Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cool Vids&Pics&Links Discussion Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Rovi wrote: »
    I like cooking, my family, and my pets.

Thats what I thought but for some reason it still made no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Without the commas, it reads that the writer likes cooking their family and pets.
    People who cook their family and pets are probably psychos.

Without the commas, it reads that the writer likes cooking their family and pets.

Yeah I got that bit but when trying to work out how it should have been written "I like cooking, my family, and my pets" still didnt make any sense to me for some reason, just looked like "I like cooking. Random thing. Random thing." The old noodle must have switched off for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I like cooking, my family, and my pets.
    Thats what I thought but for some reason it still made no sense.
    Yeah I got that bit but when trying to work out how it should have been written "I like cooking, my family, and my pets" still didnt make any sense to me for some reason, just looked like "I like cooking. Random thing. Random thing." The old noodle must have switched off for a while.

What has actually been written means "I like cooking my family and I like cooking my pets", which, as has been suggested, would put the writer into the realms of the psychotic.
    Whereas if one uses commas correctly, it would mean "I like cooking and I like my family and I like my pets". Which is quite normal and not at all psychotic.
    If you're still missing it, despite the input of Rovi and me, then you're probably beyond grammatical help.

What has actually been written means "I like cooking my family and I like cooking my pets", which, as has been suggested, would put the writer into the realms of the psychotic.
    Whereas if one uses commas correctly, it would mean "I like cooking and I like my family and I like my pets". Which is quite normal and not at all psychotic.
    If you're still missing it, despite the input of Rovi and me, then you're probably beyond grammatical help.

I think you're having some grammatical trouble yourself. Read back, I got the joke, I understood the joke. But when I asked the question in here the sentence even with commas didnt seem to be grammatically correct. Like I said the old noodle must have switched off for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

It doesn't actually seem like a thing anyone would actually say though.
    "What do you like?" "oh let me see. Well, I like cooking, my family, and my pets".
    It probably just seems wrong because they don't go together. Like that homework you get when you're 5 - "Which is the odd one out? Dog, Cat, Rabbit, Clock."

It doesn't actually seem like a thing anyone would actually say though...

Of course it's not a thing that people would actually say. It's a sentence specifically constructed to demonstrate the difference that correct punctuation makes.

Take the sentence "The quick brown fox jumped over the big lazy dog." Do you believe that it's actually a true story? Let me assure you, foxes - quick, brown or otherwise - do not routinely jump over dogs, no matter how big and lazy they are.

It's just an example.

Of course it's not a thing that people would actually say. It's a sentence specifically constructed to demonstrate the difference that correct punctuation makes.

Take the sentence "The quick brown fox jumped over the big lazy dog." Do you believe that it's actually a true story? Let me assure you, foxes - quick, brown or otherwise - do not routinely jump over dogs, no matter how big and lazy they are.

It's just an example.

Yeah, but it just takes away from the "joke" if it's not realistic in this case.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

280005.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I'm disappointed that I cannot find any errors with the grammar or punctuation in this post. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

"Which is the odd one out? Dog, Cat, Rabbit, Clock."
    Don't keep us all in suspense

Which one is it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Al Capwned wrote: »
    I'm disappointed that I cannot find any errors with the grammar or punctuation in this post. :)

You should look a bit harder. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

It doesn't actually seem like a thing anyone would actually say though.
    "What do you like?" "oh let me see. Well, I like cooking, my family, and my pets".
    It probably just seems wrong because they don't go together. Like that homework you get when you're 5 - "Which is the odd one out? Dog, Cat, Rabbit, Clock."
    Is it Cat?
    I don't like cats, but I like the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Is it Cat?
    I don't like cats, but I like the others.

I think it's rabbit, the other 3 all only have 1 vowel in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

dulpit wrote: »
    I think it's rabbit, the other 3 all only have 1 vowel in them.
    I think you might be right, rabbit is also the only one with an even amount of letters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

It's the clock! All the others have paws, while a clock has hands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Allyall wrote: »

Where the fingers are headed?

Allyall wrote: »

I think the joke is in the hand sign. The national sex education program seems to be teaching kids the three fingers technique...

I think the joke is in the hand sign. The national sex education program seems to be teaching kids the three fingers technique...

Clearly the scout sign... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Where the fingers are headed?

:o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭red_0007

racso1975 wrote: »

Totally not getting this. And then it appears later with Katie Taylor.
    Thanks

Ya dont say :eek:

blackwhite wrote: »
    You should look a bit harder. ;)

Would you care to enlighten us?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

It should be Rovi and I not Rovi and me.

ken wrote: »
    It should be Rovi and I not Rovi and me.

No, it shouldn't. The input came from 'me', it did not come from 'I'. It's to do with subjects and objects of verbs.

No, it shouldn't. The input came from 'me', it did not come from 'I'. It's to do with subjects and objects of verbs.
    "And me" is still incorrect. The correct term is "and I". As in "My wife and I went to the cinema" Not "my wife and me".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

"And me" is still incorrect. The correct term is "and I". As in "My wife and I went to the cinema" Not "my wife and me".

The two personal pronouns I and me are often used wrongly, usually in sentences in which I is being used with another noun. Here are some tips to help you get it right:
    Here ye go!

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

The caption on imgur is "the ONE time I needed a needle and thread"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭blackwhite

If you copy and paste into MS Word it'll highlight it for you.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The caption on imgur is "the ONE time I needed a needle and thread"
    This is what happens when people who don't understand how to be funny repost stuff from reddit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Jesus is he landing in the water or is there a bungy cord I can't see?

TheBody wrote: »
    Messiest Urinal ever

Kinda related and the only photo I could find Online of one, but Supermac's have these sinks

CIMG1635.JPG

Basically they're automatic. One night after a nightclub, the urinals and cubicles were full and some extremely drunk guy really needed to go for a piss, so he mistook one of these things as a urinal, despite everyone else in there trying to tell him otherwise. So as he proceeded to pee, he inadvertently activated the sensors, which turned on the soap dispenser, the tap, and then finally the blowdryer.

You can be damned sure nobody used that sink afterwards.

CIMG1635.JPG
    Why does the dad have a camera in the bathroom???

Yea, it's an extremely weird picture. Only one I could find of those sinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Why does the dad have a camera in the bathroom???

Why is this even a big deal? PC gone mad

Grimebox wrote: »
    Why is this even a big deal? PC gone mad

Not PC, just a bizarre photo to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

Synode wrote: »
    Jesus is he landing in the water or is there a bungy cord I can't see?

Parachute on his back???:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭abbir

The correct term is not always "and I". 'I' is a subjective pronoun so is only to be used when it is the subject in the sentence. In your sentence, "My wife and I went to the cinema", "my wife and I" is the subject of the sentence, so yes it is correct.

However, 'me' is an objective pronoun so is used when it is the object in the sentence. In locum-motion's sentence, "Rovi and me" is the object of the sentence.

If in doubt, remove the "my wife and" and just leave the "I" or "me". Does the sentence still read correctly? i.e. "I went to the cinema". Also is "despite the input of me," or "despite the input of I" correct? "despite the input of me" is. Adding "someone and" does not have the magical property of changing the next word to be 'I' in every case.

Disclaimer, this post is only made to point out grammatical errors with "and I". Any other errors in grammar made in the post should be ignored. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

dorkacle wrote: »
    Parachute on his back???:confused:

Yup like base jumping basically there is a video on the site if you want to see more. Click for the short 8 minute one and skip to about 6 mins

In your example, "my wife and I" is the subject of the sentence, so "I" is correct.

In my original sentence, the "input" to which I referred came from Rovi and from me. "Rovi" and "me" were the objects of the sentence, so "me" was correct.

blackwhite wrote: »
    If you copy and paste into MS Word it'll highlight it for you.....

If you rely on MS Word for grammar tips, I despair for your education.

abbir wrote: »
    If in doubt, remove the "my wife and" and just leave the "I" or "me". Does the sentence still read correctly? i.e. "I went to the cinema". Also is "despite the input of me," or "despite the input of I" correct? "despite the input of me" is...

Abbir has hit the nail on the head here. However, I would like to add one small caveat.

While "despite the input of me" is indubitably more correct than "despite the input of I", it is not actually perfect.

It should really be "despite my input". When I originally wrote the sentence, I had this in mind, but then it would have left me with the dilemma of what to do with Rovi's input. I didn't want to refuse to credit it. So I was trying to figure it out.

Should it have been
    a) "despite Rovi's and my input"
    b) "despite Rovi and my input" or even
    c) "despite Rovi and me's input" (OK, I'm taking the pi55 now)?

I eventually decided to go with "the input of Rovi and me".

In hindsight, the best option to go for, overall, would have been "despite Rovi's input and mine".

When I asked the other poster to enlighten us as to where the grammatical error was, I thought that's what s/he was going to say.

Ok, me stand corrected. Me sorry. Won't happen again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Yer wan behind the counter looks like she is having a good laugh.

and%20a%20diet%20coke%20for%20my%20legs%20please.jpg

Kat1170 wrote: »
    Yer wan behind the counter looks like she is having a good laugh.

Looks like she's crying to me. With good reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Eathrin wrote: »
    bro.png

A bit of help please?

can I post a video here

someone one neogaf sent it to me

cannot stop laughing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

racso1975 wrote: »
    friday-dma-30.jpg

Not sure I want to know, but any ideas?

• Advertisement