Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cool Vids&Pics&Links Discussion Thread

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

quickbeam wrote: »
    Okay, I'm really curious and wondering what picture the above conversation refers to as it sounds interesting, but I presume they were copied from the original thread as the proceeding post on this thread was only about the squirrel burying his nut in the dog's coat.

a llnk should have been included to reference that :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

OK, this one annoys me, and the constant reposts of it annoy me, no offense to Bluesteel7.

First of all I get irritated by the actions of David Thorne, and then I get irritated by the lack of action by the 'victim'. If that was me I would have bought a shovel a long time ago.

Sorry, bad morning, and then I saw that post again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

OK, this one annoys me, and the constant reposts of it annoy me, no offense to Bluesteel7.

First of all I get irritated by the actions of David Thorne, and then I get irritated by the lack of action by the 'victim'. If that was me I would have bought a shovel a long time ago.

Sorry, bad morning, and then I saw that post again.

It's come up as a repost several times in the last few weeks. Report as repost and move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

David Gould (aka Thorne) has been a internet satirist/humourist and weblogger for years and while Simon Dempsey is a real person he once used to work with, I think a lot of these so called "complaints" are just from the brainpan of Mr Gould (who appears to be a bit of an asshóle in general if you check out his website)

Plazaman wrote: »
    David Gould (aka Thorne) has been a internet satirist/humourist and weblogger for years and while Simon Dempsey is a real person he once used to work with, I think a lot of these so called "complaints" are just from the brainpan of Mr Gould (who appears to be a bit of an asshóle in general if you check out his website)

Thank you Plazaman - this does quite a lot to ease my pain.

Much appreciated.

Plazaman wrote: »

Missing Missy is a piece of genius however.

x-ray-your-brain-please.jpg

I think whoever took this screenshot in the first place didn't understand. You can see a Walrus with a Watermelon and a Yak with a Yo-Yo, so what's with the X-ray?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

An awful lot of unfunny stuff posted in YLYL these days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

I would like to report someone as having 2 accounts. --Kaiser-- is clearly Cpt'n midnights alt account. No one posts that many pics at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Why are the "that's the joke" and "buzz killington" pictures allowed to be reposted over and over again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

Quazzie wrote: »
    Why are the "that's the joke" and "buzz killington" pictures allowed to be reposted over and over again?

Because sometimes they are necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭macplato

Could someone tell me what this one is all about, pretty please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

macplato wrote: »

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/thats-the-joke
    About

“That’s the Joke” is a catchphrase uttered by the fictional character Rainier Wolfcastle in a stand-up comedy scene from a 1995 episode of The Simpsons. Online, the quote is used to condescendingly explain the punchline of a joke, or as the deadpan punchline to an otherwise-unfunny remark. It can be also iterated in filename extension format, such as “thatsthejoke.jpg.”
    Origin

The quote first appeared in an episode of The Simpsons “A Star is Burns”[3] which aired on March 5th, 1995. In the scene, an excerpt clip is shown from character Rainier Wolfcastle’s (voiced by Harry Shearer) new stand-up comedy movie. After missing the punchline, Wolfcastle plainly says “that’s the joke.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

macplato wrote: »

You are someone who doesn't have an encyclopedic knowledge of The Simpsons?!

Everybody! Ostracise him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Quazzie wrote: »

Because in both cases they're used in response to someone else complaining or being pedantic about another pic. As such, there's a good reason behind them, rather than simply being reposts.

Repost pics though (Like the Toy Story "Reposts, Reposts Everywhere"), that's just complaining for the sake of it and won't be allowed.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

I actually don't get it :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

I actually don't get it :confused:

I think the joke is that the car looks slightly like a vibrator/dildo.....

Oh...ok, yeah not funny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

IP SOUNDS LIKE I PEE LOLOLOLL #im14andThisIsFunny

It doesn't work as a pun at all outside of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

Julez wrote: »

It makes it look like he's getting Valentines Cards, but he's actually going to other people's mailboxes and taking their Valentines cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Julez

Penn wrote: »
    It makes it look like he's getting Valentines Cards, but he's actually going to other people's mailboxes and taking their Valentines cards.

Ah OK, didn't realise he was going to a different mailbox.

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Council's having a laugh here! :eek:

In fairness, yes and no. The Council obviously can't build something that doesn't comply with Building Regulations, and there are regulations for what slope, width, distance etc that the ramp can be. Judging by the existing slope of the garden from the picture, it wouldn't meet regulations if they just went straight up.

If it's the Council putting it in, they'll want to meet regulations because if an accident happened while pushing the wheelchair up a ramp that doesn't meet regulations, they'd be liable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Penn wrote: »
    In fairness, yes and no. The Council obviously can't build something that doesn't comply with Building Regulations, and there are regulations for what slope, width, distance etc that the ramp can be. Judging by the existing slope of the garden from the picture, it wouldn't meet regulations if they just went straight up.

If it's the Council putting it in, they'll want to meet regulations because if an accident happened while pushing the wheelchair up a ramp that doesn't meet regulations, they'd be liable.
    I'd have thought it'd be easier to find her a place without three flights of steps. That house is nearly useless now for future inhabitants. Plus it must have cost a pretty penny to do the work in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I'd have thought it'd be easier to find her a place without three flights of steps. That house is nearly useless now for future inhabitants. Plus it must have cost a pretty penny to do the work in the first place.
    ~£40,000 estimate The Guardian.
    West Dunbartonshire council have not yet calculated the cost of the ramp at the home in Clydebank, near Glasgow, but local builders estimate the cost at £40,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

~£40,000 estimate The Guardian.
    So easy spending other peoples money, eh?

its so fcukin irritating when a mod edits your "repost" when there are tons off reposts on the thread , and some times when the repost was only 5 pages back !!!! which i havnt seen my "repost" for at least 10 or 15 pages , and i look in the funny gifs section every time there is a post:mad: so fcukin annoying

thats why i meant mods should have separate accounts, their opinion is final and thats that, regardless if someone is following the rules :rolleyes: and im not just talking about the gif forum!!!!!

A V A wrote: »
    its so fcukin irritating when a mod edits your "repost" when there are tons off reposts on the thread , and some times when the repost was only 5 pages back !!!! which i havnt seen my "repost" for at least 10 or 15 pages , and i look in the funny gifs section every time there is a post:mad: so fcukin annoying

thats why i meant mods should have separate accounts, their opinion is final and thats that, regardless if someone is following the rules :rolleyes: and im not just talking about the gif forum!!!!!
    It's well known that mods don't and can't read every post in a forum. They go on reported posts most of the time. Did you report any of the reposts you seen?.

Sorry mods if that's overstepping a line.

ken wrote: »
    It's well known that mods don't and can't read every post in a forum. They go on reported posts most of the time. Did you report any of the reposts you seen?.

Sorry mods if that's overstepping a line.

yes thats the right thing to do , report , but im talking about them replying to report notices on threads, its seems me , its the "well i haven't seen it so im not doing anything" attitude ,when posts like my self that havnt been posted in 20 + pages are edited for reposts? when posts are left up that have been posted in within the last 10 or so pages , i took my time with this one and actually checked it before i said anything , and it seems to me that it is true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

A V A wrote: »
    its so fcukin irritating when a mod edits your "repost" when there are tons off reposts on the thread , and some times when the repost was only 5 pages back !!!! which i havnt seen my "repost" for at least 10 or 15 pages

Why do you twice write repost in quotes as if to imply that they're not reposts but then say that you've seen them 10 or 15 pages back. Surely a repost is a repost whenever it is posted.

Back when we used to edit out every repost, people complained that most of the reports weren't reposts, or hadn't been posted in so long that most people wouldn't have seen it. If anyone reported a repost, we edited it out. However, that meant some people who reported reposts might have seen it elsewhere on the internet, but not in YLYL etc before.

So based on that feedback we implemented a new system where we only edit out reposts if they've been reported by at least 3 different posters, if they were a pic that is constantly being posted (batcat, shadow on girl's leg looks like penis etc), if they were posted very recently, or if the post hasn't already gotten a lot of thanks (which would imply a lot of people hadn't seen it before).

Do we still miss some? Probably. But I think the new system is much better than the old. We're on YLYL5. It's crazy to edit a repost just because the same pic was once posted in YLYL2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Dolbert wrote: »
    The image file name is "Product positioning", so I guess it's because the brightly coloured chemicals are next to the brightly coloured drinks, and could be confused.

I never knew Jeyes Fluid killed bird flu. Can probably kill birds too.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89046473&postcount=7837

^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Louis CK never actually said this, though it might be based on his Of Course, but Maybe bit. AFAIK, it's an old Jimmy Carr joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Pretty sure I've seen the video. Not worded exactly like that but he does say it.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

It's a spin on his Of Course, But Maybe bit, but he never actually said that.

Jimmy Carr has the original joke

Think that Doug Stanhope has a version of it too

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89048613&postcount=7839

The asian lady half way down - that it one of the finest butt's I've seen in a long time. Congrats to her, I hope she won.

Why do you twice write repost in quotes as if to imply that they're not reposts but then say that you've seen them 10 or 15 pages back. Surely a repost is a repost whenever it is posted.

:rolleyes: ye a repost is a repost , sorry i should have made it more clear , im talking about a most recent repost, within pages of a post

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Anyone clarify the Paul "pwned" Williams one?

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭red_0007

glynf wrote: »

Watch the clip in full here
    Taken from the film Men In Hope (Muži v naději).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

red_0007 wrote: »
    Watch the clip in full here
    Taken from the film Men In Hope (Muži v naději).

Good Jaysus!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89067220&postcount=7870

I don't get it but it has a good few thanks so where's the funny?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭macplato

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89067220&postcount=7870

I don't get it but it has a good few thanks so where's the funny?

His bum says "hello" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

294785.jpg

What am I missing here?

• Advertisement

^^^^ Relevant username :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

294785.jpg

What am I missing here?

Blind person missing the box with the X ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

By7p0P6.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

You want stupid? How's this for stupid?

...{Jimmy Kimmel 'Lie Witness News'}...

So they found about half a dozen thickos who pretended that they knew all about how FDR died that day...

How many of the people they asked said "You're fcuking kidding, aren't you? FDR died in 1945!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Any explanation for those of us that didn't watch Only Fools and Horses ?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=89078300

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement