Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VISA Debit - Fully Maestro compatible?

Options
  • 23-09-2012 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,

my main concern regarding this VISA Debit crossover shenanigan is the following:

Is it Maestro compatible?

Reason behind this is I have a lot of business to do in Germany and Austria and in both countries you are fecked with a foreign VISA or Mastercard. Almost all shops (online and stores) DO NOT accept foreign credit cards, with the exception of major chains. German banks traditionally charge a store owner about €34.00 per transaction on foreign Credit Cards, hence why they don't accept them.

So the Maestro functionality of the Laser card is absolutely vital to my use of my BOI current account.

Will this continue or do I have to close my BOI account and switch to another bank?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi Cloudhopper,

Thanks for your question.

The Visa Debit is not a credit card.
    Although Maestro isn't on the card, you should be able to use it abroad in the same way as your Laser Card as it offers point of sale abroad.

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Cloudhopper

Hi Billy,

thank you very much for your quick reply.

However I'm afraid that "should" isn't a statement that I'd like to rely on when having to access my money when being abroad.

Is there someone who could actually clarify whether the VISA Debit Card retains the Laser's Maestro functionalities beyond "should" and "most likely"?

Thank you.

/Edit:
    AS you might or might not be aware, Maestro is owned by Mastercard and VISA Debit (obviously) by VISA. Which kind of indicates that a VISA Debit card won't be accepted at a Maestro Point of Sale, which is by far the majority in DACH (Germany, Austria, Switzerland).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi Cloudhopper,

Although Visa Debit is accepted worldwide, we cannot guarantee that it will be accepted at every Point of Sale location worldwide. You would need to check with the individual retailer. It is accepted where the Visa logo/symbol is displayed.

Thanks

Billy

Thank you Billy.

As the 90% Point of Sales in Germany DO NOT display a VISA sign (and in fact don't accept them) but do display Maestro signs and very happily accept them, i guess thats my answer. Thanks for that.

What alternatives does BOI offer me, do you have a Maestro based debit card still in your portfolio, considering that I have to retain the ability to make purchases in the Maestro system?
    Or do I actually have to switch our current accounts to another bank after over a decade with BOI due to the new "benefits" introduced by VISA debit?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 binaryrealm

Hi,

Interestingly I was also browsing boards.ie only recently to look for an answer to the OP's question. I am originally from Germany, travelling back home approximately once per month and I can confirm that Visa Credit cards are generally not accepted in most Shops.

Unless Visa Debit is handled differently in terms of authorisation and protocols, this would mean a big step backwards for me as I was so far able to pay for almost anything in Germany using my Laser card (Groceries, Electronics etc.)

In fact, the Wikipedia article on Maestro cards states the following:

"The chip on the card [Laser] is programmed with two applications, one for Laser and one for Maestro. POS transactions are normally processed over the Laser transaction network in Ireland and the Maestro network when the card is used abroad."

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maestro_(debit_card))

So, does the BOI Visa debit chip also carry the Maestro application, since the Maestro logo clearly isn't present?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

So, does the BOI Visa debit chip also carry the Maestro application, since the Maestro logo clearly isn't present?

There is no chance that a Mastercard-owned (Maestro) programme would be available on a Visa-logoed card.

Having used mine in machines which give the option of all functions on a card, there is only the Visa application.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 binaryrealm

Hi myob,

while I am almost 100% sure you are right, I'd like to have confirmation of this from BoI, as it is not completely impossible that they have gone down the route of installing both applications on the same card. In the absence of any official word on this matter I guess I'll see what happens the next time I use the card when I'm back home.

I wonder if there was a chance to hang on to the old Laser card with its Maestro functionality staying intact?

Are there any other alternatives?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 371 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Graham

Hi all,

Our Visa Debit Team are looking into this for you at the moment. We'll post back here when we have more information.

Thanks for your patience,
    Graham

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi Cloudhopper,

We have been in touch with Visa International in relation to your query. They have comeback to us with the following response:
    Visa enjoys unsurpassed acceptance around the world. In addition, Visa/PLUS is one of the world's largest global ATM networks, offering cash access in local currency in over 200 countries. The majority of German terminals accept Visa.

Hi binaryrealm,

MYOB is correct. The Visa Debit card will not have Maestro functionality. It also won't be possible to keep a Laser card as an alternative as we are currently in the process of phasing out Laser completely.

I hope this answers your queries.
    Thanks
    Pat

I hope this answers your queries.
    Thanks
    Pat

Hi Pat,

indeed it does.

One last question though, you know an irish bank that will continue to use Laser from the top of your head?

Thanks.

(Oh by the way the German ATMs usually accept VISA, but they charge you exorbitant fees to do so. Point of Sales, including my tailor, don't.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭rev2.0

Hi Pat,

indeed it does.

One last question though, you know an irish bank that will continue to use Laser from the top of your head

NIB are the only ones still using laser at present

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Laura

Hi Cloudhopper.
    One last question though, you know an irish bank that will continue to use Laser from the top of your head?

We can not comment on the facilities which other banks provide.

Thanks.
    Laura

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi all,

We've received a further query about the quote below and just wanted to point out that the charges mentioned in the quote below are not charges that are applied by Bank of Ireland.
    (Oh by the way the German ATMs usually accept VISA, but they charge you exorbitant fees to do so. Point of Sales, including my tailor, don't.)

The charges we apply you for using your Visa Debit card for cash withdrawals or at a point of sale in Euro within the EU and EEA are the same as they were for using the Cirrus/Maestro functionality of your Laser card. You can find more information in the Fees and Charges section of the Visa Debit Cards page of our website.

I hope this clears up any confusion.

Thanks
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 36 emerald-eagle

Hi Cloudhopper,

Thanks for your question.

The Visa Debit is not a credit card.
    Although Maestro isn't on the card, you should be able to use it abroad in the same way as your Laser Card as it offers point of sale abroad.

Thanks

Billy

Afraid not Billy. I have the same problem as Cloudhopper except that ine relates to the Netherlands. Over there, a significant number of organisations (including Dutch Rail) will only accept a foreign bank card if it is Maestro compatible. They will not accept foreign Visa/Mastercard Debit/Credit cards.

Which brings me to a question. Is any Irish bank intending to retain the Maestro facility and, if not, does anyone know how you would go about getting a Maestro-compatible card (including moving to another bank!)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

So we have gone from the crap Laser (FAILURE to work in many UK retailers) to a crap VISA debit (failure to work in Germany)

Good job BoI

• Registered Users Posts: 36 emerald-eagle

What could work well is if Visa Debit cards here were V-Pay compatible as most of Europe is in the process of going in that direction (see www.vpay.com)

Any response on that BOI and AIB??

Advertisement