Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Schools in celbridge

Options
  • 23-09-2012 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,

I would like to get some information on best schools in Celbridge, both primary and secondary.

I have a boy at the moment and girl on the way. I would like to put them both through same schools so one of my 'non-negotiables' is that it would need to be mixed schools.

So far I have enrolled my son to the ET school in Clane Road. Is this a good school? I have two friends that have/had their children in ET schools (not Celbridge) and one is very happy but one removed theirs as she felt the education was not progressing as there were too many language issues with pupils.

I am also trying to find a secondary. Have researched the Maynooth Post-Primary but was told that this isex tech' and might not be the best. I am looking at 'Kings College' as well in Palmerstown but know this is fee paying and would like my children to go through non fee paying schools.

For ET and Maynooth I like that they are non dominational - my husband is Irish Catholic, I am protestant, non-irish so we will teach these things at home.

Any help on options and opinions appreciated!

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭kildarecommuter

St Patricks & Primrose Hill on Hazelhatch rd are mixed primary schools also Scoil Mochua Aghards near Aldi

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

OP , the schools in Celbridge are as follows :-

Scoil Mochua ( Aghards ) , mixed primary RC school . My daughter goes there and I have no complaints .

Primrose Hill , Mixed primary Church of Ireland school .

St Patricks , Mixed primary RC school . This is a quite new school on the Hazelhatch rd on the south side of the river

North Kildare ET school , which you seem to know about

There are two single sex primary schools ( one boys , one girls ) , the girls is next to the RC church in the village , the boys is a behind St Patricks Pk

The secondary schools , you have two , one girls ( St Wolstens ) which was quite high in the Sunday Times list of schools , and Salisian College which is for boys. Both of these as the names suggest are RC .

The only school I can offer an opinion on is Aghards , so far I have found this to be a very good school.

There is a new school proposed near the M4 junction which I believe is the Glebe Montessori moving from it's present site in Barnhall, however I have not seen a sod being turned as yet , I believe it's run into objections about floodlights on football pitches ( open to correction )

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It is possible, albeit by no means guaranteed, that by the time a secondary is of concern that the legally non-denominational (although I can tell you its realistically Catholic) VEC secondary in Maynooth may be open to pupils from Celbridge who prefer mixed-sex education. Until the late 1990s there was a considerable number of Celbridge pupils but lack of space meant they stopped it - but its getting a larger new building and a second, co-sited school under the same management that is likely to effectively be the same school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Looking at primary school you are really looking at

Scoil Mochua ( Aghards ) good school have heard no complaint about it

Primrose Hill small school over the bridge dont know enough to comment

St Patricks the newest school and is on the ground of the GAA club, seems to be a good school for the one or two i have spoken to

North Kildare ET school you know about all ready

The Glebe is the school being built up at crodaun. they are meant to be open by the end of the year but don't see this happen but from reading your post you have a little time yet so this may be an option but its a different kind of teaching here.

As for the 2 2nd level school in Celbridge While both were originally Roman catholic schools. St Wolsten is seen as a community school since they moved to the premises on the Clane road, while salesian seems to be moving the same way as they have a non salesian principal for the last 2 years. Most in celbridge that want to go to a mixed 2nd level will go to either KH(but you want non fee paying) or Maynooth Post Primary. There is a new school been built in Maynooth under the VEC. but i imagine you are looking 10 years down the road so they may be newer choices by then as well

There are also plans for a new post primary school to be built on Hazelhatch road for 2016 I would imagine it will be mixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Rubiini

Thank you all for your replies.

Arghads is another option, my husbands' favorite. My no one primary vote still goes to the ET, but I think both of these are good choices.

This area seems to be great for primary education, secondary seems to be more difficult. And yes, we do have ten years to that. It is just that ladies at work insist that I need to get my sons name down to the school I want asap. But I think around here, rather than Dublin, we can wait a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

There are also plans for a new post primary school to be built on Hazelhatch road for 2016 I would imagine it will be mixed.

where have you seen this?

MY understanding that the only school being built there is the permanent structure for the St Patricks school (currently located in prefabs in GAA club)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Noel Dempseys Den

There is already a PP school being built out past Ardclough on the way to Straffan - no idea whether its RC or community.

daheff wrote: »
    where have you seen this?

MY understanding that the only school being built there is the permanent structure for the St Patricks school (currently located in prefabs in GAA club)?

i believe that St Patricks will share the site with a new secondary school.

i believe that St Patricks will share the site with a new secondary school.

yeah i saw the plans recently. both St Patricks (mixed primary school) & new mixed secondary school will share site. the site stretches from GAA grounds around the current Tennis courts out the road towards train station (possibly opens it up for people from Adamstown to have kids go to the secondary school?)

due to be open for 2016/17 school year. Not sure if secondary is starting by only taking 1st years and working them through the years or taking all years on....i'd guess starting with 1st years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

daheff wrote: »
    yeah i saw the plans recently.
    Are they on line ?

Dont forget about Colaiste Chiarain, i swore id never send my children to a single sex school if i ever have any.

Stealthirl wrote: »
    Are they on line ?

Dont forget about Colaiste Chiarain, i swore id never send my children to a single sex school if i ever have any.

probably are...i saw a copy at a friends house...not sure how he came across it.

Advertisement