Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cycle-dieting-in-the-off-season log

• 23-09-2012 12:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I plan to minus 750-1000 calories a day. 5 days a week, Monday-Thursday and Sunday. I intend to do this for the next 10 weeks. I weigh 78kg at the minute, which is a bit too much because I liked when I climbed well. There is a new bike coming too, and I don't really want to try buy an improvement. To be committed and hopefully achieve stuff in cycling through a various types of self-control and effort is what I need. So, getting back to my usual weight is the first step. Around the 71-2kg is best.

Right, early on Day 1:

Woke up early, I had to work late last night so early is 10.00am. I work in a rural pub, and for those lucky enough to live inside the pale, they don't have closing hours. So, I got off around 2.00, which is early enough if I'm honest. Nevertheless, I got my 8 hours. So I woke up, had my wheat-a-bix and low fat milk, and cleaned the house.

It's still early but I intend to hop onto the rollers and give an hour after I have a chicken breast with some salad. After which I'll try to read a book. I'm not great when dieting, I can be moody and have bad concentration and memory. But, hopefully I'll hang tough through a book. I'm reading Arrow in the Blue by Arthur Koestler, and it's a great little memoir. Full of amusing stories, like how his father invested in a room sized robotic letter-opener.

Anyways,
    More updates on the way,
    Caoimhín

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

End of Day 1.

I gave an hour and ten on the rollers, had a shower, some teas, relaxed, and went to work again at 21:00. I've picked up some green teas that I used to drink in college: some with jasmine, others with lemon, and others again with orange. Pretty yum.

I've been listening to Amandou and Miriam on the rollers, too. Welcome to Mali is worth an itunes purchase if you ask me. Give it a listen.

Not much to add. Feel positive still.

Nighty Night

Day Two:

Feel OK today. Bit tired and I've left the trainer late today. I tried to clean up my netbook today and failed desperately. But, anyways, I had work, was up early, and listened to a Danish band that made a record using sounds from the Arctic circle. Efterklang, have a listen: (http://thefourohfive.com/news/article/efterklang-piramida-full-album-stream).

Off to the trainer and then back to my book,

Caoimhín

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    Day Two:

Feel OK today. Bit tired and I've left the trainer late today. I tried to clean up my netbook today and failed desperately. But, anyways, I had work, was up early, and listened to a Danish band that made a record using sounds from the Arctic circle. Efterklang, have a listen: (http://thefourohfive.com/news/article/efterklang-piramida-full-album-stream).

Off to the trainer and then back to my book,

Caoimhín

Dunno if you need help to keep this up or not, but I found this very useful: The Hackers Diet: link

There's no magic, just simple science. And it's free.

Cheers for that, I'm pretty happy with my enthusiasm so far. I'll continue to thumb through it though.

Day 3:

Found it tough to sleep last night. My stomach felt empty and I didn't feel in any mood to nod off. I read for a while after the bike trainer, and pottered around the internet. Nothing really exciting to report. I expect my new bike frame, wheels, etc. to arrive this week. I really can't wait. Also, I re-installed Ubuntu 12.04. Fantastic OS.

I'm off to do calisthenics this evening. I'll be listening to Odelay.

My mood is pretty variable, but I'd still mark it as positive,

Gu'evening!

Day 4:

I was waiting tables today. My God that made me hungry: plates full of chips, burgers, beef, bacon, lasagna, cod. Goodness!

Finished with work for the day. I'm unsure what I should do for exercise. Doing cardio by yourself is pretty boring, as is the trainer. I'll have to figure something. It's been a really slow day ...

That's all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    Doing cardio by yourself is pretty boring, as is the trainer. I'll have to figure something.

I find kettlebells add a bit of variety alongside using the turbo, and are good for core and other muscle groups to help balance the workout. Also a very compact and reasonably inexpensive piece of kit.

Ya? Cheers for that. I'm definitely concentrating on core work today. I'll have to devise a plan later. I'll post up what I have. I dunno if kettle bells are suitable for where I live! :)

Day 5:

Made it! I didn't do any proper exercise today. I was on my feet for most of the day though. Tomorrow is my first day off. I can't wait. I've to plan ahead so I don't over indulge. Tonight will drag on for a fact.

See ya!

Day 6:

Great weekend off. I had a long spin and I nearly died of hypothermia swimming 3k in Lough Derg. I really need to plan better next time around. I didn't really have a balanced diet over the weekend. But otherwise, it was a delicious success. Hopefully the good mood can drag me on until Tuesday.

My bike hasn't arrived yet. Hopefully it will this week. I'm wondering what groupset I should get. Does anyone know how the SRAM Apex is? Should I just keep saving and get the SRAM Rival? Thoughts? Shimano/Campy Alternatives?

Talk Again.

Advertisement