Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turning off hot water in kitchen

• 23-09-2012 10:44am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭

I need to change a washer in the hot tap in my kitchen.

I'm not a plumber but I think I can manage that. The problem is stopping the water before I open up the tap.

I've a hot water cylinder in my hot press. I'm presuming if I turn off the input there and run the hot taps they'll eventually stop. Does this sound correct?
    There is nothing under the kitchen sink to stop water except for the rising main tap.

I've been googling around and have seen posts about airlocks. What's an airlock, is it bad, and am I likely to get one? The house is about 10 years old (if that info is useful).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

You should be able to turn it off at the hot press if there is no stop valve under the sink, once you do this the hot water to your tap should stop pretty much instantaneously,

I might be wrong but I don't remember seeing an airlock from the cylinder to the kitchen sink, I have in the cold, I am not a plumber but would change the washer myself it is not a big job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 439 ✭✭North West

Hi MickoneiL30
    Look in hotpress and see is there a stopcock on hot water pipe coming out of the top of the cylinder somewhere. If there is not find the rising mains pipe to the tanks in attic, there should be a stopcock on it some where. Turn off if there is no stopcock on hot water pipe.

When you get water turned off run hot taps until water stops. If there are no stopcocks anywhere. when water is off. Put a stopcock on hot water pipe to taps in hot press. Also put a penny valve in kitchen on hot water pipe and this will let you turn off water at valve in future very handy, As i came across these problems in my own house with both cold and hot water pipes on toilets,wash hand basins, anywhere you may need to turn off water. I founf them invaluable for changing basin/Bath taps etc. a penny valve is like a copper straight fitting but with a small built in turn off valve.
    NW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

North West wrote: »
    Put a stopcock on hot water pipe to taps in hot press. Also put a penny valve in kitchen on hot water pipe and this will let you turn off water at valve in future very handy,
    NW
    IMHO it would be dangerous to put a stopcock on the HW output from the cylinder. I know in my installation there is a feed off the HW output up to the expansion tank. I believe it is a safety measure in case the cylinder boils over. There is a stopcock on the cold water feed to the cylinder which allows the HW to be cut off.
    I may be totally wrong here and I will let the experts comment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I found it. The stopcock I was turning off yesterday must have been for the radiator feed. At the back of the immersion there was another pipe. I traced that to the tank in the roof. There was a stopcock on that. Once that was turned off, turning on the hot water meant it only flowed for a minute or two then didn't have enough pressure (I'm presuming) to get out of the tank.

Then the instructions on this helped with the washer.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR6vnfNLr-8&feature=g-hist

Thanks for the help lads.

Advertisement