Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cool Vids&Pics&Links Discussion Thread

Comments

is that amount of need for attention not considered some sort of mental ilness (regarding hole in face guy)?
    I can't ever imagine him working as a salesman! but I can imagine that in a few years time he'll regret it while looking for a plastic surgeon who can "fill pot holes"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

French Tank the Americans wanted

Who is supposed to appear worse here?

I read it that the Americans are too stupid to convert mm to inches, and ditched something that they seemingly wanted because they were so stupid. But the strip seems to imply the French are the daft ones.. :confused:

EDIT - maybe ignore me, I was out for a friend going home after easter, and had a few too many....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

Allyall wrote: »
    Who is supposed to appear worse here?

I read it that the Americans are too stupid to convert mm to inches, and ditched something that they seemingly wanted because they were so stupid. But the strip seems to imply the French are the daft ones.. :confused:

EDIT - maybe ignore me, I was out for a friend going home after easter, and had a few too many....
    I'm still confused? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

^^

America got gifted the plans of a tank they wanted to build, but as it was in metric and not imperial they passed rather than convert the measurements. That's how it seemed to me.

Paddy Cow wrote: »
    I'm still confused? :confused:

Believe it or not, I have no idea what way I was looking at that the other night. :o

I read over it, and it makes no sense to me. A bit of green snuck in with the drinks..

Believe it or not, I have no idea what way I was looking at that the other night. :o

I read over it, and it makes no sense to me. A bit of green snuck in with the drinks..
    Neither side was willing to do the conversion, there have been several "incidents" caused by incorrect conversions or no conversion at all.

Like on "The Apprentice" when a flag that should have been 6' x 4' ended up 60cm x 40cm. :D

^^

America got gifted the plans of a tank they wanted to build, but as it was in metric and not imperial they passed rather than convert the measurements. That's how it seemed to me.
    Really? I thought that was it but couldn't believe it and was looking for something more subtle that went over my head.

What a bunch of dipsh!ts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭actuallylike

Really? I thought that was it but couldn't believe it and was looking for something more subtle that went over my head.

It's not really as easy as simply converting measurements. All their tools and machinery to be used to create the tanks were in imperial also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

not really, they ended up producing one of the best tanks of the war anyway and the French were only noted for having useless **** tanks so no real loss to the US.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Gokei

whats the story with the election poster?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

http://articles.latimes.com/1999/oct/01/news/mn-17288

NASA lost its $125-million Mars Climate Orbiter because spacecraft engineers failed to convert from English to metric measurements when exchanging vital data before the craft was launched, space agency officials said Thursday.

A navigation team at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory used the metric system of millimeters and meters in its calculations, while Lockheed Martin Astronautics in Denver, which designed and built the spacecraft, provided crucial acceleration data in the English system of inches, feet and pounds.

As a result, JPL engineers mistook acceleration readings measured in English units of pound-seconds for a metric measure of force called newton-seconds.

In a sense, the spacecraft was lost in translation.

Apparently the craft was doing about 17,000 mph when it hit the planet it thought was still a few thousands miles away.
    "That is so dumb," said John Logsdon, director of George Washington University's space policy institute. "There seems to have emerged over the past couple of years a systematic problem in the space community of insufficient attention to detail."

LOL, trying to blame "English" units even thought the US uses imperial and the UK doesn't by default. Even US imperial differs from UK Imperial for some measures.

Gokei wrote: »
    whats the story with the election erection poster?
    fyp! ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It is not just an American issue. The metric system has been taught here for 30 years or so yet I still find people my age who cannot convert from miles to kilometres or stones to kilogrammes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

fyp! ;)

I still don't get it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Neither side was willing to do the conversion, there have been several "incidents" caused by incorrect conversions or no conversion at all.

Like on "The Apprentice" when a flag that should have been 6' x 4' ended up 60cm x 40cm. :D
    5k6wbn.jpg

Not an imperial/metric conversion issue, but had to be posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

"I don't think the problem was that the band was off tonight. I think the problem was that we had a stonehenge monument that was in danger of being trampled by a dwarf."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

That has to get post of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

[video of oriental kid with BB gun]

darwin award?

Is he still alive?

Yes?

Then he's ineligible for a Darwin Award.*

*: Unless he somehow managed to give himself a vasectomy while he was at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

GBX wrote: »

Peter Jackson has made 3 3hour films from around 200 pages of a book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

GBX wrote: »

The Hobbit book was about half as long as one of the three Lord of the Rings books. Peter Jackson has stretched this book into three films as long as the whole LotR trilogy (by adding in a lot of short stories and appendices from Tolkien's other writings and expanding on them).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Penn wrote: »
    The Hobbit book was about half as long as one of the three Lord of the Rings books. Peter Jackson has stretched this book into three films as long as the whole LotR trilogy (by adding in a lot of short stories and appendices from Tolkien's other writings and expanding on them).

Ah right cheers ... havent read the books so wasnt sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭macplato

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Steven Gerrard slipped against Chelsea at the weekend allowing Chelsea to score and subsequently win the match. He's the one in red in the middle their all pointing at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭macplato

And here's that slip...

I was actually gonna ask for a youtube link, and here it is :D Thanks guys!

I thought it was that the guys in blue thought the guy in red was amazing or something.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Penn wrote: »
    Peter Jackson has stretched this book into three films as long as the whole LotR trilogy (by adding in a lot of short stories and appendices from Tolkien's other writings and expanding on them).
    They only had rights to The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Which is why they only name two wizards, and didn't use the Silmarilion / Unfinished Tales or the other stuff.

The result is like Bilbo said in LOTR “I feel thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread.”

• Advertisement

They only had rights to The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit. Which is why they only name two wizards, and didn't use the Silmarilion / Unfinished Tales or the other stuff.

there's at least 4 named

Gandalf
    Radagast
    Sauramon
    The Necromancer / Sauron

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

I thought that a lot of the Gandalf side-quest stuff was lifted from the Silmarilion or other Tolkien writings. Although now I think about it, it might have been taken from the LOTR Appendices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I thought that a lot of the Gandalf side-quest stuff was lifted from the Silmarilion or other Tolkien writings. Although now I think about it, it might have been taken from the LOTR Appendices.

Everything in the first hobbit was made-up by Jackson or stuff that he left out of LOTR. Haven't seen Smaug yet so I dunno about but I'd guess it's the same.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Any one know what that breaking bad one is about?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

breaking-bad-venezias-pizza-albuquerque.gif

Walter throws a temper tantrum when Skyler makes him leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

They also thought it'd take ages to try and get the pizza to land on the roof, including cleaning up after every failed attempt, but they actually did it perfectly first time

2-girls-1-convertible.jpg

i think the important question here is how long have they been making convertible cameros :eek: want want want

TheBody wrote: »
    North Korea Search for Flight

Is that a real picture? If so, what is that nutball at?

Is that a real picture? If so, what is that nutball at?
    I think it's real, maybe he's trying to emulate King Cnut but in his case the alternative letter order is more appropriate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Youzername

Why am I not getting this Justin Timberlake and 'tomorrow its may' thing??

Seeing it everywhere lol! (I know its the first of may??)

Youzername wrote: »
    Why am I not getting this Justin Timberlake and 'tomorrow its may' thing??

Seeing it everywhere lol! (I know its the first of may??)

In some N Sync song he sings the words 'it's gonna be me' but he pronounces the word me as may.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtbMr-hElDY anyone know if theres any back story to this if its real and if so did he die?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

I thought it was that the guys in blue thought the guy in red was amazing or something.

Wild guess here, you're not a big football fan are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

ArtyM wrote: »
    Wild guess here, you're not a big football are you?

Lol. I hope he's not a big football!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Lol. I hope he's not a big football!

Edited, fixed, and never to be mentioned again.
    :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Ciderswigger

ArtyM wrote: »
    Edited, fixed, and never to TO mentioned again.
    :pac:

Ha, I think your brain is faster than your typing! :D

:eek:
    Bbbbyaaaak.. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭Kenjataimu

Why cant people add the title or description of the pics they repost from reddit.

Sometimes they don't make sense without context.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Some people just want to watch the world burn.

Or, they don't care.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement