Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fruit Vinegars

Options
  • 23-09-2012 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭

I was given a large amount of strawberries, decided to make strawberry vinegar with some of them, it turned out ok, but now I'm trying to figure out what to use it with, I have one or two ideas, but was wondering if anyone had any interesting uses for fruit vinegars - thanks :)

sv_zps0fb31cb6.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

this is the recipe I used:

1kg strawberries
    600ml cider vinegar or white-wine vinegar
    Granulated sugar

Put the fruit in a bowl and crush lightly with a wooden spoon. Add the vinegar, cover and leave to steep for four to five days, stirring occasionally. Pour the fruit and vinegar into a scalded jelly bag or piece of muslin suspended over a bowl, and leave to drain overnight. You can squeeze it a bit if you like.

Measure the liquid, pour into a saucepan and add 450g of sugar for every 600ml of fruit vinegar. Over a low heat, bring gently to a boil, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Boil for eight to 10 minutes, removing any scum as it rises. Take off the heat and set aside to cool. When cold, bottle and seal. Use within 12 months.

which I found here:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2010/jul/10/vinegar-recipes-hugh-fearnley-whittingstall

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

they look lovely :)
    can be used to finish sauces, dress salads, and adds a nice kick over fresh fruit salad,
    gives a lovely soft hum to french dressing, add to rice.and rice salad, over pork chops, you'll have fun playing around with, I have some since last year, and its improves with age, but the color is starting fade a bit,

Advertisement