Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cool Vids&Pics&Links Discussion Thread

Comments

Evade wrote: »
    It's the right orientation.

Only if you look from the back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Only if you look from the back

No, there is a specific reason as to why the flag is portrayed that way on the building. I was there a good few years ago and asked, just cannot remember the WHY.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

No, there is a specific reason as to why the flag is portrayed that way on the building. I was there a good few years ago and asked, just cannot remember the WHY.

Stars are always on the left afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The flag should be displayed flat, whether indoors or out. When displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall, the union should be uppermost and to the flag’s own right, that is, to the observer’s left.

http://www.usa-flag-site.org/etiquette-display/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Stars are always on the left afaik

Yes, but specifically in relation to why the Stripes are running vertical and not horizontal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

Yes, but specifically in relation to why the Stripes are running vertical and not horizontal.
    It's to simulate the flag being draped on a wall as opposed to flying from a pole. It's not that uncommon.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

You see that all the time with flags hanging from buildings or in the Olympics when flags are raised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

I suppose NASA might have another reason along the same lines as the flag on US soldiers' right arm being backwards. It's supposed to simulate the flag billowing as the soldier is charging forward and if you apply the same logic to a rocket it would look draped from our perspective because a rocket "charges" up, not forward.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

No no no no. It's backwards so that the ambulances can see it from the space.

(Yes, I know, it's been said before)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

silverharp wrote: »
    Pic.jpg

FYP. ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

New Home wrote: »
    xkyxlsux6z.jpg
    t3_3b75x8?url=http%3A%2F%2Fi.imgur.com%2Fy6AxmFp.jpg&token=AQAAKselWc8z1kjy0G_jjqj6p1L2eUPzwiQHMG3kvKgULGKL7pYN&app_name=mweb2x

Well, car pooling does take on a whole new meaning, here. It's also a great way to address the lack of parking places.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It's also a great way to address the lack of parking places.

Dirk+jan+compilation+ctrl+to+zoom_6fe2d4_5509693.jpg

Brilliant! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Dirk+jan+compilation+ctrl+to+zoom_6fe2d4_5509693.jpg

Ah... Dirk-Jan.

There are some gems

One of my favourites:

6f07c7e6440f0ecfbbe2518004d388ef.png

1: Our school really should have a name.
    2; Why dont we let the children choose one? Good idea!
    3: "**** school"

Gentlemen, please pee sitting down:

29aa5dc2bd8510ff48b4b432d8ca598a.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

mezzz wrote: »
    money-banking-bank_robbery-bank_robber-bank-clerk-counter-jnan787_low.jpg

Anyone????:confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

dulpit wrote: »

I think (THINK!) it's to do with a bank robber waiting in line - the watermark looks like it's obscuring a gun.

Still not particularly funny - but the watermark completely kills it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Kat1170

dulpit wrote: »

I'd say copied from somewhere and the tag-line left behind :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Evade wrote: »
    Where's the penis?

In the Whitehouse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

21150437_10155107327789164_7718119695813183691_n.jpg?oh=015b5224acba9790b6cb683c3895b25a&oe=5A21A9B8

i dont get it? :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

milkshakes pic

i dont get it? :(

Their milkshakes bring all the b(u)oys to the yard...

and they're like, they're better than yours

🤪

ericl wrote: »
    1zpr4sx.jpg

Always think that whoever came up with this satirical piece (which is otherwise quite funny) should have done a little bit of stronger research before picking a rally driver name to use.......... :(

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/rally-ace-dies-as-wife-and-son-remain-critically-ill-26100124.html

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

No.

Fake person has the same name as someone real? It happens.

Alternative is to call him Zebrsdhfs Vjtdhhjgg

cdeb wrote: »
    No.

If I was creating a fake rally driver to quote I'd do a cursory check to make sure I wasn't attributing it to a real rally driver.

And especially not to a real rally driver who had died in tragic and high-profile circumstances in the not so distant past.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ah here. A satirical piece on rally driving should avoid using a surname that sounds like the surname of a guy that died in circumstances that had nothing to do with rally driving, eleven years before the article was written, and in a different country?

You're taking the piss, right? How many people who read that satirical piece had even heard of Bertie Fisher, never mind thought of him when reading it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

blackwhite wrote: »
    If I was creating a fake rally driver to quote I'd do a cursory check to make sure I wasn't attributing it to a real rally driver.

And especially not to a real rally driver who had died in tragic and high-profile circumstances in the not so distant past.

I agree 100%.
    seamus wrote: »
    Ah here. A satirical piece on rally driving should avoid using a surname that sounds like the surname of a guy that died in circumstances that had nothing to do with rally driving, eleven years before the article was written, and in a different country?

You're taking the piss, right? How many people who read that satirical piece had even heard of Bertie Fisher, never mind thought of him when reading it?

It was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the post.
    If I was writing a satire about a drug fuelled Olympic winning horse, I'd probably not call the rider Con O'Connor.
    Although...
    No.

I know someone with this name too:o funnily enough.
    One can't go wrong with the name Jo/Joe King when being satirical, surely?

seamus wrote: »

Not talking about Bertie. His son Mark Fisher was also a well-known rally driver, and was killed in the same incident

Honestly, it still sounds like you're actively looking to get offended by the article.

I googled "Mark Fischer rally driver" and found nothing about the other guy. Obviously can't be expected to go checking every possible spelling variant too.

An unfortunate coincidence is all. It happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Re: this one, I like that they blurred out the car brand's logo on the steering wheel, thus protecting the poor vehicle from further embarrassment.

Honestly, it still sounds like you're actively looking to get offended by the article.

I googled "Mark Fischer rally driver" and found nothing about the other guy. Obviously can't be expected to go checking every possible spelling variant too.

An unfortunate coincidence is all. It happens.

You clearly didn't look too hard when you googled it - the third result is an article about his death (the first two are a reddit thread about the satire article, and the satire article itself) - or else you aren't being honest.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mark+fischer+rally+driver&oq=mark+fischer+rally+driver&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3.4503j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I know the family - so maybe that's why I recognised the name initially.

If you think that finding it a bit distasteful to see satire that at first glance looks to be referencing a deceased family friend is "actively looking for offence" then that's more a reflection on your need to throw in a personal dig than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Worztron wrote: »
    426597.jpg

Not cool Worztron. And shame on those thanking the post :D

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

^^ at least it's not about veganism.

blackwhite wrote: »
    You clearly didn't look too hard when you googled it - the third result is an article about his death (the first two are a reddit thread about the satire article, and the satire article itself) - or else you aren't being honest.
    Or else google searches are influenced by your past history?

It didn't turn up (on page 1 anyway) until I changed the spelling.

Still an unfortunate coincidence for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

C0No72sW8AA3q4B.jpg

What terrorists attacks happened in the midlands of ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Clareman wrote: »
    My milkshake gets the bouys (boys) to the yard.

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Their milkshakes bring all the b(u)oys to the yard...

But they are not Buoys, they are Floats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

https://i.imgur.com/Vg7wfUL.png

"When you realize its September and you posted a day too late!"

god's toy wrote: »
    But they are not Buoys, they are Floats.

Sheldon Cooper, is it really you? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104556301&postcount=3739

What am I missing on this one? Can't see any penis etc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

An icecream truck made out of a tractor instead of a van.

If it's more than that then I'm not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

GBX wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104556301&postcount=3739

What am I missing on this one? Can't see any penis etc

The funny is Waterford people getting their hopes up for a win before they get the mother and fathers of a hiding on Sunday. All is not lost thought. They can stop in Kilkenny on the way back to have a look at what a winners medal looks like. They've so many they give them away free with a kids meal in McDonalds

Quazzie wrote: »

Whatever about SF cries of robberies gone wrong in some of the other IRA "incidents" south of the border, terrorism is the only description that can be honestly applied to attacks such as Portarlington

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Clerkin

Sheldon Cooper, is it really you? :pac:

Yes sir, in fact I've worked on 100's of them as part of my day job. (Buoys I mean) :D

You should do a new YouTube programme and call it "Fun with Floatation Devices". :D

You should do a new YouTube programme and call it "Fun with Floatation Devices". :D

Ha ha! I was just thinking that! but would call it "Big Buoy Fun"

ok here goes...

Fun fact no.1 When the maritime peoples first starting using Buoys, they were mostly used to mark dangerous rocks or shipwrecks, the 'Top Mark' (the two black triangle parts on the top of the Buoy) started out as just two round balls, the reason? Well as most crew back then where illiterate so the caption would tell his crew if they see them balls it means 'You wanna to have balls of steal to come close to me' so to keep the ships safe.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

ok here goes...

Fun fact no.1 When the maritime peoples first starting using Buoys, they were mostly used to mark dangerous rocks or shipwrecks, the 'Top Mark' (the two black triangle parts on the top of the Buoy) started out as just two round balls, the reason? Well as most crew back then where illiterate so the caption would tell his crew if they see them balls it means 'You wanna to have balls of steal to come close to me' so to keep the ships safe.

:pac: :pac:

(Sorry!) :):)

• Advertisement

Wilberto wrote: »

ok here goes...

:pac: :pac:

(Sorry!) :):)

Would be up there with 'Fun with Flags' me thinks!

Or the "I bet you didn't know that" thread in AH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Quazzie wrote: »

The Westmeath Liberation Front?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Mod note: Moved from YLYL (No chat or quoting pics in there).

Here's your choice, Houston, start eating vegan or starve to death.

DIsQLzKVYAAlPHu.jpg

Jaysus, those Texans are tough!

The Westmeath Liberation Front?

The People's Front of Athlone?

Not the Athlone People's Front though...

...or the Popular Front...(splitters!)

:pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement