Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cool Vids&Pics&Links Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

The Beethoven one?

Beethoven was deaf.

Someone heckled. Beethoven played on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'm assuming this is Photoshopped?
    All the edges around the plane look Photoshop fuzzy.

And those wings aren't generating any lift which at that altitude will be catastrophic.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pviuk_WuwmM&t=1m25s
    5681_76d3_960.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

josip wrote: »
    I'm assuming this is Photoshopped?
    All the edges around the plane look Photoshop fuzzy.

And those wings aren't generating any lift which at that altitude will be catastrophic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pviuk_WuwmM&t=1m25s

the fuzziness could be just heat shimmer

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Could it be just a model plane? Also, being close enough to be able to take that photo probably wouldn't be too healthy...

ganmo wrote: »

Could be, but the parts I'm looking at wouldn't have any heat shimmer

ovnCxi1.png
    New Home wrote: »
    Could it be just a model plane? Also, being close enough to be able to take that photo probably wouldn't be too healthy...

I'm assuming a decent zoom and there are parts of Snowdonia where you can get similar shots, eg CAD WEST.
    But would a model plane generate heat shimmer ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

ganmo wrote: »

Yeah the fuzziness seems to be fairly consistent with where the exhaust gases from the engine would go.

wexie wrote: »
    Yeah the fuzziness seems to be fairly consistent with where the exhaust gases from the engine would go.

I'm not referring to the big fuzziness, but the constant slight fuzziness around hard edges. I've posted an example a couple of posts up.
    Here are some genuine looking photos of an A400 in the Mach loop.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/134160864@N05/34292190572
    https://twitter.com/themachloop/status/1009122532505645058

The A400 can do a ridiculous 120 degree bank btw, it's just that 90 degrees at low level would be suicidal.
    https://www.aviationguy.com/2013/06/24/a400m-extremely-high-bank-angle-turn/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Suckit wrote: »
    Seems to come from here -

Thanks, looks like I was 100% wrong going by the amount of pics that guy has on his Twitter page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

Totally legitimate image... the Mach Loop is a low level RAF training circuit in Wales. Here is the same aircraft on the same loop with high hard banks at 45 seconds and 1:10. They arent as close to the ground as you think due to the angle that image was taken, and the telephoto lens. You can see this in the video. Close to the mountains yes, but thats the buzz....

The photoshopped look comes from heat shimmer and air disturbance - remember this is a big aircraft punching a hole in the air as it ploughs through it... the heat shimmer and air disturbance makes it look photoshopped. You experience this also when trying to take zoomed images on a stary night with heat rising from the ground, and or a windy night.

Muppet Man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Recommend on loop at the same time

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

htBvKAn.jpg

I'd say the dentist, or A&E.

weird-things-structural-inspections-5be2a0a57dbcf__700.jpg
    You'd certainly wake up with a spring in your step there! :D

Anti-seismic building regulations complied with. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Kat1170

^^
    I actually think that belongs in the Cool Pictures Thread :)

...or the WTF thread...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Ah, but that's built very well and it's solid, whereas the original picture looks a lot more rickety and unstable, and the tyres aren't used to form the walls but the foundations. Incidentally, those tyre-walled houses are very well insulated. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

At least they built steps up, looks like the guy next door just built a slide to death

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Anti-seismic building regulations complied with. :cool:

Homemade versions of these :pac:

https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fichier:Pole_3_building_seismic_base_isolator.jpg

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »

Pretty much, yep. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

biko wrote: »
    aB0r7O2_460swp.webp

I thought Farage was English?

Suckit wrote: »
    Vbjdja4.jpg?1

http://www.hoaxsearch.com/pre-cracked-eggs/
    Pre-Cracked eggs? Users asked us if that’s real.

There’s a new photograph going viral: An egg without its shell is being sold in plastic packaging. The advertisement claims these “pre-cracked eggs” “save time”.

Who comes up with something like that? The food industry? Extremely lazy marketers? No, satirists.
    Fact check

Is it real? The photo, yes, but the product, no. This pre-cracked egg is not for sale anywhere.

It’s satire, a joke. Just look at the logo on the bottom right.

Obvious plant is a satire project by Jeff Wysaski who regularly creates mock products, posters or articles. Another obvious sign for a joke are the spelling “fimally” or the obvious way too long neck of the boy on the bottom right.

On his website Wysaski’s displaying all the sites he’s creations have been featured on. If you see the name “obvious plant”, don’t take it too seriously.
    Conclusion

It’s not real, these eggs are neither being produced nor sold. It’s satire by Jeff Wysaski under the name “obvious plant”.

Pre-peeled whole oranges in plastic tubs, though, do exist.

Pre-peeled whole oranges in plastic tubs, though, do exist.
    I've seen those, if ever there was a prime example of people being morons :(

That's why I didn't think the egg was too much of a stretch.

That's why I didn't think the egg was too much of a stretch.

Nope, as a matter of fact I'm pretty sure there are people out there that would happily buy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Pretty sure you can buy eggs in cartons in the US. Probably whites or yolks, rather than both.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure you can buy eggs in cartons in the US. Probably whites or yolks, rather than both.

Yes, those are usually in litre cartons and like you said the yolks are separated from the albumen, but those are pasteurised and are used in the catering industry, too.

Didn't know that, but now I do. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

You can get liquid whole eggs too:

81gIejREqIL._SY445_.jpg

I saw the Two Chicks brand in SuperQuinn back when it was SuperQuinn. Not sure if it's still stocked there.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭elvis83

Perching birds... Americas? I'm lost...

Apart from the fact that at least two of the colours are missing from the list, I'm lost, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well you can get preboiled eggs in Spain - like WTF, saving 4 minutes of someone lives. I could totally believe in precracked eggs, like preboiled rice and...

• Advertisement

elvis83 wrote: »
    Perching birds... Americas? I'm lost...
    Ask your geography teacher. ;)

*hint Latin America looks different.

Oh. That small detail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Can't get that Toto song out of my head.

Now I've looked at that map again, neither can I... :o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Jaysus, even with the hint, that took far longer than it should have! Was looking at Central America. Then at South America. Then I was trying to find penises in the shapes of the colours. Eventually!

PS: I originally thought the joke was that there was no way there was just one species of perching bird in most of North America.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

mike_ie wrote: »
    KOgn1bI.jpg

It goes from Eh? to Xylophone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,616 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I love this forum.
    But.
    That furby organ in the "Not For The Squeamish" thread, should come with a warning.
    Bloody scary to watch and I'm still shuddering here.

I'll be having bad dreams foweva and eva now.

I love this forum.
    But.
    That furby organ in the "Not For The Squeamish" thread, should come with a warning.

Well, the thread is called "Nope" for a reason... ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

I love this forum.
    But.

But, but, but.....they're soooo cute?!!

:):)

Wilberto wrote: »
    But, but, but.....they're soooo cute?!!

:):)

So were the Mogwai, and look what happened. Then there were the Funzos in the Simpsons...

Don't go there, Wil.

5350_fec4.jpeg

hmmmm.....somewhat skeptical about this, off a Googling I go....

Turns out to be entirely true, although perhaps not the most severe symptoms

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irukandji_syndrome
    Most stings occur during the summer wet season in October–May in North Queensland, with different seasonal patterns elsewhere. Because jellyfish are very small, the venom is only injected through the tips of the nematocysts (the cnidocysts) rather than the entire lengths, as a result the sting may barely be noticed at first. It has been described as feeling like little more than a mosquito bite. The symptoms, however, gradually become apparent and then more and more intense in the subsequent 5 to 120 minutes (30 minutes on average). Irukandji syndrome includes an array of systemic symptoms, including severe headache, backache, muscle pains, chest and abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting, sweating, anxiety, hypertension, tachycardia and pulmonary edema. One unusual symptom associated with the syndrome is a feeling of "impending doom".Patients have been reported as being so certain they are going to die, they beg their doctors to kill them to get it over with. Symptoms generally abate in four to 30 hours, but may take up to two weeks to resolve completely.

is it just me or does it seem like most of the really horrible critters that can kill ya live Down Under?

gozunda wrote: »
    Knitted by Nanas

I ssssoooo want!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

is it just me or does it seem like most of the really horrible critters that can kill ya live Down Under?

330px-Dropbear.jpg

^^^^^

that's very similar to the North American Tree Squeak, my kids still think we've a good population all the way down the lane we live on :D

Never seen one though, they're very elusive.

Killer Koala

Fake news, mate. :cool:
    ^^^^^

that's very similar to the North American Tree Squeak, my kids still think we've a good population all the way down the lane we live on :D

Never seen one though, they're very elusive.

Wexie, you're evil genius personified.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement