Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where the Wild Things Are. Unexpectly great movie

• 23-09-2012 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

This was on RTE yesterday, have to say I was pleasantly surprised how much I liked it. I didnt know what to expect, since it wasnt really a kids movie, and I love the book years and years ago.

Great characters, excellent voice acting (James Gandolfini). Lush cinematography. Excellent the way some of the monsters turned really nasty really quickly.:eek:
    Judith threatening to eat the king
    KW whacking the two owls with rocks
    Carol freaking out and chasing Max half way trough the movie

etc..

Not a movie for kids, but a great movie non the less.

Some of the dialogue was excellent, very surreal and dream like
    "Where were ye, we were just here"
    "Oh please don't go - I'll eat you up - I love you so!"

Great soundtrack, need to check that out too.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,832 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

No reason for it to be unexpected - given the spectacular trailer and talent behind the camera it was little surprise it was a fascinating film :) What did surprise was just how strange and thoughtful the film actually is: certainly amongst the most unusual, challenging and dark family productions Hollywood has ever funded. It is indeed not really for kids, although they'll surely enjoy it on a different level. For adults its a bittersweet tale of childhood imagination and innocence that is equal parts joyful and unsettling.

Pretty much the antithesis of sugarrush, hyperactive family cinema, but alas not sure if it ever found the wider appreciative audience it deserved. Perhaps too weird and hard to define to ever really be anything other than a cult success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Great movie, a movie where the talent located behind the camera shines through, lovely to look at, some great lines in it . :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

A movie that works on so many levels! Even to this day, it's fascinating to see the sensitive themes that the original story touches on regarding human nature.

Like all classics, the messages that are taken from it are left to the reader/viewer's own level of interpretation - whether they be young or old!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

I hated it, thought it was woeful and a waste of the glorious material in the book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

My kids love the book but I'm not sure if they'd like the movie? My 5 year old starting watching it and seemed to be liking it (we hadn't even got to the monsters) but I'm not sure if it'd be too scary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭oxygen

My kids love the book but I'm not sure if they'd like the movie? My 5 year old starting watching it and seemed to be liking it (we hadn't even got to the monsters) but I'm not sure if it'd be too scary.

My 5 year old niece doesn't really like scary movies either. I don't think she would like this, some parts like the dirt clot fight or Carol chasing Max etc would be a little bit disturbing for kids. From the very start when Carol is detroyng houses and the undercurrent scary soundtrack make it a little unsuitable for kids, IMO

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Fantastic film. I loved how rather than make a kids film out of a classic kids book they decided to make a film for adults who had loved the book as kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

I loved the film! A lot of my friends really didn't enjoy it, but it gives me such a cozy warm feeling! It has that charming wit in places
    don't mind the dog
    , but also some very touching moments too
    Max with his mom at the end
    . Its like many modern films that are for kids, but probably more enjoyed by adults.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,434 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Cracking soundtrack too btw, hasn't left my ipod since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Cracking soundtrack too btw, hasn't left my ipod since.

Karen O isnt it? Love the soundtrack too although i havent actually seen the film. Worry shoes is a brilliant song.

is the film on any of the Netflix sites does anyone know?

• Advertisement
Advertisement