Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cool Vids&Pics&Links Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

1507214.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Moses7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

ImVehF1.jpg

WTF is this about :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Wibbs wrote: »
    Nothing deep or even vaguely helpful, but just to say I love viewing this forum. Always gives me a :) and usually a :D and often a :pac:. Thanks to all the folks hereabouts. :)

You're f'n welcome, wibbs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Johnsons no more tears was made to be as pure as water to be gentle on babies eyes.

feck ye're l'oreal

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

keith16 wrote: »
    WTF is this about :confused:

It's a game called plague or pandemic (it goes by a few names, it's called plague on android though). You have to create a bacteria or virus and use it to infect and kill everyone on the planet. The disease you create is passed from country to country via land, ports or airports. Once your disease starts taking off, if it gets noticed countries may start closing their borders to protect themselves. That country is Madagascar and they are renowned for shutting their borders very easily.

It's a game called plague or pandemic (it goes by a few names, it's called plague on android though). You have to create a bacteria or virus and use it to infect and kill everyone on the planet. The disease you create is passed from country to country via land, ports or airports. Once your disease starts taking off, if it gets noticed countries may start closing their borders to protect themselves. That country is Madagascar and they are renowned for shutting their borders very easily.

Madagascar was always a bitch to try and infect.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Madagascar was always a bitch to try and infect.

So true. If I ever meet someone from there I'll probably punch them in the face. I'm sure they'll understand, they probably get it all the time.

So true. If I ever meet someone from there I'll probably punch them in the face. I'm sure they'll understand, they probably get it all the time.

:eek::eek::eek:

King_Julien.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭mongoman

Since it's now past 16.00pm, is there even going to be a photoshop comp this week? Once it used to always kick off around the 13.00pm mark, didn't know how spoiled we were at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,298 ✭✭✭✭Penn

There is. I'm just limited to the phone right now so it'll be this evening, likely before 9.

It's Paddys Day in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

How dare you have a life penn!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

does anyone think this guy on the left holding the mic

http://s2.jrnl.ie/media/2013/03/vatican-pope-96-630x408.jpg

looks like theo paphitis??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Don't know if this has been brought up before. Haven't looked through the thread, but vast majority of reposts aren't actually reposts. I think someone might have brought it up before that people see it on reddit and assume it's a repost. I don't look at reddit or any other site to be honest and the vast majority of alleged reposts I've never seen and I follow this thread pretty closely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Don't know if this has been brought up before. Haven't looked through the thread, but vast majority of reposts aren't actually reposts. I think someone might have brought it up before that people see it on reddit and assume it's a repost. I don't look at reddit or any other site to be honest and the vast majority of alleged reposts I've never seen and I follow this thread pretty closely.

We only edit posts that we are certain are reposts.
    All reported posts are checked and notes are left for the other moderators to have a look also.

Reported posts are looked at by at least three mods.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Squeaky the Squirrel

DD9090 wrote: »
    We only edit posts that we are certain are reposts.
    All reported posts are checked and notes are left for the other moderators to have a look also.

Reported posts are looked at by at least three mods.
    Nope.

Since it was last mentioned on here that some of the posts changed to links weren't reposts I've been opening all of them and some of them are DEFINITELY not reposts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Agree, I follow YLYL pretty religiously and I think lately there's been a whole bunch of mistaken reposts. I normally report the post again if I think something has been marked as a repost erroneously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

If 3 mods review each reported repost then it must be pretty hard to make mistakes. I understand that the alternative is to just allow reposts which is obviously stupid but I have to reiterate, there are a whole bunch, majority I'd guess that are 100% not reposts. so much so that when I click on the link, I'm usually surprised if it is in fact a repost. It seemed to me that one particular mod was editing all the incorrect reposts but like you say, if it goes by 3 different mods then any blame can't just lie with him/her.

Their was a post edited that had a note
    Repost??

Not 100% if it was a repost now, don't think it was (may check)

But that shows theirs something wrong.

And can't say I'm wrong bout posts not being reposts as I look at every post in this Thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

This whole repost issue is the main reason I am personally loath to post in YLYL. I posted a picture two weeks ago and later learned it was edited as a very old repost. Now prior to posting it, I had literally checked back through months of previous posts and I reached a point where I felt it had to be an original image. Turns out of course I was wrong. So how can you win?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Are re-posts that bad though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Honestly, I don't get what the big deal here is. There's four YLYL threads, each one has been brilliant and every now and again there will be reposts. They aren't deleted; the links are left there for us to click them if we wish. So, even if the mods are making a mistake a false positive is far less annoying than the alternative of browsing through a sequence of reposts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

If its being edited as a repost provide a link to the original. That way the original gets the credit and the reposter knows the mod was right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If its being edited as a repost provide a link to the original. That way the original gets the credit and the reposter knows the mod was right.

You expect the mods to trawl through literally thousands of posts looking for the original everyon every time they think th they spot a repost?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

some of the reposts could be from older threads. i've often recognised ones that i've seen on the other threads that i know.

as this repost says:

36350706.jpg

Quazzie wrote: »
    You expect the mods to trawl through literally thousands of posts looking for the original everyon every time they think th they spot a repost?

They already say they only edit a post when they're sure they have a repost... I assume they already have found the original.

They already say they only edit a post when they're sure they have a repost... I assume they already have found the original.

I would know when some pictures are reposts and report them as so. If you asked me where or when it was originally posted I wouldn't be able to tell you.

YLYL recieves a serious amount of traffic and a lot of posts. There's probably a high amount of reported posts. Asking mods to not only edit posts but provide a link to the original post is ridiculous.

LizT wrote: »
    I would know when some pictures are reposts and report them as so. If you asked me where or when it was originally posted I wouldn't be able to tell you.

YLYL recieves a serious amount of traffic and a lot of posts. There's probably a high amount of reported posts. Asking mods to not only edit posts but provide a link to the original post is ridiculous.

Fair enough. I assumed if 3 moods had to check it that they would also have the previous post to hand already.
    You could ask the site owners about adding a reverse image search to the search function to save the hassle.

Just to clarify something, when DD9090 said reported posts are looked at by at least three mods, it could be a case that the first mod edits it as a repost and the next two mods think that the first mod had seen it before even if they themselves didn't. Or the first mod doesn't edit it, the second one does, the third thinks the first or second saw it before etc. With the amount of reported posts we get, we can't discuss each one between us before deciding whether to edit it or not.

The mods are discussing this issue again between us and will hopefully have a resolution soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I see a fair few reposts that are left there, and posts that are not reposts that are edited and marked as reposts.
    But it's not really that big a deal is it?
    I don't think it is anyway.
    The only reposts I ever find annoying are the ones that are constantly reposted, or else the ones that are on the same or previous page.

• Advertisement

The only issue I can see is people who are thanks whores. If they post image, and it's at bottom of page and gets missed, then the repost appears later on with loads of thanks, the original poster might get peeved. Or you know, might not care.

Moar pics please is all I have to say...

Dare I say it....Less of the smart arse comments when pics are edited would be nice aswell. One person in particular is getting to fond of it.

Dare I say it....Less of the smart arse comments when pics are edited would be nice aswell. One person in particular is getting to fond of it.

They make me laugh :p

In order to remove the banality of having reposts simply changed to a link with just "Repost" written in it, we sometimes try to write something funny to keep the thread funny. It's not intended to be in any way a "smart arse comment".

If a mod edits one of your posts with a funny comment, you're free to either PM the mod and ask them to remove it, or edit it out yourself (provided you don't edit the picture back in again).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I used to do a lot more CVPL modding than I do now.

It gets some serious amount of reported posts from the mega threads...
    Loads of reported posts. And none of them are the kind of reported post that makes you have to think most of the time.

And those that do get reported often get reported numerous times.

So just going through all of that sucks. It's not in any way cerebral, it doesn't necessarily engage the brain but it needs to be done. Snip this repost, snip that repost.

Sometimes the janitorial effort can be improved just by trying to put in a little joke in the reason for editing. It's not intended to piss people off.

It's just a little opportunity to inject some humanity in a task that should probably be done by a script.

Penn wrote: »
    In order to remove the banality of having reposts simply changed to a link with just "Repost" written in it, we sometimes try to write something funny to keep the thread funny. It's not intended to be in any way a "smart arse comment".

Sometimes the janitorial effort can be improved just by trying to put in a little joke in the reason for editing. It's not intended to piss people off.

It's just a little opportunity to inject some humanity in a task that should probably be done by a script.
    This would be cool.

But,

Theirs been a good few over the last few months that I take as a dig (I'm far from a sensitive soul) at poster for giving mod the hassle of editing post.

If it was ever funny, long since stopped.

This would be cool.

But,

Theirs been a good few over the last few months that I take as a dig (I'm far from a sensitive soul) at poster for giving mod the hassle of editing post.

If it was ever funny, long since stopped.

Feel free to PM me any examples and I'll take a look at them for you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

What is the Dolan thread all about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    What is the Dolan thread all about?
    Dolan is a Donald Duck parody that appears to have been created by a sociopathic 8 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Yeah I got that. I just had a look through the first 5 pages of the thread and am a bit lost tbh

I don't think there's any greater explanation. It's just exactly what it seems like.

I generally hate them but once you stop thinking too hard about them, some of them can be pretty funny.

Dolan is teh man... :pac:

Also, if you're looking for more information: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/dolan

Right so it's nothing I am missing then :pac:

Most of the Dolan ones are terrible, but every now and then they do get some brilliant ones. They're a very dark sense of humour.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83749113&postcount=6356
    stock> wrote: »
    On the motorway this morning.

Anyone???? Is it the JCB?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

dulpit wrote: »

They are not allowed on motorways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

Probably what the op meant, but how that's meant to be funny who knows.
    Any other posts by Stock> in ylyl are generally piss poor, so I wouldn't waste too much time trying to decipher it.

I was just about to ask the same question!

And hilarity ensued... :confused:

In certain situations they are allowed (on tenure for county council etc)
    But still, bit odd to see, I suppose.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement