Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cool Vids&Pics&Links Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Perhaps it's time to throw all those super unfunny Nicholas Cage pics into a thread of their own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Gaspode wrote: »
    Perhaps it's time to throw all those super unfunny Nicholas Cage pics into a thread of their own?
    Somebody's got some Cage rage! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Very easy just skip over them tbh. Was similar with Dolan ones - i wasn't a fan, but if you dont like it, just move on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,297 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's all purely because someone asked told people to stop posting them. Moving them to another thread defeats the purpose and in a way, rewards the person who told people not to post them.

In a day or two, normal service will most likely be resumed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Bees?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

*inserts nicholas cage ironic comment*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Bees?:confused:

Beads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

It's 5:20am, I woke people up laughing at this!
    604027_381071902005941_1600812084_n.png

Fúcking yes!
    daily-morning-awesomeness-26.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Beads.

I'm sure you're being hilarious but I was genuinely asking what's with all the bee pictures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

I'm sure you're being hilarious but I was genuinely asking what's with all the bee pictures.

Slow news day here on the interweb. Don't overthink it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I'm with Granpa Simpson on this one. Am completely lost with the bees and Nicholas Cage stuff.

Having said post 7308 is one of the funniest practical jokes I have ever seen. Genius at work there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

The story of a wealthy family who lost everything and the one son who had no choice but to keep them all together. It's Arrested Development.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

What's the context behind post 7350?

Garda pepper spraying half naked man at Spanish Arch.

It's something that happened a while ago in Galway, where a drunken guy stripped, tried to push the Garda into the water, only to be whacked with a baton and pepper sprayed by said Garda. This image was everyone's favourite, as it made no sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

CMpunked wrote: »
    Alright guys, it goes without saying that a major tragedy is going on in the US at the moment and we dont want it to be a cause of bannings and infractions. But it goes without saying that if anything is posted which is bad taste with regards to the bombings in Boston you will be banned.

This is your one and only warning.

Just wondering - why is it not okay to have things in bad taste re. Boston marathon, but when they bile that was been posted re. Margaret Thatcher was going on - nothing was said?

To be clear, in my opinion neither should be allowed...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,297 ✭✭✭✭Penn

dulpit wrote: »
    Just wondering - why is it not okay to have things in bad taste re. Boston marathon, but when they bile that was been posted re. Margaret Thatcher was going on - nothing was said?

To be clear, in my opinion neither should be allowed...

Trust me, some of the worst Maggie Thatcher ones were deleted as they clearly crossed a line.

There is a clear difference though between the natural death of someone in the public eye who many people hated, and the death and severe injury of several innocent people in such a tragic event.

There's no golden rule. Pictures which cross a line will always be deleted regardless what the subject is. It's our job as mods to decide where that line is, and in this case, we were giving a warning that pictures about this would be over the line, in order to preemptively prevent people from posting pictures (Alliteration always amuses an aardvark) and getting in trouble.

If you feel a picture has been posted which you think crosses a line or is in very bad taste, report it and we'll take a look at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

8UTJLVMl.jpg
    why is this funny?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It's not; it's just f*cking awesome. How many people send in letters of resignation on delicious cakes? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Yeah but it's not funny, same as pictures like this:

BHHBRGNCEAEGqv3.jpg:large

They don't belong in YLYL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Jernal wrote: »
    It's not; it's just f*cking awesome. How many people send in letters of resignation on delicious cakes? :D
    I guess not many because most people would have enough cop on and respect for their employer to at least take it seriously.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I feel sorry for the poor HR intern who had to photocopy it for the employee file

*Thatcher
    thatcher.png

Yeah but it's not funny, same as pictures like this:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BHHBRGNCEAEGqv3.jpg:large

They don't belong in YLYL!

Hate to dissect a joke but that picture is one. The boxes are clearly different colours. Changing your finger position to contrast should make this clear. The picture itself is a parody of an optical illusion. If you place your finger across the middle of the page you 'blot' out the white bit on the bottom box making both boxes now appear to be the same colour.

It's like the joke about the average antelope can jump higher than the average house. This is mainly due the power of its hind legs and the fact that your average everyday house cannot jump.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Hate to dissect a joke but that picture is one. The boxes are clearly different colours. Changing your finger position to contrast should make this clear. The picture itself is a parody of an optical illusion. If you place your finger across the middle of the page you 'blot' out the white bit on the bottom box making both boxes now appear to be the same colour.

It's like the joke about the average antelope can jump higher than the average house. This is mainly due the power of its hind legs and the fact that your average everyday house cannot jump.

It's not a parody, it's an actual optical illusion. The two boxes are the same colour (apart from the gradient at the edges) but the gradient makes one appear lighter than the other. There are loads of similar examples.

It's not a parody, it's an actual optical illusion. The two boxes are the same colour (apart from the gradient at the edges) but the gradient makes one appear lighter than the other. There are loads of similar examples.

There are but this isn't an actual illusion. View the box through a pin hole and you'll see that where the gradient should be is actually a still white colour rectangle. Invert the image and it's even easier to the see that only one box has an actual 'gradient' and that's mostly pure white. The other box has none at all. They're not the same colour.
    :p

Edit : just realised you said the same thing but classify it as an illusion. That's an illusion all right but the boxes aren't the same colours. I think we both agree here. :o Poor captioning :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

There are but this isn't an actual illusion. View the box through a pin hole and you'll see that where the gradient should be is actually a still white colour rectangle. Invert the image and it's even easier to the see that only one box has an actual 'gradient' and that's mostly pure white. The other box has none at all. They're not the same colour.
    :p

Edit : just realised you said the same thing but classify it as an illusion. That's an illusion all right but the boxes aren't the same colours. I think we both agree here. :o Poor captioning :p

The vast majority of the boxes are the same colour (about 90%). The part that join clearly aren't, the top one is black and the bottom one is white but it's only a small part of the boxes. The main part of the bottom box still looks like it is lighter than the main part of the top box. It's an optical illusion because it is messing with our perceptions. We perceive the bottom box as being lighter than the top box even though they are the same colour.

28141_505468656175057_1219244318_n.jpg
    Bored-at-computer-300x258.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Bored-at-computer-300x258.jpg

Do I really have to point out that posts like that are really not what this thread is intended for? :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I'm with Granpa Simpson on this one. Am completely lost with the bees and Nicholas Cage stuff.

Having said post 7308 is one of the funniest practical jokes I have ever seen. Genius at work there

Finally, I get the acknowledgement I crave ;)

CMpunked wrote: »
    Do I really have to point out that posts like that are really not what this thread is intended for? :/
    Yes. Yes you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

What am I missing in this? Where is the extra piece coming from?

choc.gif

It is witchcraft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

When they all connect up, they all gain a bit slightly, and over the five rows its equivalent to a full rectangle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Quazzie wrote: »
    When they all connect up, they all gain a bit slightly, and over the five rows its equivalent to a full rectangle

A pause button would be really handy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

ratmouse wrote: »
    cartoon-alligator-humor-humour-fun-funny1.jpg

I dont get it :$

I dont get it :$

See you later alligator??

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    See you later alligator??

Or In a while Crocodile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Ah rite funny. but because I had to have it explained takes the goodness out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Ah rite funny. but because I had to have it explained takes the goodness out of it.

took me a few minutes to figure out too, you're not alone :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭CrazyMel

• Site Banned Posts: 256 ✭✭Dr Silly Bollox MD

Why were all my brilliant gifs deleted?

1. they weren't all that funny, but thats subjective.
    2. I think about 2 of the fifteen or so you posted actually showed up.

I aint a mod so maybe they have other reasons. Thats purely speculation on my behalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Was it edited stating the reason?
    Probably reposts.

1. they weren't all that funny, but thats subjective.
    2. I think about 2 of the fifteen or so you posted actually showed up.
    1. Alot of posts in that Thread are more cool than funny
    2. :confused: How you know their was 15 if you only saw 2?

They did all show.
    Proco Jr. wrote: »
    Was it edited stating the reason?
    Probably reposts.
    31(?) over 3 posts (theirs a 15 pic per post limit), 2 posts completely deleted (30 gifs) leaving one, thats shortened to link saying repost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

PM the mods and ask them.

2. :confused: How you know their was 15 if you only saw 2?

They did all show.
    Not for me they didn't when I was viewing them shortly after you posted them. I know there was a lot because there was a succession of broken link images in the posts.

Not for me they didn't when I was viewing them shortly after you posted them. I know there was a lot because there was a succession of broken link images in the posts.
    All visible to me....strange one.

Anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Wheres the funny?

best-photos-thechive-32.jpg?w=500&h=375

Wheres the funny?

best-photos-thechive-32.jpg?w=500&h=375

Anne Frank with a Justin beiber poster on the wall.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement