Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cool Vids&Pics&Links Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

Wilberto wrote: »
    I can't believe it's not butter!
    Coz it's not. Butter doesn't come in paint tins. Check out the lids in the cab and on the road. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Thanatosgratus

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3105783/Lorry-crash-causes-massive-explosion-leaves-Russian-truck-driver-covered-layer-yellow-paint.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3105783/Lorry-crash-causes-massive-explosion-leaves-Russian-truck-driver-covered-layer-yellow-paint.html

Hate those vague links.. Never know what you're clicking into

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Kat1170

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Those NI Murals as memes are fantastic!! :D
    Hope more appear in YLYL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Those NI Murals as memes are fantastic!! :D
    Hope more appear in YLYL

The Poland balls, however, are utter muck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Omackeral wrote: »

Correct

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Omackeral wrote: »
    De Bhál wrote: »
    Correct

*sniff*:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

Can anyone explain what the story is with the clay in the Poland balls?

Lucena wrote: »
    Can anyone explain what the story is with the clay in the Poland balls?

Land, World War.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Is this a mispost or am I missing something?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99033503&postcount=1158

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Synode wrote: »

I'm assuming it's something to do with the repetition of now did one in the last sentence, not often an error that bad gets past the publisher?? Pure guess on my part though...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I think it was probably put there on purpose, a bit like Mrs Doyle's 'Ah go on'.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Is it only me or does it look like there is a small dog wearing a cap sitting on top of this compressor?

It's more like a K-nine... but yes. :)

New Home wrote: »
    It's more like a K-nine... but yes. :)
    I was thinking exactly the same when I saw it.
    tumblr_m5xrmwQTNj1rsmz6fo1_500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭De Bhál

The girl taking a selfie - girl going out vs girl staying in
    What am I missing?

What am I missing?

Appearances can be deceiving, all that glitter is not all gold, there are two sides to every story, etc. If you see a gorgeous-looking photo, it doesn't mean that that's how that person always looks.

It also mean that you shouldn't dismiss 'Ugly Ducklings' on the basis of how they look, 'cause given time and inclination they could scrub up very well too.

At least, that's how I read it. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Appearances can be deceiving, all that glitter is not all gold, there are two sides to every story, etc. If you see a gorgeous-looking photo, it doesn't mean that that's how that person always looks.

It also mean that you shouldn't dismiss 'Ugly Ducklings' on the basis of how they look, 'cause give time and inclination they could scrub up very well too.

At least, that's how I read it. :)

That's a lot more philosophical than how I saw it! I just saw how little effort a girl will put in when she doesn't have to go out.

That's a lot more philosophical than how I saw it! I just saw how little effort a girl will put in when she doesn't have to go out.

Well.... that too... :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Map of the internet , by number of registered domain names.

Large version
    http://www.nominet.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Map-Of-The-Online-World.jpg[/QUOTE]

Of note in that map are the sizes of Federated States of Micronesia and Tuvalu. Micronesia is a country that covers an area of ocean the size of Kazakhstan, but has a total land area and a population that are both smaller than Co. Louth's.

Tuvalu is even smaller; approx the same land area as Valentia Island in Kerry, with a pop similar to the town of Ballina.

Both of these countries are so small they're invisible on normal world maps. So why have they so many internet domains registered (Tuvalu has nearly as many as Mexico)?

Because of their popularity with radio and television stations, respectively.
    Micronesia is .fm, and Tuvalu is .tv.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

What am I missing?

I want to say a penis but I'm afraid somebody who doesn't know about the ongoing joke here will report me ðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Mr E wrote: »
    IMTpu0a.jpg
    380336.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

POS

I was under the impression that for these things to work they'd have to be connected to a landline. Am I mistaken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I was under the impression that for these things to work they'd have to be connected to a landline. Am I mistaken?

Nope .. wireless. Ever paid for food in a restaurant/bar or asked for cash back - they usually bring the device to you, no? Mobile unit probably connected to the chancers wifi/4g to work.

GBX wrote: »
    Nope .. wireless. Ever paid for food in a restaurant/bar or asked for cash back - they usually bring the device to you, no? Mobile unit probably connected to the chancers wifi/4g to work.

Thanks GBX, you're absolutely right, I'd forgotten about that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

I think it might be just a phone that the guy has. Scaremongering on FB is the 'funny' bit I think :confused:

eamonnq wrote: »
    I think it might be just a phone that the guy has. Scaremongering on FB is the 'funny' bit I think :confused:

I dont think its a phone ?

pl3411010-handheld_pos_terminal_with_ic_card_reader_and_printer.jpg

On the scaremongering - perhaps somewhat - but its not inconceivable that you could be scammed out of a few quid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Aye .. for a while I was like "Gimme contactless as everyone else has it and I don't want to miss out no something"
    Now Im happy without it!

Except that some banks replace your cards by default...

Yeah .. so far Ulsterbank dont bother. AFAIK they said they wont be introducing it in the Republic for the time being, so I'm happy with that.

Ehm, BoI already has...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The portable NFC card reader thing is total scaremongering. Even if someone can get their hands on a terminal and have it interconnected through a provider who is willing to authorise the payments, they'd be shut down at the first hint of trouble and every charge would be refunded.

NFC readings isn't like taking cash out of your wallet, there's an entire chain of trust required between the terminal and your bank. If a link in that chain is broken, it will be removed, and the cash refunded.

Apparently the photo came from someone on an underground train in Russia. The guy was just standing there with it in his hand, not actually doing anything. Most likely he was just moving it from one place to another, not using it for anything dodgy.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Also worth noting that at least some terminals require a chip and pin transaction every fourth one.

• Advertisement

As far as I know all wireless devices are connected to a main terminal that's connected back to the clearing company over a wired line. Without the wired point, the devices are useless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Those things can store card info and batch it off later on. The place I worked in use to bach all cards of that day at 2am.

god's toy wrote: »
    Those things can store card info and batch it off later on. The place I worked in use to bach all cards of that day at 2am.

Can they accept the payments when out of range of the main terminal though? As in, not connected over WiFi or bluetooth

At least this thread isn't going off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Bog standard POS terminals with GSM diallers be got for a few hundred from China, so a contactless one is possible.

Aye .. for a while I was like "Gimme contactless as everyone else has it and I don't want to miss out no something"
    Now Im happy without it!
    Yeah .. so far Ulsterbank dont bother. AFAIK they said they wont be introducing it in the Republic for the time being, so I'm happy with that.
    Ehm, BoI already has...
    seamus wrote: »
    The portable NFC card reader thing is total scaremongering. Even if someone can get their hands on a terminal and have it interconnected through a provider who is willing to authorise the payments, they'd be shut down at the first hint of trouble and every charge would be refunded.

NFC readings isn't like taking cash out of your wallet, there's an entire chain of trust required between the terminal and your bank. If a link in that chain is broken, it will be removed, and the cash refunded.

Apparently the photo came from someone on an underground train in Russia. The guy was just standing there with it in his hand, not actually doing anything. Most likely he was just moving it from one place to another, not using it for anything dodgy.
    Also worth noting that at least some terminals require a chip and pin transaction every fourth one.
    As far as I know all wireless devices are connected to a main terminal that's connected back to the clearing company over a wired line. Without the wired point, the devices are useless
    god's toy wrote: »
    Can they accept the payments when out of range of the main terminal though? As in, not connected over WiFi or bluetooth
    Allyall wrote: »
    glynf wrote: »
    Bog standard POS terminals with GSM diallers be got for a few hundred from China, so a contactless one is possible.

Is there not another forum for this stuff?

Seriously?? Its related to a post in YLYL - and being discussed in the "Cool Vids&Pics&Links Discussion Thread" as laid out in the charter as there's no chat in the YLYL thread. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

It puzzles me when people get so angry on the discussions within a thread if it veers off a little (especially when it's in direct relation to the thread point anyway).

Chill - we'll go back to discussing why a picture is funny again soon (it'll probably be because of a penis).

Was the original picture in YLYL :pac:

Was the original picture in YLYL :pac:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=99067798#post99067798

I'd hazard a guess on possibly more than that occasion too but hey ho :pac: :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

But you can then request a contactless card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Shannon757 wrote: »
    Is there not another forum for this stuff?

It's a discussion thread..

You're talking about what people are talking about and encouraged me to talk about you talking about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

No, (the ones we used) ,I don't think they can, however it could be linked via wifi by way of hotspot from his phone.

just saying.

Don't think the photo is real, in so far as I think its staged for viral reasons or to make a point.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement