Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cool Vids&Pics&Links Discussion Thread

Comments

Soldering Iron repost, that one dates back to the 1980s, probably been reposted every year since. ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Suckit wrote: »
    Tried doing that to see the pics, nope, unfortunately still blank.

I'll PM you later from my computer with some ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

tGPteLS.jpg

This problem in everyday life! When I read anything on email lately, I really do need people to be more specific about what they mean.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 755 ✭✭✭stock>

Soldering Iron repost, that one dates back to the 1980s, probably been reposted every year since. ;)

Hmm I am avid fan of YLYL and have no recollection of the soldering iron being posted previously............. but the gods have spoken so it law............

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If you didn't have a life, you'd remember it, too. ;)

New Home wrote: »
    If you didn't have a life, you'd remember it, too. ;)
    :D but I can say in my defence that I used to work in the electronics industry and can remember that picture appearing in a trade magazine, along with a number of jokes.

The image was originally in a careers advice promotion campaign, in around 1985.

:D but I can say in my defence that I used to work in the electronics industry and can remember that picture appearing in a trade magazine, along with a number of jokes.

The image was originally in a careers advice promotion campaign, in around 1985.

I didn't mean to pick on you, DB - I was the one who edited it as a repost in the first place, sooo... "Dear Santa, I've been boringly good, could I please have a soldering iron, a life, and a surprise?" :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

deise08 wrote: »
    This photo is captured by Chinese satellite with 24.9 billion pixels of quantum technology. You can zoom in and even see the faces of the pedestrians.
    http://sh-meet.bigpixel.cn/?from=groupmessage&isappinstalled=0&fbclid=IwAR0SziwBR3h7MrWai362139GMm9EapLh-6BD9updZUMeK2cThRBgAG3XpxE

By satellite? Angles and what not don't really add up here. If you drag the picture around, you can look up at the tops of buildings above you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

360 technology?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭roosterman71

GBX wrote: »
    360 technology?

Maybe, but not on a satellite. I reckon this picture was taken up high using 360 on a building/drone or something. Unreal quality though, and that is pretty savage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

deise08 wrote: »
    This photo is captured by Chinese satellite with 24.9 billion pixels of quantum technology. You can zoom in and even see the faces of the pedestrians.
    http://sh-meet.bigpixel.cn/?from=groupmessage&isappinstalled=0&fbclid=IwAR0SziwBR3h7MrWai362139GMm9EapLh-6BD9updZUMeK2cThRBgAG3XpxE

Now that's seriously cool. I zoomed all the way in and can read reg plates on vehicles. Uber-cool stuff!!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

astrofluff wrote: »
    Now that's seriously cool. I zoomed all the way in and can read reg plates on vehicles. Uber-cool stuff!!

Big brother definitely got a new Christmas present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

If the picture is captured by the satelite how are the license plates visible unless the car is pointing to the sky? :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭KAGY

Quazzie wrote: »
    If the picture is captured by the satelite how are the license plates visible unless the car is pointing to the sky? :confused::confused::confused:

Its the quantum technology obviously,

More images/links http://gigapan.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Not from a satellite, but from one of the buildings in Shanghai

Taken from the top of the Oriental Pearl Tower in Shanghai. They say the resolution is 195 gigapixels. 195,000,000,000 pixels. Thassa lotta pixellage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Cool as it is - it’s very obviously not taken from a satellite - you can rotate to look upwards at the sky!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

blackwhite wrote: »
    Cool as it is - it’s very obviously not taken from a satellite - you can rotate to look upwards at the sky!!

Damn quantum dynamics, trying to be in 2 places at the same time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

It says underneath that it's a 195 gigapixel picture taken from the top of the Pearl Tower in Shanghai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

It didn't say where the satellite was.. :pac:

There are a few gigapixel pics of Dublin too. Not as good but good (click and drag mouse to pan).
    http://www.full-frame.pl/giga/111101-dublin/gigadublin.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Have you been in space? How do you know what it reeeeeeeally looks like up there.

Have you been in space? How do you know what it reeeeeeeally looks like up there.

'Up' and 'down' are simply constructs of our own metaphysical experience .... and of course gravity :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is also not that much use for "big brother". These kind of images are created by taking thousands of normal-size photos and digitally stitching them all together to create a huge one.

It's been getting faster. I remember when these first started appearing, the whole process between taking the photos and stitching it together took several weeks.

Now they can do it at events; stadiums and the like. Taking the photos only takes a couple of minutes and the final image will be produced the next day.

But we're still several years, if not decades away from being able to do this in real time, i.e. video.

One of the Dublin ones is taken during the Guinness Storehouse tour, or seems to be anyway.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    35511613d3ee71f31b4216bfa43cc6c0.jpg

Cluck cluck .... bang! :pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Bootup wrote: »
    SNCtDcD.png

The charity panto in aid of paranoid schizophrenics descended into chaos yesterday when someone shouted "He's behind you!"

gozunda wrote: »
    Cluck cluck .... bang! :pac:

So you get pellets, bits of feathers, bones and blood embedded in the cement, too. Fair play. :cool::rolleyes::p

So you get pellets, bits of feathers, bones and blood embedded in the cement, too. Fair play. :cool::rolleyes::p

Alternatively roast chicken in a concrete crust might be tasty :D

Old forms of wall plaster included of blood and animal hair as binders - some feathers etc in the concrete probably not going to be a big problem :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭Kat1170

New Home wrote:
    So you get pellets, bits of feathers, bones and blood embedded in the cement, too. Fair play.

More importantly, it sends out a message to all the other feathered dinosaurs not to funk with the concrete :). :)

So, it's ok for humans to do it in Hollywood, but not for a hen in the comfort of her own yard? That's sssooo not fair!

• Advertisement

So, it's ok for humans to do it in Hollywood, but not for a hen in the comfort of her own yard? That's sssooo not fair!

The hen is famous - who knew! Don't tell me - she's one of the hens that laid the eggs used to replicate dinosaurs in Jurassic Park! ;) Ami right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 670 ✭✭✭sightband

Nuno wrote: »

who else focused in on that gondola only to be disappointed to find it empty? :(

What's the significance of the Elvis pic?

sightband wrote: »
    who else focused in on that gondola only to be disappointed to find it empty? :(
    There is a man hiking to the left of it. :)

How do the builders get up to the area with the crane :eek: ? The stairs is completely covered down at the lower part of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

Suckit wrote: »
    sightband wrote: »
    There is a man hiking to the left of it. :)

How do the builders get up to the area with the crane :eek: ? The stairs is completely covered down at the lower part of it.
    helicopters 

these lads will sort you out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

help on the Gloria one?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

silverharp wrote: »
    help on the Gloria one?

Glo o o o o o o o o o ria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

I also want to know this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Bootup wrote: »
    CcwyFHoO_o.jpg

Which, in fairness, is almost the same thing as could happen if someone with coeliac disease eats gluten.
    (Except hopefully they'll make it to the loo first!!)

• Advertisement

I also want to know this?

It's in cool pictures, isn't it?

It's in cool pictures, isn't it?
    That particular Elvis picture looks like it was one of the last pictures of him alive, he doesn't look well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭KathleenGrant

So? Even if it was taken the day before he died I don't see it as cool.

True, not a cool picture, sad perhaps.

But... Elvis is the epitome of coolness!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭wally79

That’s allowed. Cool, like humour, is subjective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

wally79 wrote: »
    Glo o o o o o o o o o ria

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

But... Elvis is the epitome of coolness!!!

Is it his daughter in the pic with him?

I was thinking that, but I'm not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

“Take me to your stove”the alien landing pic??

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Is it his daughter in the pic with him?

Seems to be, but a reverse image search brings up more sinister results. :eek :

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement