Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade current PC or new build?

Options
  • 23-09-2012 11:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

I'm mulling over the decision to either upgrade my current PC or build a new one. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas about what I could or should upgrade. This is a games machine and it still plays a lot of games like Crysis 2 and Skyrim with high graphics with only the occassional chug. Obviously I should ugrade the RAM, what about the processor and graphics card?

Full spec:

Intel Core 2 Duo 3gig

ASUS A8n SLI mobo

4Gb RAM

Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

The main question is what is your budget ?

There is not much point in puting much money in to old tech its ok to get a new gpu as you can then move it with you to a new build or a ssd.

Ddr 2 ram has goten very dear as its not made any more so you would be better of looking on the likes of adverts for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Weren't the A8N motherboards socket 939? - i.e., AMD.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

My bad. The mobo is AbitIP35PRO. I was thinking of my other older computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭kenyard

actually on this topic, is it the motherboard is the main consideration for an upgrade or new build?

i had thought about this also. have a 4 year old pc at home lets say (was ~500-700euro at the time cant remember). if i stuck in a 3rd gen i3 is it possible it would work in it, along with say a decent graphics card + some ram..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

kenyard wrote: »
    actually on this topic, is it the motherboard is the main consideration for an upgrade or new build?

i had thought about this also. have a 4 year old pc at home lets say (was ~500-700euro at the time cant remember). if i stuck in a 3rd gen i3 is it possible it would work in it, along with say a decent graphics card + some ram..?

You would be looking at a new motherboard cpu and ram.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I would have to agree with theknightrider; get a new graphics card for the moment, but you'll be wanting a new build rather than upgrading when it comes to the rest. Most people wouldn't go beyond 4GB anyway, so you wouldn't see huge benefits there.

Advertisement