Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help ! may have made mistake with an install

Options
  • 23-09-2012 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what this linux command does,

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jason-scheunemann/ppa

I got it from this youtube video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQKnfVSX0xY

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

According to the launchpad page:

"You can update your system with unsupported packages from this untrusted PPA by adding ppa:jason-scheunemann/ppa to your system's Software Sources."

Instead of installing sopcast which may have some install risks and issues, better to stream the live matches.

Basically, you added the the above PPA to your linux system sources list in order to download the package and receive package updates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

I'm new enough to linux, that line freaked me out after I entered it, I thought I was granting access to my PC to this scheunemann dude as it was adding security keys etc ..

Should I remove it?

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭shayno90

JJJJNR wrote: »
    I'm new enough to linux, that line freaked me out after I entered it, I thought I was granting access to my PC to this scheunemann dude as it was adding security keys etc ..

Should I remove it?

Possibly a risk since its not from an authenticate linux repository but if you wish to watch matches online with sopcast than use it otherwise remove it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Used it yesterday and with my 6 year old Dual core PC running 1 GB ram, onboard gfx, and a 30GB SSD I got almost uninterrupted HD quality with no popups !

Advertisement