Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cool Vids&Pics&Links Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭vh4sd

I absolutely have to have this..... If anyone can find it online please send me a link....I'm not racist....but...

sDKpvW4.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

little help here?
    Augmerson wrote: »
    E9YDwBe.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

Why was six afraid of seven?

because seven eight nine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Good news everyone !

5DMvTNQ.jpg

I win, haven't a clue what that pic means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,460 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I thought it looked like a penis!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Game of Thrones spoilers are a shame. Same with Love / Hate before.

/unsubscribes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,297 ✭✭✭✭Penn

keith16 wrote: »
    Game of Thrones spoilers are a shame. Same with Love / Hate before.

/unsubscribes

In fairness, we were deleting GoT spoilers when we could, but after about 4 days there's very little point. Anyone who went on any news site would have had it spoiled over the last few days, even if they managed to avoid Facebook/Twitter spoilers.

I think for tv shows, after about 3 days if you hadn't watched it by then it's pretty unreasonable to still expect people to not be talking or posting pictures about it. And I say that as someone who has been spoiled several times in similar circumstances. The Guardian's twitter feed spoiled the ending of the last series of Sherlock. News sites constantly have spoilers in headlines about tv shows.

With respect, if you're behind and haven't gotten to see something yet, avoid the internet. We do what we can to remove spoilers for the first few days, but after that there's simply no point. At what stage is it safe to allow them? If we waited two weeks someone might still be spoiled, yet more and more pictures will have been made about it that people try to post.

Sorry if it means you unsubscribe from CVPL, but at some point things stop being spoilers and become common knowledge for the majority of posters, and that's what we have to cater for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Back in the old days you'ld relish the opportunity to spoil something for anyone you knew
    The Crying Game - "It's a bloke"
    Empire Strikes Back - "Vader is Luke's da"
    Presumed Innocent - "The wife done it"

The internet's made us all too politically correct!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I don't see what political correctness has to do with spoiling someones enjoyment of a series/ movie/ book whatever.

In fairness I think the mods do a good job on this and most people are aware (ie are not dicks) that they should give a spoiler alert before announcing anything. I see the Metro rag is also taking alot of flack from readers for spoilers on Game of Thrones so it seems to be a media wide phenomenon.

I think comparing it to a football game is not a good comparison in that not many people watch old football matches and if they do even if they do not know the actual result, the ultimate result would be known (for example I doubt anyone thinks that maybe Ireland did win the world cup in 1994)

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Back in the old days you'ld relish the opportunity to spoil something for anyone you knew
    The Crying Game - "It's a bloke"
    Empire Strikes Back - "Vader is Luke's da"
    Presumed Innocent - "The wife done it"

The internet's made us all too politically correct!

inconceivable_means_02.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

This may sound the most bizarre thing ever. :o
    If I suspect a post in YLYL contains spoilers of a tv show (I haven't seen any of GOT S3) I'll use a book to block the entire portion of my screen so that only a column width allowing me to identify the post number (#1017) is visible. Then I merely scroll down to the next post.
    It's not ideal and I may skip some posts unnecesarily. Or there may be other gags in the post that are not tv related. But so far I've avoid all the spoilers. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Penn wrote: »

At what stage is it safe to allow them? If we waited two weeks someone might still be spoiled, yet more and more pictures will have been made about it that people try to post.

Sorry if it means you unsubscribe from CVPL, but at some point things stop being spoilers and become common knowledge for the majority of posters, and that's what we have to cater for.

Fair enough, but there are plenty of people who haven't seen a whole host of TV series. I would say it's far far from the majority of people who have seen the latest episode within 3 days of airing.

I think it's also unreasonable to expect everyone to live their lives according to a TV schedule. That's why box sets and Netflix are so popular these days, people watch them at their own convenience.

Bottom line is, if you post a spoiler, you're being a dick. That's why spoiler tags exist and are used by decent posters that may contain spoilers of content that is several years old.

Given the amount of modding for reposts and the contempt with which they are held, the addition all effort for editing spoiler posts would be marginal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

What's with reported reposts not being removed?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

kmart6 wrote: »
    What's with reported reposts not being removed?!

Some reports are not reposts and some are so old we let them slide. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

The Colorado cinema shooter is not old and is certainly a repost, been posted a few times!

From earlier discussions in this thread, people were complaining that many things we were editing as reposts weren't reposts, and that even if some were reposts many people wouldn't have seen them before. As such, the mods have implemented a new system of dealing with reposts to combat this issue.

Some pictures may still have been posted once or twice before, but given how fast YLYL moves and how not everyone reads every page or gets online each day, there's probably still a large enough amount of users who haven't seen that pic (for example) before.

Obviously, the very old pics which get posted all the time (girl's arm makes it look like her friend is naked, shadow on girl's leg makes it look like she has a penis, BatCat etc) will be edited as reposts, as will pics which have been posted within about a week earlier. Other than that, unless it's reported by a certain number of posters as being a repost, we're erring on the side of leniency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

From earlier discussions in this thread, people were complaining that many things we were editing as reposts weren't reposts, and that even if some were reposts many people wouldn't have seen them before. As such, the mods have implemented a new system of dealing with reposts to combat this issue.

Some pictures may still have been posted once or twice before, but given how fast YLYL moves and how not everyone reads every page or gets online each day, there's probably still a large enough amount of users who haven't seen that pic (for example) before.

Obviously, the very old pics which get posted all the time (girl's arm makes it look like her friend is naked, shadow on girl's leg makes it look like she has a penis, BatCat etc) will be edited as reposts, as will pics which have been posted within about a week earlier. Other than that, unless it's reported by a certain number of posters as being a repost, we're erring on the side of leniency.
    Why not just use the current system, but just remove the IMG tags so that it shows up as a link and people can still click into it, to view it if they so desire?

Quazzie wrote: »
    Why not just use the current system, but just remove the IMG tags so that it shows up as a link and people can still click into it, to view it if they so desire?

But that's what we had always been doing and is what people had been complaining about. We rarely deleted reposts, we nearly always changed them to links. Changing it to a link and putting up a short description means you have to read the description (which in some cases might ruin the joke the picture is trying to portray), click the link, then press back (or close the new browser tab) to go back and reload the page of YLYL you were on. If they hadn't seen those pics before, that could be pretty frustrating if there were maybe two reposts per page. It ruins the flow of taking a quick look through YLYL.

If it's a non-obvious repost (one not posted in the last week or one of the obvious ones we get all the time), then the least obstructive thing for the majority of users is to leave it up and people who've seen it before can just scroll past it. That's probably even less obstructive than having to read the description of a repost to see if they've seen it before and having to scroll past that too. And as I said, if enough people report something as a repost, we'll change it to a link as per usual, rather than the old system of doing it when only one person reported it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

But that's what we had always been doing and is what people had been complaining about. We rarely deleted reposts, we nearly always changed them to links. Changing it to a link and putting up a short description means you have to read the description (which in some cases might ruin the joke the picture is trying to portray), click the link, then press back (or close the new browser tab) to go back and reload the page of YLYL you were on. If they hadn't seen those pics before, that could be pretty frustrating if there were maybe two reposts per page. It ruins the flow of taking a quick look through YLYL.

If it's a non-obvious repost (one not posted in the last week or one of the obvious ones we get all the time), then the least obstructive thing for the majority of users is to leave it up and people who've seen it before can just scroll past it. That's probably even less obstructive than having to read the description of a repost to see if they've seen it before and having to scroll past that too. And as I said, if enough people report something as a repost, we'll change it to a link as per usual, rather than the old system of doing it when only one person reported it.

That's fair enough I suppose. I don't think we can ask for more than that to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

gimli2112 wrote: »
    The Crying Game -
    "It's a bloke"
    Empire Strikes Back -
    "Vader is Luke's da"
    Presumed Innocent -
    "The wife done it"
    you bastid how do you sleep at night ? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

you bastid how do you sleep at night ? :mad:

Presumably with cackles of glee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

201213.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

The ad on the bus is a specsavers one, but the one reflected in the luas is a thomas cook one.

Is the Thomas Cooke one not coming from a different angle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

I don't know the context of the photo, but surely if they walked around the far side they could open the emergency door/back window and get in that way?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

guttenberg wrote: »
    I don't know the context of the photo, but surely if they walked around the far side they could open the emergency door/back window and get in that way?
    Reminds me of the bus stuck under the bridge. Engineers wanted to dismantle the bridge or take an angle grinder to the bus..

Kid says "why not just let the air out of the tyres?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

They're not trying to get in at this point but seperate them in a safe manner
    g1359027748225580317.jpg
    Is this relevent to something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

They're not trying to get in at this point but seperate them in a safe manner

Dont think so, its just yet another stupid fu(kin "look at the cute cat pic." one of the many destroying ylyl. i really wish mods would set up a different thread for the pics like thet did with the rage comics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Yeah it is, it's in reference to this meme

I_Should_Buy_A_Boat.jpg

Dont think so, its just yet another stupid fu(kin "look at the cute cat pic." one of the many destroying ylyl. i really wish mods would set up a different thread for the pics like thet did with the rage comics

Not this crap again. Bit dramatic to say certain pics are "destroying" YLYL. If you don't like it, scroll past. Humour is subjective. The Rage comics and Dolan comics have already been given their own threads...if we started breaking it down even further there would be about a dozen different threads for different categories of funny stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Chucken wrote: »
    Is the Thomas Cooke one not coming from a different angle?

Different picture.

4840cced565cc1c7684344a295ebb4df.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

garv123 wrote: »
    Different picture.

I think the specsavers add was the joke

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    I think the specsavers add was the joke

Yeah but it was a fail of a photoshop because the original advertising was in the reflection and people were commenting saying the reflection was a different angle showing a different advertising sign.. hence the post.

I assume whoever created it did it for the laugh rather than expecting it to stand up to any actual scrutiny:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Plus, it's a repost to boot :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

That's bloody stupid! Sure phones are all different shapes and sizes. And anyway, surely you could just stack up some beer mats to use instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 easter island head

Looking at the latest YLYL thread, why are so many blank posts being tolerated? For example, this guy has a penchant for it...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85059394&postcount=4

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85059426&postcount=6

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85059495&postcount=9

And some more.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85064837&postcount=24

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85076894&postcount=52

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85083666&postcount=71

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85087034&postcount=82

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85088253&postcount=83

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85089693&postcount=86

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=85090880&postcount=92

If these stupid posts are directed at preceeding posts? It would appear some people can't be arséd to make an effort, by posting a picture to counter the previous post?

When you read the rules this is the first thing you see....
    Rules and guidelines:

This is a picture thread only
    Picture only?.......Picture only? Then why are blank posts allowed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Looking at the latest YLYL thread, why are so many blank posts being tolerated? For example, this guy has a penchant for it...

If these stupid posts are directed at preceeding posts? It would appear some people can't be arséd to make an effort, by posting a picture to counter the previous post?

When you read the rules this is the first thing you see....Picture only?.......Picture only? Then why are blank posts allowed?

understand-huh-hunh.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

You registered just for that easter island head? it might be your computer blocking the images, all them links work fine for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 easter island head

You registered just for that easter island head?

6k95VH.jpg

Nope, today is the 15th of June, I registered last month.

it might be your computer blocking the images, all them links work fine for me.

Well it hasn't happened before. Even if I try to quote or hyperlink those posts they are blank. Usually if there's a dodgy pic, I will get a security alert and that's it.

It happens to me sometimes too that there will just be a blank pic but then when I go back later I can see it. It is most likely the software on your computer that is blocking them or maybe they are slow to load due to your internet connection.

• Advertisement

I can see all those pics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It happens to me sometimes too that there will just be a blank pic but then when I go back later I can see it. It is most likely the software on your computer that is blocking them or maybe they are slow to load due to your internet connection.

Happens to me the odd time too.

Its not me.. its you..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Definitely just you, I can see all those pictures. As can all the people who thank the posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Check your settings or clean out your hard disk. All of the pictures you quoted here can be seen.

If you are viewing from a restricted PC like a work PC they may have blocked some sites meaning the hot link will fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Chucken wrote: »
    I can see all those pics!

Me too, and they're definitely the finest ever in YLYL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

What's the one with the Nike Price Drop about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Boombastic wrote: »
    What's the one with the Nike Price Drop about?

The price drop has made it 2 dollars more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

What am I missing here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,450 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

What am I missing here?

I assume it's the difference in number of units in the bottle. To an Irish person it's 1.1 units, in the UK it's 1.3 (meaning Irish could drink more)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement