Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cool Vids&Pics&Links Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Scioch wrote: »
    I dont care who posts what, where they got it or why they posted it. But I dont see any point in lumping posts into on big one instead of them being posted individually. The pic will still be there, I'll still have to scroll to the next one.

You'd know this if you had of read my posts instead of getting worked up over the words reddit and thank whore. People lift pics from those sites and post here for thanks, this is a fact. I dont care but your clearly very sensitive about it.
    I can assure I can think of much better things to get worked up about than some some post on Boards and I'm certainly not very sensitive about it. Why would I be? I haven't posted in the thread. My post was as much a response to the other poster as it was to you, which is why I quoted both of you in my original post. there has however, been an awful lot of whinging previously from other posters about "reposts from reddit" and it's just tiresome. Just look at the tags for the threads.

Also has it occurred to you that maybe the merging of posts is more about general tidying up of the thread than an attempt to prevent thanks whoring?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Adyx wrote: »
    I can assure I can think of much better things to get worked up about than some some post on Boards and I'm certainly not very sensitive about it. Why would I be? I haven't posted in the thread. My post was as much a response to the other poster as it was to you, which is why I quoted both of you in my original post. there has however, been an awful lot of whinging previously from other posters about "reposts from reddit" and it's just tiresome. Just look at the tags for the threads.

Also has it occurred to you that maybe the merging of posts is more about general tidying up of the thread than an attempt to prevent thanks whoring?

Why did you even bother including me then ? And your clearly annoyed by the reddit stuff. But we all know its true, so whats the problem saying it ? I wasnt whinging about anything.

And has it occurred to you that my post was in relation to the discussion that was going on when I posted it ? Which was about stopping thanks whoring.

You seem to have jumped in without fully understanding what we were all talking about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Ok lads, calm down. Its an interesting topic so lets keep on form and curb the "you said, he said, she said" (anddontforgetaboutthestarfishnavigationsystem)

123 LC wrote: »
    Stealing Harry Potter Single Ladies

Stealing from the Photoshop Competition that's on in the same forum surely deserves a ban?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

What's the view of the mods on posters reposting pictures from the photoshop competition in YLYL?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I'm disappointed John Terry hasn't appeared in the photoshop competition yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Stealing from the Photoshop Competition that's on in the same forum surely deserves a ban?

What if the pic is released into the wider web, I see it somewhere else and post it back here?
    I did not even know that we had a PS comp thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Posts moved from YLYL

Please report pics like that in future rather than mentioning it on thread.
    What if the pic is released into the wider web, I see it somewhere else and post it back here?
    I did not even know that we had a PS comp thread

Really? It's done like, every week. We even start new threads with new names and add the date to make it more noticeable. It's stickied at the top of the page. I take time out of my Sunday morning every week to set it up. It's really hard. Last week, I accidentally merged the CVPL Discussion thread with the Photoshop Comp Archive thread, and had to manually select each post and make a new discussion thread. This isn't the same discussion thread that was here a few weeks ago. I deleted it and had to make this new one. It was a lot of work.

Kinda wondering why I bother now...

(But to answer your question, if the poster can show they took it from somewhere other than the Photoshop Comp thread, any action that was taken against them (warning/infraction/ban) will be reversed, but the post will still be deleted.)

Penn wrote: »
    Posts moved from YLYL

Please report pics like that in future rather than mentioning it on thread.

Really? It's done like, every week. We even start new threads with new names and add the date to make it more noticeable. It's stickied at the top of the page. I take time out of my Sunday morning every week to set it up. It's really hard. Last week, I accidentally merged the CVPL Discussion thread with the Photoshop Comp Archive thread, and had to manually select each post and make a new discussion thread. This isn't the same discussion thread that was here a few weeks ago. I deleted it and had to make this new one. It was a lot of work.

Kinda wondering why I bother now...

(But to answer your question, if the poster can show they took it from somewhere other than the Photoshop Comp thread, any action that was taken against them (warning/infraction/ban) will be reversed, but the post will still be deleted.)

What?? We have a discussion thread too??

Joking but I am serious. I have "followed" three or four threads in the forum and do not go into the main forum too often. I guess that I sould actually take a look.

I for one love the photoshop thread penn. I don't contribute because I know nothing about photoshop but some of the biggest laughs in the forum are in there. Thanks for the work you put in!

• Advertisement

Thank you. And remember, even if you don't enter the comp, feel free to suggest pics for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I must confess that I don't always have the time for the fantastic photoshop threads. (I might start making some) That's why I loved seeing the pictures from them in YLYL. Everything funny on the internet, often times the cream of the crop, gets posted to one thread that I check daily. It's brilliant and a credit to all boardsies!

Honestly, I don't understand the distinction between allowing copied content from other websites to be reposted and not reposting quality gems from boards threads. Anyone who read the "Funny side of religion" thread in Atheism & Agnostic will know that some of posts there are stolen from a a few different boards sources. Usually credit is given, but not always. I like to think that giving credit would the nice mannerly thing to do but really I don't regard it as a necessity either. Boards is a bit of craic at the end of the day. I for one would be thrilled if someone chose one of my photoshop entries to be worthy of entry into YLYL. But I understand everyone is different. I just think it's a bit wrong not to include such gems in YLYL,that's all.

Thanks for reading. :)

Jernal wrote: »
    I must confess that I don't always have the time for the fantastic photoshop threads. (I might start making some) That's why I loved seeing the pictures from them in YLYL. Everything funny on the internet, often times the cream of the crop, gets posted to one thread that I check daily. It's brilliant and a credit to all boardsies!

Honestly, I don't understand the distinction between allowing copied content from other websites to be reposted and not reposting quality gems from boards threads. Anyone who read the "Funny side of religion" thread in Atheism & Agnostic will know that some of posts there are stolen from a a few different boards sources. Usually credit is given, but not always. I like to think that giving credit would the nice mannerly thing to do but really I don't regard it as a necessity either. Boards is a bit of craic at the end of the day. I for one would be thrilled if someone chose one of my photoshop entries to be worthy of entry into YLYL. But I understand everyone is different. I just think it's a bit wrong not to include such gems in YLYL,that's all.

Thanks for reading. :)

The general point is that if someone went to the effort of photoshopping a pic for the Comp, they should be the one to get Thanks for it. If they themselves posted it in YLYL too, I personally wouldn't have a problem with it. They made the pic and deserve the credit.

I think it's just a little close to home copying a pic from the photoshop competition (on the same forum no less) where you can clearly see who made it, and posting it in YLYL (which is obviously a much more viewed thread so the picture will most likely get more thanks there). I know your point about pictures from YLYL being posted in the Funny Side of Religion thread in A&A (and have done so myself), but at the same time, the person who posted it in YLYL most likely didn't create the picture themselves. They just found it and posted it. With the Photoshop Competition, you know who made the picture. It's just bad form.

The general point is that if someone went to the effort of photoshopping a pic for the Comp, they should be the one to get Thanks for it. If they themselves posted it in YLYL too, I personally wouldn't have a problem with it. They made the pic and deserve the credit.

I think it's just a little close to home copying a pic from the photoshop competition (on the same forum no less) where you can clearly see who made it, and posting it in YLYL (which is obviously a much more viewed thread so the picture will most likely get more thanks there). I know your point about pictures from YLYL being posted in the Funny Side of Religion thread in A&A (and have done so myself), but at the same time, the person who posted it in YLYL most likely didn't create the picture themselves. They just found it and posted it. With the Photoshop Competition, you know who made the picture. It's just bad form.

Could we perhaps have a rule whereby if a person chooses to post a pic from the photoshop thread they should link to the original post it was posted in? Or a person could simply include the text-only hyperlink to the post in the photoshop thread?

Could we perhaps have a rule whereby if a person chooses to post a pic from the photoshop thread they should link to the original post it was posted in? Or a person could simply include the text-only hyperlink to the post in the photoshop thread?

I would completely disagree with the reposting of photoshop pics in YLYL. I'm subbed to both threads, as are a lot of other posters. It's just reposting for thanks (which is pretty much what happens in YLYL anyway but I don't really frequent 9gag/reddit etc so I don't care :P)

To be honest, it happens so rarely that it's not really worth making a rule about.

Perhaps though there could be something we could do where the top three thanked posts from the Photoshop Comp each week get copied over to YLYL so everyone can see them (ie. an actual reward for coming 1st, 2nd or 3rd). Could also help boost interest in the Photoshop Comp. I'd have to test how this is done because just straight copying them over means they'd be sorted by date so would be put a few pages back, thereby defeating the purpose. I'll look into this.

To be honest, it happens so rarely that it's not really worth making a rule about.

Perhaps though there could be something we could do where the top three thanked posts from the Photoshop Comp each week get copied over to YLYL so everyone can see them (ie. an actual reward for coming 1st, 2nd or 3rd). Could also help boost interest in the Photoshop Comp. I'd have to test how this is done because just straight copying them over means they'd be sorted by date so would be put a few pages back, thereby defeating the purpose. I'll look into this.

How about the top three (or five) from each competition get rewarded with their own entry in a brand new thread entitled something like "Best of Photoshop Competition XX-YY" at the end of the year? A sort of awesome year in review plus the hilarity. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I think you might be able to copy the posts to a new thread (essentially making them new posts) and then merge that thread with YLYL, should make them the most recent post then
    (may not work, has been a while since I had Mod tools to play with)

Fair play for trying to improve things :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

This is a great idea IMO.

Even if you can't copy the actual posts, you could copy the pictures into a new post and then link to the posts in the actual competition thread. I know you'll be the one getting the thanks (:p) but it will also make people aware of the photoshop comp, plus it will be after the weekly competition is over so it's not like you're "stealing" thanks from someone potentially getting the most thanks of the week.

This is a great idea IMO.

Even if you can't copy the actual posts, you could copy the pictures into a new post and then link to the posts in the actual competition thread. I know you'll be the one getting the thanks (:p) but it will also make people aware of the photoshop comp, plus it will be after the weekly competition is over so it's not like you're "stealing" thanks from someone potentially getting the most thanks of the week.

This is looking like the most likely scenario. It might be that each week, I (or whichever mod putting up the Photoshop Comp) simply just posts in YLYL with direct links to the top three from the previous week (rather than posting the pics ourselves and us getting the thanks for them) and also a link to the new Photoshop Comp and Photoshop Suggestion Thread.

• Advertisement

I can understand, when the Competition is live, not wanting to divert thanks but once the results are out it no longer matters. They are just internet thanks after all!

True enough I suppose. Maybe I'm just over-thinking things.

Or maybe this is all part of my secret plot to steal all the thanks.... MWAHAHAHAHA!

True enough I suppose. Maybe I'm just over-thinking things.

Or maybe this is all part of my secret plot to steal all the thanks.... MWAHAHAHAHA!

3r6gqq.jpg

do not go moving this to the YLYL thread lol

If someone does want to copy from the Photoshop thread, then the best they can do is give full credit to whoever made it, with a link directing back to the original thread too.

What's this all about?

224489_4772294992132_450709507_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Double negative, re-read it..

Ahhhh. I know words n stuff.

What's this all about?

Double negatives / Bad English.

Prohibited means 'not allowed', so the sign is essentially saying "Under no circumstances are children not allowed in the gym unsupervised" which means children are only allowed in the gym unsupervised (the complete opposite of the intention of the sign).

Took me a few minutes to get it too.

Double negatives / Bad English.

Prohibited means 'not allowed', so the sign is essentially saying "Under no circumstances are children not allowed in the gym unsupervised" which means children are only allowed in the gym unsupervised (the complete opposite of the intention of the sign).

Took me a few minutes to get it too.

Yeah; they meant "permitted"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I thought the fact that it was on dept of equality headed paper was funny too.
    Dept of equality restricts use because of age:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Also the fact that I don't know many children over 16 :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,037 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Some people just have no perspective.
    Posting this in the 'Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)'.
    FFS it's even less 'world shaking' or distressing than the photos of Katie Taylor someone posted recently.
    So the CEO of a (massively) big corporation died a year ago? How is that even important, sure it wasn't even world-shaking back then.

Strange post indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Gaspode wrote: »
    Some people just have no perspective.
    Posting this in the 'Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)'.
    FFS it's even less 'world shaking' or distressing than the photos of Katie Taylor someone posted recently.
    So the CEO of a (massively) big corporation died a year ago? How is that even important, sure it wasn't even world-shaking back then.

Strange post indeed.

most of what's in there these days is unworld shaking anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Ryder_Cup___Day_Three_Sin_003_copy.jpg

untitle.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Aenaes wrote: »
    Frank Bruno, Jimmy Saville and not sure about the man on the left sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,025 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Aenaes wrote: »
    That's Peter Sutcliffe - The Yorkshire Ripper being introduced to Frank Bruno. Jimmy Saville as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

GastroBoy wrote: »
    possibly a repost...

Rage drinking game

Need larger version!

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Need larger version!

Cant find one, sorry.
    Couldn't you just open in a new tab and zoom in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭p to the e

KKkitty wrote: »
    Frank Bruno, Jimmy Saville and not sure about the man on the left sorry.

My first thought was Geoff Capes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

GastroBoy wrote: »
    Cant find one, sorry.
    Couldn't you just open in a new tab and zoom in?

I printed it at 135% zoom and it's just about serviceable, probably needs to be laminated!

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Gandalph wrote: »
    56184743008655703854034.jpg

Maybe I'm being thick, but don't get this one. Anyone?

Maybe I'm being thick, but don't get this one. Anyone?

Guy on the far right checking out Kate's arse.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

Ah, I see, although he could just as easily be checking Will's "special area"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

what arse, she's wearing a big flappy coat...
    could be checking out those ankles though:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

x3A8s.gif

Anyone be able to tell me what the right name for this is as i can't come across it at all (Doesn't come up rain swing on Google or nothing),

Seen it at a concert during the summer with words coming down it with the act on stage it it looked amazing.

what exactly is in that "save fuel by 20%" gadget? i get it's a dud, but is that just a battery or what

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It seems to be a capacitor which apparently better manages the load on the car battery by temporarily storing charge and releasing it when needed. I couldn't say whether it would be any benefit or not but it's for sale (although out of stock) on Amazon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Bluesteel7 wrote: »

Haha!
    It took me a minute. Then I LOLed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

bluewolf wrote: »
    what exactly is in that "save fuel by 20%" gadget? i get it's a dud, but is that just a battery or what

Its a fused smoothing capacitor.

You'd think that if it was a case of slapping in a smoothing capacitor to get 10% more fuel efficiency in a car, the auto manufacturers would all be doing it!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement