Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cool Vids&Pics&Links Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Oilrigsmap.jpg

That is, allegedly, a map of oil platforms in the North Sea. Many of the lights could be explained by the upper - more northern rigs - it prompts the question why not the ones closer/between to the Wash and Amsterdam?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

This is a copy of a post that I posted in the actual thread itself.

EDIT: I see that the post I refer to above has actually been moved into this thread by a mod, so I no longer need to leave the same details here.

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    Oilrigsmap.jpg

That is, allegedly, a map of oil platforms in the North Sea. Many of the lights could be explained by the upper - more northern rigs - it prompts the question why not the ones closer/between to the Wash and Amsterdam?

If that map is accurate, it would make you wonder why Aberdeen is the capital of the UK's oil industry. Norwich would seem to make more sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

ch750536 wrote: »
    ^ I call that being shopped. No way are there that many roads in the north sea.

I just GIS'ed for "Belgium from space at night" and picked one, doing the same search again shows a load of pics from different sources which also have those lights in the sea.

If that map is accurate, it would make you wonder why Aberdeen is the capital of the UK's oil industry. Norwich would seem to make more sense!

Aha! The lower ones are mostly gas platforms which I guess are set up not to flare off gas!

sns_map.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Turns out, I don't find long comics posted in YLYL funny. 3 panels, 4 at the most. It's a bad sign if you need a tl;dr for your gag.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The last ones that were posted there -the drunken bakers and the george bestial ones- are absolutely abysmal, IMO. I know that humour is subjective, but I really wonder about people, sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

What am I missing here...from YLYL

AXymBoo.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Looks like a dong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,108 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

IMG

It looks slightly like a cock and balls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Looks like a dong.

Cheers. I'm all :p now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭wilser

What's the story with the usb and the shovel on ylyl?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

wilser wrote: »
    What's the story with the usb and the shovel on ylyl?

It's a ridiculous place to store a USB just.

irish_goat wrote: »
    It's a ridiculous place to store a USB just.

Thought I was missing something deep

wilser wrote: »
    Thought I was missing something deep

A whole new meaning to Christy Moore's song!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The general rule of thumb is think penis first on any pics where you don't see the funny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

what did Kanye do to the kid in the wheelchair?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

During one of his concerts, Kanye told everybody to stand up, and got annoyed at one of his fans -a wheelchair user- who wouldn't oblige him... :rolleyes:

TheBody wrote: »
    A purebread dog!

No, that dog is in-bread :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gugsy

Conversely, Belgium is lit up like a Christmas tree at night in a way that would horrify the average penny pinching dad.

GJ2t2sv.jpg

Rumour has it that at one time the minister responsible for street lighting had a brother who happened to install street lighting and somehow the brother miraculously ended up with a contract to light every stretch of motorway in Belgium. I've driven through Belgium at night many times and can confirm that the motorways are fully illuminated. It makes Belgium very easy to pick out from space.

(The north of Italy is also well lit up as are certain areas of England, but those are densely populated areas. All of Belgium is lit up, and it has significantlly less population density.)

Where your looking at is Belgium and Holland the two most densely populated countries in Europe. Between them they have a population of 28 mill in an area the size of Ireland excluding the north. The reason for street light in most of the motorways is because there is very little countryside and practically leaving one city straight into another. Good pic tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

I live here in Holland, it's nowhere near as illuminated as Belgium and it's definitely just Belgium standing out there. The Belgian street light overkill is a matter of public record.

When you cross the border from the Netherlands into Belgium it's suddenly street lights every couple of yards on the motorway and terrible, terrible roads.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92790871&postcount=2504

Remind me never to fly in a plane that appears to be held together with duct tape!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Duct tape you say..... :D

This guy's plane got torn apart by a bear in Alaska while he was fishing - he left a bait box in the back and bears got the scent of it. He patched it with duct tape and flew it out of there and home....

MqHzbQIl.jpg

xx2xXjBl.jpg

YIWkGJBl.jpg

Late entry to the 2014 Darwin Awards

Darwin awards?? MacGyver awards more like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Late entry to the 2014 Darwin Awards

Duct tape is pretty strong.

The structural integrity, in the form of that tubular steel framework, is intact. The duct tape served more of a role of bringing back an aerodynamic form to the plane, and stopping the torn aluminium skin from upsetting the flyability of the plane.

I would not fly a plane that I put back together with duct tape. I'm surprised that that is unreasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

I would not fly a plane that I put back together with duct tape. I'm surprised that that is unreasonable.

It's not put back together with duct tape. Just maintaining the shape. Ever used duct tape?

I love the duct tape episode of mythbusters.

Heck, the Wrights did it with paper and balsa wood, or something like it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Wasn't he stranded in the middle of nowhere in Alaska? Probably not much choice.

Okay I seem to be very wrong in considering this dangerous

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Posted a half hour ago.
    b46678cbbcbadd23ecb25c52a12bed18.png

I don't get it? Budweiser not supposed to promote beer?

Edit - Never mind. Seems they were a day late in posting that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,965 ✭✭✭blackwhite

MarkR wrote: »
    I don't get it? Budweiser not supposed to promote beer?

Edit - Never mind. Seems they were a day late in posting that.
    seamus wrote: »

The Marathon was yesterday - according to the accompanying text the Budweiser ad was posted today - a day late.

No date stamp in the image to actually prove this though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Why, oh why, would someone dress their child up as Adolf Hitler??

Wilberto wrote: »
    Why, oh why, would someone dress their child up as Adolf Hitler??

They probably thought it was a bit risky dressing him up as Bertie Aherne so played it safe

Dirty Minds...
    ...will only be able to see this.

A: Blatant Photoshop.
    B: Who taught this guy grammar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    The general rule of thumb is think penis first on any pics where you don't see the funny

This ^^^ !! almost always answers your questions here! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Penn, I think you'll find that I came 3rd in the photoshop comp!!! :D

Maybe you'll get better wifi... IN HELL! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Can't stop laughing at the one about Mrs. Piggy and I've no idea why 😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

smash wrote: »
    Penn, I think you'll find that I came 3rd in the photoshop comp!!! :D
    7. Any modifications to the picture are allowed, whether it be photoshop, adding a caption or speech bubbles.

8. The exact pictures don't necessarily have to be used once the picture you do use fits the theme of the thread.

Judge's ruling:

DENIED!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92802369&postcount=2

I don't see any difference from the original picture?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

A: Blatant Photoshop.
    B: Who taught this guy grammar?

C: It's not even that difficult to spot in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Look closer grasshopper.

God, that took me far too long to spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

allym wrote: »
    God, that took me far too long to spot.

lil help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Gosub

:)
    TheBody wrote: »