Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cool Vids&Pics&Links Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I always remember being taught (correctly or incorrectly) that the continent with Australia in it, was called "Australasia"..

But because of this thread, I now know that:
    Australasia, a region of Oceania, comprises Australia, New Zealand, the island of New Guinea, and neighbouring islands in the Pacific Ocean. Charles de Brosses coined the term in Histoire des navigations aux terres australes.

I have no idea what the "Continent of Australia" is, and would be more inclined to go with "The continent of Oceania" (Even though that didn't exist in my Schoolbooks.)

I was taught 5 Continents.. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Allyall wrote: »
    I have no idea what the "Continent of Australia" is, and would be more inclined to go with "The continent of Oceania" (Even though that didn't exist in my Schoolbooks.)
    the arguement I believe, is the as a landmass in itself it's big enough to be a continent rather than simply an island
    I was taught 5 Continents.. :confused:
    7 surely... 6 if you want to lump america together

Europe
    Asia
    Africa
    Antartica
    N America
    S America
    Oceaia

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92551160&postcount=3620

It's hard to tell if someone taking the piss or not, but still funny. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92551160&postcount=3620

It's hard to tell if someone taking the piss or not, but still funny. ;)

Hoax by a Belgian Fire Dept. apparently. But yes, still funny :)

http://www.statter911.com/2014/05/03/remember-hose-railroad-track-picture-now-rest-story/

7 surely... 6 if you want to lump america together

Europe
    Asia
    Africa
    Antartica
    N America
    S America
    Oceaia

Yep, but in School we were only taught 5..

Europe
    Asia
    Africa
    America
    Australasia

We weren't taught Antartica was a Continent, nor the name Oceania. America was one, and was sometimes referred to as "The Americas"..

I remember hearing 7 for the first time and wondering where they sprang from..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Yep, but in School we were only taught 5..

Europe
    Asia
    Africa
    America
    Australasia

We weren't taught Antartica was a Continent, nor the name Oceania. America was one, and was sometimes referred to as "The Americas"..

I remember hearing 7 for the first time and wondering where they sprang from..

I was taught the same, but with Oceania instead of Australasia...

Anyway, mystery solved - we're ALL right.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent#Number_of_continents

New Home wrote: »
    I was taught the same, but with Oceania instead of Australasia...

Anyway, mystery solved - we're ALL right.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continent#Number_of_continents

Seems you and I were taught the UN model..
    The UN uses a 5 continent model where they separate Europe from Asia, and ignore Antarctica for not having a permanent population. The 5 continents would be: America, Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia/Oceania/Australasia.[27]

*Means nothing, but beams with pride.. :D:D*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Until I see an updated Olympics flag, it's 5 continents for me

*insert fingers in ears*
    Lalalalala..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Until I see an updated Olympics flag, it's 5 continents for me

*insert fingers in ears*
    Lalalalala..

There are at least two people who agree with you :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Olympic_symbols&action=edit&section=3

Oh, and the good people of Wikipedia...

• Advertisement

?

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

It's Joan Burton's face on Marie Antoinette a lá "Let them eat cake".
    She made a comment about people protesting about Irish Water having high quality phones/tablets/video cameras yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭3102derek

anybody know what game this is?

[url]fWXkmi8.gif[/url]

3102derek wrote: »
    anybody know what game this is?

Trackmania 2

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92558554&postcount=3634
    Drones would be a more technically correct term! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Aston martin post in YLYL, what am I missing?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I report reposts.

I see dead posts

GAAman wrote: »
    Aston martin post in YLYL, what am I missing?
    He obvously hoped to inherit the car, but just got a load of old parts!

Unless the neighbour died in a car accident and all that was left was the car jack*... If that's the case, I fail to see the funny side of it.

*could be a foot pump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

New Home wrote: »
    Unless the neighbour died in a car accident and all that was left was the car jack*... If that's the case, I fail to see the funny side of it. *could be a foot pump

Yes, it is an original Aston Martin foot pump.

I was looking up Aston Martins on Gumtree today; there weren't any . . .

But why would a guy be selling a neighbour's belongings? Why would he explain why he was selling it? Why bother selling it - it's ancient.

He spelled "away" incorrectly, too.

He also seemed to be pining for the now missing Aston Martin.

All in all, passing away is the last thing one needs to do in ones life, and making a joke about dying was not my intention - I just thought it was kinda funny to be selling a foot pump for 10 quid with an explanation that contained too much information. . . that's all.

But if you did want to make a joke about dying, maybe the medics left it there after trying artificial resuscitation on the guy.

EDIT

Here's the link to the pic

As a side-note: I think "way" was supposed to be "wind." Aston Martins go like the wind, and that's what the foot pump is for, so it stands to reason. (I am an edittor by trade.)

Yes, it is an original Aston Martin foot pump.

I was looking up Aston Martins on Gumtree today; there weren't any . . .

But why would a guy be selling a neighbour's belongings? Why would he explain why he was selling it? Why bother selling it - it's ancient.

He spelled "away" incorrectly, too.

He also seemed to be pining for the now missing Aston Martin.

All in all, passing away is the last thing one needs to do in ones life, and making a joke about dying was not my intention - I just thought it was kinda funny to be selling a foot pump for 10 quid with an explanation that contained too much information. . . that's all.

But if you did want to make a joke about dying, maybe the medics left it there after trying artificial resuscitation on the guy.

EDIT

Here's the link to the pic

As a side-note: I think "way" was supposed to be "wind." Aston Martins go like the wind, and that's what the foot pump is for, so it stands to reason. (I am an edittor* by trade.)

Thanks Agent Weebley, that makes sense now. :)

Hey, maybe that's all that's left of Ironman after he pissed Chuck Norris off...

*Ooops... biggrin.pngwink.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

Thanks, New Home,

I slipped in that last one as a final joke. I'm not an editor - I'm a writer.

The last time I checked, Ironman is a good friend of Time-X, but Chuck Norris was the best friend of Bruce Lee . . . Glad to see you look up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

What's with all the posts about bears??

Well, someone posted one, we got inspired, and the rest is history :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Ballyv24 wrote: »
    73XQ5iV.png

Because Climbing a mountain is not actually an achievment ,it is irresponsible (if you have any dependents) pointless and expensive.

Put that energy and money into something that actually benefits something other than your ego.

Because Climbing a mountain is not actually an achievment ,it is irresponsible (if you have any dependents) pointless and expensive.

Put that energy and money into something that actually benefits something other than your ego.

What a strange thing to have issue with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

http://sincemylastcigarette.com/

Along the lines of giving up cigs I suppose? because smoking in the first place is great and giving them up is an achievment? :rolleyes:

Speak for yourself.

2245E91F6C6440AB924DF548833D4BCC-0000358552-0003501449-00604L-C46D5E578E3746FD8C16B784928448E9.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Climbing a mountain, especially Everest, is definitely an achievement! How is that even a question? There's a reason not everyone does it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

allym wrote: »
    There's a reason not everyone does it.

Sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

You think it's not an achievement????

Have a look at Irish Seven Summits on facebook, or google them. Then tell me they have achieved nothing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What a strange thing to have issue with
    http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/04/mortality-on-mount-everest/360927/?single_page=true
    Being a Sherpa on Everest these days is far more dangerous than, say, being a soldier in Iraq from 2003 to 2007.
    Western expedition leaders are acutely aware of this sobering reality, and many have established funds for the families of fallen Sherpas. It's difficult, though, to assuage the guilt of leaving the mountain with fewer people than you brought there. Melissa Arnot, the Eddie Bauer-sponsored American mountaineer who has summitted Everest five times, had a Sherpa die on an expedition of hers in 2010. Reflecting on this in 2013, she told Schaffer: “My passion created an industry that fosters people dying. It supports humans as disposable, as usable, and that is the hardest thing to come to terms with.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

In response to a protest by black and white people against the whites only policy of the pool at the Monson Motor Lodge in Florida, hotel owner James Brock dumps acid in to the water. The civil rights act was passed the next day.
    recyclops wrote: »
    interesting article regarding pictures above and really shows how history can be written in whatever way people see fit

http://www.wyrmis.com/blots/2013/08/blot42351-monson-monsters.html

That article is just pointing out that the picture is exactly what Scruffy said it was. Just because something is misrepresented in one place, doesn't mean that it's always represented.

P.S. I agree with the point it's trying to make, just doesn't work in this context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

On that subject, the guy writing the piece seems to take umbrage at them being called kids on tumblr, as in tumblr op called them kids to make it more shocking.

First thing that came into my head was it is a widespread Americanism to call younger people kids, for example tumblr poster could have been 40, people in the pool 16-20 could easily refer to them as kids alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Al Capwned wrote: »
    You think it's not an achievement????

Have a look at Irish Seven Summits on facebook, or google them. Then tell me they have achieved nothing.

They have achieved nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I think it fits the definition extremely well - a thing done successfully with effort, skill or courage.

To be honest, I agree to an extent. I climbed Kilimanjaro a few years back and, during the final climb, I realised the pointlessness of actually making it to the summit. It seemed like a foolish thing to aspire to especially if your putting your life at risk (Kili isn't dangerous at all though). What I will never forget is the trip itself. Being able to say,"I made it to the top", is worthless but the journey is invaluable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92638783&postcount=3771

Not sure what the joke is? I think they're cool!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-29640241
    At least 28 people have died on a key Nepali hiking route, officials say, after blizzards struck at the height of the Himalayan climbing season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

sentient_6 wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92638783&postcount=3771

Not sure what the joke is? I think they're cool!

Posts like this in YLYL are either laziness or thanks-whoring.

Personally I think it's mainly the second one, with people ignoring the thread title/rules in favour of posting where they know it'll get the most views.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I saw the stamps post and immediately thought of the You Want You Lose. I went to buy the stamps, robbing b@stards of An Post want to charge shipping, for f**king stamps. I did chuckle at the fact that they were looking for a post code though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Clareman wrote: »
    I saw the stamps post and immediately thought of the You Want You Lose. I went to buy the stamps, robbing b@stards of An Post want to charge shipping, for f**king stamps. I did chuckle at the fact that they were looking for a post code though.

Sorry if I sound like a thicko...But can you not buy them in a post office? :o

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Sorry if I sound like a thicko...But can you not buy them in a post office? :o

I'd imagine that a local post office would need to order in a special set like that rather than just have them on stock. I haven't been into a post office in years.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

KpSCNqd.jpg

Joey.........Barton?? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

That's the wrong cup on UKball's mantel...

Or,

Grr! That silly comic is slightly inaccurate, therefore the whole thing is stupid!

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

glynf wrote: »

g9mkDSi.gif

I bet she would have made it

Synode wrote: »
    I bet she would have made it
    Follow her speed forward with your finger.. I think she would too. :)

EDIT:
    Nope. She would have had to slow/brake for the family in front of her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

She could have swerved slightly to the right to avoid the family

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭eamonnq

http://i.imgur.com/8INRREI.jpg

Was sure this was a wind-up but decided to give it a go and it is for real !!

EENA ANNA WANNA RANA = I Wanna spend BSc

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement