Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Veterinary graduate entry

Options
  • 23-09-2012 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey guys,
    For the graduate entry path for UCD DN301, on the website it says:

"The four year graduate entry programme is open to applicants who:
    hold an honours degree (NFQ Level 8) in a biological/ biomedical/animal science discipline at the level of a 2.2 Honours or above, a master’s degree or a PhD. (Graduates of any discipline are welcome to apply for entry to the five year MVB programme. Up to five places will be made available in DN300.)"

Is there a definitive list of the degrees accepted anywhere? I have a 2.1 degree in elec eng from UCD (bit of a switch, I know :) ) and a telecomms masters from DCU. They normally qualify as Science degrees but lack the "bio" part. If they are not on the list, what are the options of entry I have? I don´t think they would consider my leaving cert would they? (its from 1999).

Comments

The 301 skips out the first year which is mainly science subjects. Without science there is no way that you would be able to tackle physiology or biochemistry for example so that is why they insist that the degree be in a biological area and your science degree would not qualify. I understand (though this is from a conversation a few years ago) that most of the students that enter as graduates are from the US (paying hefty fees) and have studied biological science there with the particular objective of doing veterinary either in Ireland or the US.

I dont know how they compare degrees and other qualifications for entry. i imagine a lot will depend on your education record and application. I think they would alos look to see why you think veterinary would be for you (ie not a points based entry).

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

You can apply for the 5 year grad entry route.

There are students in my class who have advanced degrees in chemistry, etc, but as they're not bio science, they got the 5 year. Tbh, the 4 yr involves a lot of self study and a lot of important material is not covered in lecture ( or so I understand from chatting to people in that program) so if you don't have a good grounding in basic science stuff, as well as some of the more practical aspects of animal handling/husbandry, you'd struggle in 4 yrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

You're best off contacting John Buckley. http://www.ucd.ie/agandvet/contact.htm He's the veterinary programme officer and always very helpful. He'll tell you the ins and outs of courses that are eligible for the 4 year or 5 year courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Fblawns

Hi there,

Sorry to hijack the thread... Just want to double check that it's ok to go ahead and apply through the CAO by Feb and then sit the GAMSAT in March?

Also I hope it's not rude, but I was wondering if anyone has any information on how grads are funding their fees? Are there loans available or is it a matter of borrowing from family or using savings?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Yep, you can do that.
    As for funding, a couple of my classmates are in talks to try to organise loans from BOI like grad med has but nothing definite so far. Otherwise personal loans and work as much as possible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement