Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCTV Software

Options
  • 23-09-2012 1:06pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi All,

I'm completely new to the whole CCTV thing, I've just bought 2 wireless IP cameras from Amazon, primarily to use as a baby monitor for our pending arrival. I've set them up and gotten them to work on my phone and everything, struggling to get the ddyns to work properly but that's more to do with my router than anything else.

I have a spare desktop computer with a decent graphics card and a 2TB drive running Windows 7, I want to use it to record the cameras but I can't find a decent software solution for it, can anyone advice?

Sorry if this has been asked over and over before

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hi Clareman,
    There is lots of software to do this. Starting from free upto hundreds of Euros.
    My advice is try the free stuff first & see what suits.
    here is one option
    http://www.myipcam.co.uk/ipcam-software.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

What make of cameras

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Great link KoolKid, thanks for that, that's my day sorted tomorrow :)

I got 2 of these

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Ahh yes, you can have good fun with them ...;)
    Any hassles give me a shout.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Nice one, you might live to regret that :)

I'm liking the look of the recording to a NAS, that'll use less power than the PC I'll be running and a lot quieter as well

• Advertisement

I've spent a few hours at this today and I think I have everything the way I want it. To give you an idea of my setup, what I've done is asssigned 2 static IPs to the cameras and setup seperate port forwarding for them from DDNS so I can view them externally (this is important for Mrs. Clareman in case we ever leave the child with a babysitter). I tried using the software linked above until I discovered that the cameras come with their own software (IP Super Camera) that seems to do everything I want to do.

I'm very happy with the setup now, 2 cameras are recording onto a NAS, I don't think I need to record though as it's primarily being used as a baby monitor, but I decide on that later, I can also view them on my iphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Simply_Jay

sorry for interfering, what cams are these? do they perform good?

I think they are just a generic brand but Foscam software works with them, very easy to setup. I've 2 of them setup now to work both internally and externally on both my and the wife's phone, they work with Edge coverage although not the best and takes forever to move them. I'd normally say I'd recommend them but I've never used other cameras so I've nothing to compare them to

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Simply_Jay

Ok, great thanks. Was looking at foscam but I have other circumstances so that would be of no help anyway. Still good to know.

Advertisement