Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shocking Experience

Options
  • 23-09-2012 2:33pm

Hello,

I went to see a Tarot reader yesterday and had a really bad experience. The first two cards out were the devil and the tower. Reader explained the association with the remaining cards and I couldn't associated with the information. She reshuffled the cards and started again, but similar story. When I reported no association, she changed the pack, again same story. We cut the session there as it just wasn't making sense. The message I got from the reading was sorrow, mental health issues, depression, great sadness problems with my husband. AND......something that will come to an end. I was quite upset, she said I'm really sorry, please mind yourself, please take care...its weird. I'm don't put a huge emphasis into these things, but it really upset me. Anyone have a bad experience like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Sunnyspot wrote: »
    Hello,

I went to see a Tarot reader yesterday and had a really bad experience. The first two cards out were the devil and the tower. Reader explained the association with the remaining cards and I couldn't associated with the information. She reshuffled the cards and started again, but similar story. When I reported no association, she changed the pack, again same story. We cut the session there as it just wasn't making sense. The message I got from the reading was sorrow, mental health issues, depression, great sadness problems with my husband. AND......something that will come to an end. I was quite upset, she said I'm really sorry, please mind yourself, please take care...its weird. I'm don't put a huge emphasis into these things, but it really upset me. Anyone have a bad experience like this?

I'd say it was more a case of the reader's reaction to the card combinations that was unsettling for you than the actual cards themselves.

From what I know of Tarot, any cards that appear must be interpreted as part of a broader, whole context. As in, you have to consider the other cards that show up around them. Can you remember what other cards came out and, also, whether or not The Devil and The Tower were in a 'past', 'present' or 'future' position in the spread?

Traditionally, both of those cards do have a bit of a 'scary' reputation because of their associations with themes like victimisation, enslavement to an addiction (either an actual substance or a negative relationship) and, where The Tower is concerned, upheaval not entirely within your control, the disintegration of a structure (such as a relationship, a family unit, a job, etc.), and permanent change. Remember that change doesn't necessarily have to be a bad thing.

Just looking at those two cards side by side, it might be a case of you needing to discard anything (or anyone) in your life that is no longer benefiting you, and that there may be a situation that arises that will give you a 'push' to take action. But, as I said, the other cards need to be considered to understand the situation in its entirety. You should also know that nothing is ever set in stone and you shouldn't allow a couple of cards to dictate how you view or live your life - they merely serve as a guide, which you can take or leave as and when you wish.

Don't worry about the reading and how the reader reacted. Everyone perceives and reacts to things in their own way anyway. You could have gone to a different reader who had pulled out the same cards and he/she wouldn't have reacted so dramatically and negatively.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

Life is like a pack of cards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Life is like a pack of cards

Wow. The insight.

Thanks for the feedback. From what I remember the reader couldn't indicate if this was the past, present or future. Other cards were, as far as I remember, hanged man, 7 swords, ace of cups, and following that the lovers, and I think some more cards from the swords suit. I know that I shouldn't put such emphasis on this, but it really bothered me. She asked if I loved my husband, and if the spark was gone. Upsetting stuff for an otherwise enjoyable day !

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Readers can be wrong. If nothing made sense, then I would presume the reader simply could not connect to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Melodi

First, yes readers can be wrong, second I think the reader may simply have over-reacted. From what I think you are saying, this combination came up in several different card spreads (sorry I wasn't sure from your description). I've had that happen in reading sessions quite often and it can be a bit unsettling for both reader and client. It is even more troubling if the cards (or an answer) appears to be negative. I find this happens most often in relationship readings when the client really wants "so and so to love me" and the cards suggest that "so and so probably does not."

In any case, I can't be certain without seeing the rest of the spread, but there are a lot of ways to deal with the combination you were getting. The most basic one being that "The Devil" card is also "Temptation" (in the deck I use that is what it is called) and the Tower of Destruction often signals the end of something and/or creative destruction (getting rid of things we don't want).

So I would probably tell the client, "it looks like you may face the temptation to either just quit something and/or tear it apart very soon now." You may want to really consider your options before giving into this temptation because once this choice is made, it appears there will be no turning back.

You can easily see how this might fit into the context of a divorce, an affair, quitting a job etc.

Whatever comes up, getting upset as a reader does not help your client in anyway - being human it is always going to happen to us once in a while, but it really sounds like your reader needs to gain some more experience with reading for people and the more complex meanings of the cards.

Advertisement