Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cool Vids&Pics&Links Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

New Home wrote: »
    Fake news, mate. :cool:

Here's a proper scientific paper from the Geographical Society of New South Wales about GPS tracking of you know what.
    Published online: 10 Dec 2012

https://doi.org/10.1080/00049182.2012.731307

It's behind a paywall so here's a direct link
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/259950515_Indirect_Tracking_of_Drop_Bears_Using_GNSS_Technology

also downloadable here
    https://eprints.utas.edu.au/15881/1/2012_Janssen_AusGeog_journal_version.pdf

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Here's a proper scientific paper from the Geographical Society of New South Wales about GPS tracking of you know what.
    Published online: 01 APR 2012ofNEVER

https://doi.org/10.1080/00049182.2012.731307

It's behind a paywall so here's a direct link
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/259950515_Indirect_Tracking_of_Drop_Bears_Using_GNSS_Technology

also downloadable here
    https://eprints.utas.edu.au/15881/1/2012_Janssen_AusGeog_journal_version.pdf

FYP. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,616 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Well, the thread is called "Nope" for a reason... ;)

I assumed NOPE stood for - Needs Opening Pretty Eagerly.
    Am I wrong?

I'm wrong aren't I.:o

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

It stands for "Never Open, Princess! Ever!"

Apologies if we weren't clear and we've traumatised you. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

That's why I didn't think the egg was too much of a stretch.

Apparently the Chinese have already have managed this ...
    ...prepare a mould, then mix the right amounts of resin, starch, coagulant and pigments to make egg white. Sodium alginate, extracted from brown algae, gives the egg white the wanted viscosity. Then add the fake egg yolk, a different mix of resin and pigments. Once the proper shape is achieved, an amalgamate of paraffin wax, gypsum powder and calcium carbonate makes for a credible shell.

See:
    http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/11/06/how-to-make-a-rotten-egg/

:eek:

Ah, but that's fake food, it's used in restaurants (maybe not the rotten egg...) to show customers what they're ordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

What's with the half Batman one?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Van Gogh wearing the mask. But he only has one ear as he cut the other one off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

wwy0D4H.jpg?1

IRELAND: "A week? Pffffftt. Hold my beer, I'll do it in a day."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Train ride? :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Iron Horse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Dave gorman did a good chunk of an episode of modern life is goodish ahout mixing jigsaws a couple of years back. It was very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

The dream about ice cream?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

not a punchline, just a funny story

wally79 wrote: »
    The dream about ice cream?

He woke up, got his wallet, then tried to go back to sleep to pay for his ice-cream.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

mike_ie wrote: »
    widOE29h.png
    Well that's puzzling

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Dave gorman did a good chunk of an episode of modern life is goodish ahout mixing jigsaws a couple of years back. It was very good.

I love that show. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

not a punchline, just a funny story
    He woke up, got his wallet, then tried to go back to sleep to pay for his ice-cream.

Oh. Thanks. Ha I guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Unless I’m mistaken, there seems to be two posts recently in the Videos thread that merely consist of ads for video games.

Surely there’s a more appropriate forum for this?
    Gaming forum, perhaps?

They certainly don’t belong in Cool Vids, IMHO.

Anyone with me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Unless I’m mistaken, there seems to be two posts recently in the Videos thread that merely consist of ads for video games.

Surely there’s a more appropriate forum for this?
    Gaming forum, perhaps?

They certainly don’t belong in Cool Vids, IMHO.

Anyone with me?

Well, it is a 'random' video thread.

wexie wrote: »
    is it just me or does it seem like most of the really horrible critters that can kill ya live Down Under?
    Bb9V2sH.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Bb9V2sH.jpg

Probably some kind of peace offering between rival carnivores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

The little bird is hilarious! :)

Then you ll probably appreciate this one...

https://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/7033375/79ef1a11/re_duitse_heilpapegaai.html

inforfun wrote: »

Yes, yes I did. :D

CDVNuRO.jpg

If that's a turkey leg, that dog is a chihuaua and that shoe is a baby's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Calhoun wrote: »

As previously discussed on this forum, you cannot get a Darwin if you haven’t died!

Or can you?

Actually the Darwin Awards celebrate those who “improve the human gene pool by removing their genes from it.”
    Usually, this means killing themselves before reproducing.

This guy, though, appears to have removed the possibility of him reproducing without actually dying (yet! He is in a coma, after all).

So, provided he hadn’t had a kid first, he is indeed eligible for a Darwin without actually dying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

As previously discussed on this forum, you cannot get a Darwin if you haven’t died!

Or can you?

Actually the Darwin Awards celebrate those who “improve the human gene pool by removing their genes from it.”
    Usually, this means killing themselves before reproducing.

This guy, though, appears to have removed the possibility of him reproducing without actually dying (yet! He is in a coma, after all).

So, provided he hadn’t had a kid first, he is indeed eligible for a Darwin without actually dying!

there has been darwin awards given to ppl who managed to castrate themselves

ganmo wrote: »
    there has been darwin awards given to ppl who managed to castrate themselves

Now, the question is, what if they had children before the event? Would they still get a prize?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,577 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Traveller Monopoly

Racism is hilarious.

Now, the question is, what if they had children before the event? Would they still get a prize?
    And finally, the child who inherits an unlucky gene will have his own shot at notoriety one day. So the rules do not disqualify nominees who have already reproduced.
    https://darwinawards.com/rules/rules.children.html

they thought of everything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

dulpit wrote: »
    Racism is hilarious.

Travelers aren't a race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,577 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Quazzie wrote: »
    Travelers aren't a race

Boards is really becoming a horrible place...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Quazzie wrote: »
    Travelers aren't a race

This is not the place for that conversation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    This is not the place for that conversation

You would have to be running for high office for that to be an acceptable topic....I'm out.

Deja Boo wrote: »
    IIRC, something like that was used in "The Gods Must Be Crazy II".

I found a follow-up on the jigsaws mash-up.

501026.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭GBX

There brilliant! All about imagination :)

• Advertisement

Polarised filters
    500383.gif

Get some of those 3D glasses you get at the cinema and look at your self in a mirror.

Now close one eye...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Get some of those 3D glasses you get at the cinema and look at your self in a mirror.

Don't get what is so amazing about that gif

Now close one eye...

Most mornings without 3D glasses and I don't like what I see!

If I close both I become invisible! Did you know that?

If I close both I become invisible!

“A towel, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value.

You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta;

you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors;

you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat;

wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-boggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you);

you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.”

― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Excuuuuse meeee! I'm not a Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal!! Do you not recognise a Vogon when you meet one?? Shall I recite some of my poetry to you to prove it?

I've no idea what you're all talking about but the answer's 42

• Advertisement

"To be, or not to be". THAT is the question. :pac:

My brain is the size of a planet

Don't panic, Ganmo, you'll be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I think I subscribed to the philosophy thread by accident, get me outta here

No, it's just a temporary branch of this forum here.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement