastic job but if it wasnt for that clip from the bridal store they would probably be scratching their heads as well.

Very very sad.I,ve no doubt that whoever did this is a completely selfish sociopath with no remorse whatsoever.Watched the cctv clip there and the thing that struck me most is how busy the street was.In those 2 minutes there was 6 people walking past and loads of cars and a bus as well.You honestly would feel pretty safe on that street given how busy it was.Scary stuff.

Even though we all like to do a bit of amateur Poirot work I would guess that the police had more CCTV footage than they released. If they had footage of her being grabbed, harassed, abducted or in the process of it there is no way they could release it. It would cause pandemonium and completely jeopardize their investigation.

Detectives are funny sort of people, in an investigation they want you to think you know something they don't while they already know twice as much. Its a bit different to what you see on TV. It's only when they get a real cold b****** like Larry Murphy that they cant break him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I think it was fitting that this morning was probably the darkest morning I have experienced in Melbourne. Have never seen the city in such darkness at 9am, as a thunderstorm passed by. Sums up the mood of many in the city today. A dark day for Melbourne and for Irish people living here :( RIP Jill Meagher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

jonsnow wrote: »

I agree, CCTV footage is of huge assistance to police in piecing together a timelime of events, and even more so here as it showed the victim and abductor actually talking to each other. I'd still like to know how they got around to identifying the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

RIP Jill Meagher.

Condolences to the family and friends.

She was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, poor girl.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bogwarryor

I wanna physically hurt that motherf****r so bad, what a world we live in where such a thing can happen to a nice person & family; it's not fair. At least she lived good & was remembered well. And it's good that the cops did teir jobs well & fast!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Very very sad. Rip Jill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Pisco Sour wrote: »
    I think it was fitting that this morning was probably the darkest morning I have experienced in Melbourne. Have never seen the city in such darkness at 9am, as a thunderstorm passed by. Sums up the mood of many in the city today. A dark day for Melbourne and for Irish people living here :( RIP Jill Meagher

I recall responding to my wife about that yesterday and saying the city is in tears.

There is a reason my sig is what is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Dated my brother for about 3 years.. Really couldn't believe it when he told me it was her... Remember her well, really was a genuinely nice person.

Such a waste of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

So sad for her family and friends, RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

id just like to say it was really touching the amount of people who turned out for this and not just irish people.people from all walks of life.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-09-30/community-to-march-in-honour-of-meagher/4287762

R.I.P jill meagher

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 haulage.basher

The Irish Times i believe it was even published a piece over the weekend pointing out the stark similarities between Bayley and Larry Murphy. I Saw I think it was on one of the red tops that after committing that terrible act on Gill, that Bayley went home to bed with his girlfriend. - It's almost the exact same as when we heard about larry murphy raping and attempted to murder the carlow business woman, he went back to his house and went into bed with his wife.

These two are almost the exact same in terms of demeanour and actions.

And the world spins madly on..

Rest in Peace

May as well re-open this now its all up to the Judge to sentence.

Det Sgt Ron IDDLES and his guys on the Homicide Squad along with the men and women of the Victoria Police should be very proud this weekend.

Condolences to the Meagher Family.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/bayley-pleads-guilty-to-meagher-murder-20130405-2hb9p.html
    It was the moment Jill Meagher's family had been waiting for: Adrian Ernest Bayley finally pleaded guilty to murdering the ABC employee.
    Bayley, 41, had admitted raping Ms Meagher in a Brunswick laneway but denied killing her.
    He was due to stand trial on September 30 for her murder before dramatically changing his plea on Friday.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/bayley-pleads-guilty-to-meagher-murder-20130405-2hb9p.html#ixzz2PfjbuBZ0

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

If there was a death penalty here, he'd deserve it, he even said so himself.

His parents were worried about him a while back
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/law-order/family-warned-authorities-about-jill-meagher-accused-adrian-bayley/story-fnat79vb-1226612460505

Sympathy to all the families involved and hopefully justice will be served for a long long time

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Dats_rite

It still amazes me the reaction I get when I see His name or footage of him come up how huch hatred it musters in me. And equally when I see a photo of Jill I get such a sense of sadness, even after 7 or so months.

I have seen a lot of murders, rapes, killings, bombings and general terrible things in my life but for some reason this crime has really hit home with me.

Maybe its just that i've let my own partner come home after a few drinks on her own in Melbourne regularly in the past. Not sure really.

• Advertisement

His parents were worried about him a while back

I read this and it annoyed me , who did they tell? What did they say?

Its gutter journalism trying to make a story without these important details.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Zambia wrote: »
    I read this and it annoyed me.

I read this and it annoyed the hell out of me.

"After Bayley's arrest, the Herald Sun revealed a government official had tipped him off as police hunted him for Ms Meagher's murder.

The tip-off was investigated by police, who it is believed heard it on intercepted telephone calls.

No action was taken against the female official."

I mean, who is this protected Civil Servant and why are they not down at Centerlink.

Bailey sentenced to 35 Years

And so ends a very sad chapter in the story of the Irish in Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Zambia wrote: »
    Bailey sentenced to 35 Years

And so ends a very sad chapter in the story of the Irish in Australia.

i think that is a good sentence. he deserves the death penalty but they don't have it,and he should have been locked up ages ago but it is a decent sentence imo.
    i shudder to think what he would have got here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cikearney

It's a lot longer than he would have been sentenced for the same crime in Ireland and I can't believe he and his solicitor thought he would walk free because he led they family to her body.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Just watched the husbands interview with Channel 7. Heartbreaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

cikearney wrote: »
    It's a lot longer than he would have been sentenced for the same crime in Ireland
    The murder conviction would have been a mandatory life sentence. And given the history, I imagine the period without parole would have been increased. Maybe not as high as 35 years, but certainly increased.
    and I can't believe he and his solicitor thought he would walk free because he led they family to her body.
    You seriously think that's what they thought?
    I doubt the defense was under any illusions here.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cikearney

I do believe he should have gotten life, and 35 years is a long time but he could live to walk free one day which is wrong. It was being discussed on sbs yesterday that he and his defence believed that he had a case to walk or get a minimul sentence due to the fact he eventually started to cooperate and led the police to her body when many killers have not done this. No matter what the sentence it can never be enough to replace the life he took!

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

And what is Irelands answer.

We release a rapist on bail because the judge feels he has to help look after his two autistic sons

Well lets just hope we dont end up in a situation like Australia........................

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 IrishDownUnder

The justice system is never straight forward or even logical as it should be . It relies on precedents. If something was established in a previous legal case even if it was the 1600 or 1700 then that is followed by the law. So no matter how straight forward a case & judgment may look to the public you never can know. Sometimes cases like these come down to the way a suspect was arrested & interviewed nothing to do with the fact that they murdered someone. They could be totally guilty of a murder and admit to it but if all the T’s aren’t crossed and I’s dotted they can sometimes walk free. The law is blind only cares about law.

That is why this scum of the earth & his lawyer thought he might walk. Even after he admitted he murdered Jill. If his defence could have proven that some part of the arrest or trial was unlawful through any precedents he might have got either a reduced sentence or even as unthinkable this is gone free.

After all they reduced his sentence not because he showed remorse for murdering Jill he never did. Like most murders he was only sorry he got caught. They reduced his sentence because he pled guilty and showed them where he had disposed of Jill.
    They then give him 35 years and call that life. How many people do you know only live to 35 so how can that be a life sentence? Should be a Life for a life. You take someone’s life you give up the right to live your life free.

Jill will never get parole from being dead

Jill's father George sums it up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z_6iPmWeRA

Jill's Husband Tom doesn't feel justice was done . Can you really blame him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_xupNs1fdc

Advertisement