Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cool Vids&Pics&Links Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

What's the story with the cartoon of the bear with an octopus on his head?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

What's the story with the cartoon of the bear with an octopus on his head?

I love this thread. I see a pic in YLYL i don't understand, i look and see this thread has new posts and its asking about the pic :D

Normally theres an explanation pretty quickly :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭emo72

Chet T16 wrote: »
    I love this thread. I see a pic in YLYL i don't understand, i look and see this thread has new posts and its asking about the pic :D

Normally theres an explanation pretty quickly :(

yeah. im stumped too. might even have to google it myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

emo72 wrote: »
    yeah. im stumped too. might even have to google it myself!

Might be the month that's in it.....

ah yeah....thanks. wasnt funny though. Boards owes me:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ferrigan101

ah yeah....thanks. wasnt funny though. Boards owes me:P

Ahh here, it just means you're still winning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

It's a great fact but I don't know who's face that is..

I read this about 2 hours ago and it only just clicked now. Octo-bear. Hunt for red octo-bear. That's...actually quite clever!

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote: »

well obviously thats Ben Johnson, and................no. i got nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,808 ✭✭✭Evade

I think it's an attempt at trolling. There can't be more of something made of atoms than there are atoms in the universe.

The picture is Neil deGrasse Tyson, an astrophysicist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

well obviously thats Ben Johnson, and................no. i got nothing.

It's Neil deGrasse Tyson, American scientist. Reason it's (supposed to be) funny, is that the quote is nonsense. Think about it. Stars are made up of at least >1 atoms, so how can there be more stars than atoms?
    Last year at some stage a group on Reddit did up a bunch of these to show how the authority bias works, ie: because it's someone in authority/respect saying a thing, we tend not to engage with it critically like we would a quote from an unknown.

Edit: Evade steals the gold :(

*blink blink*

Well, at least I didn't lose.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

It's Neil deGrasse Tyson, a famous astrophysicist who comments on all things space related. It's a parody on one of his quotes:

'There are more stars in the universe than grains of sand on any beach, more stars than seconds have passed since Earth formed, more stars than words and sounds ever uttered by all the humans who ever lived.'

The 'fact' in the picture couldn't possibly be true. Stars are made of atoms, so there can't be more stars in our galaxy than atoms in the universe. There couldn't even be more stars in our galaxy than atoms in our galaxy given that stars consist of many atoms. I imagine it was created so that people who like to post this sort of stuff on facebook/reddit(not in the funny section)would look like idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I knew the "fact" was completely arse but I didnt know the man in the picture so I didnt want to call bull**** until I understood the entire image :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I read this about 2 hours ago and it only just clicked now. Octo-bear. Hunt for red octo-bear. That's...actually quite clever!

Oh god I feel so thick!!!
    Even when someone said 'the month that's in it', I still didn't get it! I thought they meant the bear was dressing up as an octopus for Halloween! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

:mad:
    --Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Is the second screen from the ads about the thicko husband not being able to do house repairs or something? So the joke would be there's been an explosion cause he didn't install something right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

:mad:Is the second screen from the ads about the thicko husband not being able to do house repairs or something? So the joke would be there's been an explosion cause he didn't install something right?

I thought it was that the nag of a wife blames everything on the poor sod, so she'd blame him for the towers collapse..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It's Neil deGrasse Tyson, a famous astrophysicist who comments on all things space related. It's a parody on one of his quotes:

'There are more stars in the universe than grains of sand on any beach, more stars than seconds have passed since Earth formed, more stars than words and sounds ever uttered by all the humans who ever lived.'

The 'fact' in the picture couldn't possibly be true. Stars are made of atoms, so there can't be more stars in our galaxy than atoms in the universe. There couldn't even be more stars in our galaxy than atoms in our galaxy given that stars consist of many atoms. I imagine it was created so that people who like to post this sort of stuff on facebook/reddit(not in the funny section)would look like idiots.

Fun Fact: Neil deGrasse Tyson is also the "We got a badass over here" meme

12766-cm12766150075102da016gif-GXCf.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Julez

Can someone tell me the point of the counting with pictures thread? What a waste of bandwidth. Its just people googling a number then posting up some obscure model of some old electronic device or whatever from what they see on Google images. How is it in any way entertaining or "cool"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Julez wrote: »
    Can someone tell me the point of the counting with pictures thread? What a waste of bandwidth. Its just people googling a number then posting up some obscure model of some old electronic device or whatever from what they see on Google images. How is it in any way entertaining or "cool"?

Think it made more sense at lower numbers - it's easy to find a good, relevant image with a 100 on it but outside of Nokia phone model numbers, once you hit the thousands it's just a google-and-post job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

I've been waiting since the start to post a number in the late 7000's region. So it's not all googling.

7505 at the moment, nearly there...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It keeps people happy.
    You could argue that many threads are pointless but *shrugs* whatever people want to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Whatever it is, I'm not seeing it :o:o

tumblr_lijpnfYdkO1qha5lao1_500.jpg

I knew that would come up here! But it's funny, honest!

It's a spoof of the facebomb meme

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Ha I thought it was because one was shorter than the others which would be impossible as they are all
    identical to each other as they are all the same person - clones you know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,414 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Ha I thought it was because one was shorter than the others which would be impossible as they are all
    identical to each other as they are all the same person - clones you know

Tell that to the one who bumps his head on the door on the way in :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

patmac wrote: »
    For the day that's in it
    6vPVKk.jpg

Who's that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Grimebox wrote: »
    Who's that?

Veronica Guerin

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Grimebox wrote: »
    Who's that?

i_dont_want_to_live_on_this_planet_anymore_20.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

I don't get the bear one.

"My favourite part of a movie"

"Is when the guy falling hits the propeller"

Very general movie reference or am I reading into it to much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Clareman wrote: »

I didn't know who that was a photo of either (and I do know who she was). She's not exactly the most recognisable person on the planet, is she?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I could kind of figure out who it was from context but I certainly wouldn't recognise her from a photo. Now, if someone said "it's Veronica Guerin" and they still hadn't head of her... then maybe post your hilarious meme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Clareman wrote: »

Feck off. I was 9 when that happened. 9 year old me couldn't give two ****s about it at the time. It's not like her face is plastered all over the place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

I don't get the bear one.

"My favourite part of a movie"

"Is when the guy falling hits the propeller"

Very general movie reference or am I reading into it to much?

Its captioned as well. Its about Titanic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

J. Marston wrote: »
    V8JOPcah.jpg

What's this one about?

It's a reference to the show The Wire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It comes from Reddit. It started as somebody saying "Happy Octo-bear", with a drawing of the bear with an octopus on his head and then loads of people expanded on it, including the Hunt for Red Octo-bear.

So it's group cleverness rather than one single person doing something really abstract :)

If like me and probably 99% of the world you hadn't clue what the hell this post was about, I just stumbled on this news story;
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/sport/soccer/pressure-group-demands-hodgson-attend-race-appreciation-course-610549.html

Anyone know why this is funny?
    5374_10e2_500.jpeg

The two bits of hand look like they're grabbing the border between the two posts.

The two bits of hand look like they're grabbing the border between the two posts.

Oh right. I have most recent post at the top of the page so doesn't work on mine. Looks like 2 random pics

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Oh right. I have most recent post at the top of the page so doesn't work on mine. Looks like 2 random pics
    It took me a while to get, It doesn't work as well when you are using the dark theme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭snow scorpion

Hold your head up high, Ireland. You've done very well for yourself!

What Each Country Leads The World In

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

2na3eo4.jpg

What's the name of this meme?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

kowloon wrote: »
    J1MtHP7.jpg

Who is that 10 year old child beside Kurt?

Amanda Todd, infamous cyber-bullying case.

Strikes me as a really, really dumb picture in the picture. Amanda Todd's story is well worth knowing about!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_of_Amanda_Todd

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement