Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Referees and Manchester United

• 23-09-2012 4:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭

Why Is It that, or at least it appears that referees and most official decisions during the 90mins of football games always seem to go towards United, Is It a big team mentality where united are seen as some kind of behemoth of English football at the moment so Refs feel pressured into giving them a advantage in a 50/50 decision. Or is it because Fergie is such a big presence in the game at the moment, and perhaps has sway over some of what the FA thinks.

Is it just Liverpool and rival fans who think this? Are we all paranoid conspiracy theorists, and what does your average neutral fan think?

I have a wide array of football supporting mates, fair few utd fans(which I will be ignoring for a few days now ofc :P ) But any that aren’t Utd fans do tend to agree fully that after alot of games it’s the attitude of ''ye I can see why you rage about Utd, they do get so many jammy decisions, win every 50/50'' etc.
    Is it a natural hatred for the 'winning' and currently successful teams that makes most fans think this way, or is it just down to the fact Utd do get mindboggling decisions go there way most games and makes you want to pull your hair out when you are playing against them.(Liverpool’s game today for example)

There’s alot of slags and stereotypes for the big teams supported in Ireland around, Liverpool are 'overrated' constantly living in past 'mid-level team at best', Arsenal play with no heart sell everyone and are 'wimpy', Chelsea bought their team have 'more managers then a Tesco’s chain' and so on.
    But I never really hear of any big team being called 12th man with refs, and having 'FA in back pocket/jammy cheats' like you do with Utd, so there has to be some base to it? Or are slags just slags.

I'm well aware this will get shot down by any Utd posters as a bitter Pool fans rage post, and maybe it is. But over last few years I’m getting disillusioned with the English league and losing alot of love for it, not because Liverpool are getting worse, outside a handful of years they have been bad for a long time and always loved to watch em, but the bad refs that seem to dominate the headlines and the scorelines just make me sick, Also this feeling that the winning team, and the winner of the league had a year long run of daft decisions and jammy and 'cheaty' calls and chances that won them most games, and ergo the league. Just takes so much away from football for me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

I'm well aware this will get shot down by any Utd posters as a bitter Pool fans rage post, and maybe it is.

Yup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Why Is It that, or at least it appears that referees and most official decisions during the 90mins of football games always seem to go towards United, Is It a big team mentality where united are seen as some kind of behemoth of English football at the moment so Refs feel pressured into giving them a advantage in a 50/50 decision. Or is it because Fergie is such a big presence in the game at the moment, and perhaps has sway over some of what the FA thinks.

Is it just Liverpool and rival fans who think this? Are we all paranoid conspiracy theorists, and what does your average neutral fan think?

I have a wide array of football supporting mates, fair few utd fans(which I will be ignoring for a few days now ofc :P ) But any that aren’t Utd fans do tend to agree fully that after alot of games it’s the attitude of ''ye I can see why you rage about Utd, they do get so many jammy decisions, win every 50/50'' etc.
    Is it a natural hatred for the 'winning' and currently successful teams that makes most fans think this way, or is it just down to the fact Utd do get mindboggling decisions go there way most games and makes you want to pull your hair out when you are playing against them.(Liverpool’s game today for example)

There’s alot of slags and stereotypes for the big teams supported in Ireland around, Liverpool are 'overrated' constantly living in past 'mid-level team at best', Arsenal play with no heart sell everyone and are 'wimpy', Chelsea bought their team have 'more managers then a Tesco’s chain' and so on.
    But I never really hear of any big team being called 12th man with refs, and having 'FA in back pocket/jammy cheats' like you do with Utd, so there has to be some base to it? Or are slags just slags.

I'm well aware this will get shot down by any Utd posters as a bitter Pool fans rage post, and maybe it is. But over last few years I’m getting disillusioned with the English league and losing alot of love for it, not because Liverpool are getting worse, outside a handful of years they have been bad for a long time and always loved to watch em, but the bad refs that seem to dominate the headlines and the scorelines just make me sick, Also this feeling that the winning team, and the winner of the league had a year long run of daft decisions and jammy and 'cheaty' calls and chances that won them most games, and ergo the league. Just takes so much away from football for me.
    No maybe about it. It is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

2 penalties at Anfield for United in the history of the league,yeah we get all the decisions.:rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

TL;DR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Hahaha, epic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

The cliche invariably proves true tbh - everything evens out over the course of a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

You just couldn't make it up could ya? It's like Jim Corr has opened multiple accounts and is a Liverpool fan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

It's a conspiracy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

That's a lot of effort put in to type a big pile of crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Ha ha ha ha ha :D
    Best thread ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 831 ✭✭✭rotinaj

Rattled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

:-).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Ah shur the minnows never get the breaks against the big teams........:D

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I have a felling ShaneScouse is a United wum. No normal fan could be this stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Mate, I usually find after losing to your arch rivals the best thing to do is switch off all forms of communication and media for at least a good two hours. Otherwise you just come across as a bitter old crank. And you can't even blame it on Howard Webb this time. Just accept the beating and be done with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

When a decision goes for a club as big or even as massive as United then it's natural that it will be highlighted even more, you will easily find if bothered enough to search that they don't 'get' more decisions than other clubs but the OP probably already knew that. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Halsley is obviously jealous of webb's "special relationship" with fergie and wants a piece of that, i fear an ugly love triangle is about to develop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Man Utd have conceeded more penalties at Old Trafford than Liverpool have at Anfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

zerks wrote: »
    2 penalties at Anfield for United in the history of the league,yeah we get all the decisions.:rolleyes:

You do know the league started before 1992 right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

The ref done a great job,he spotted Suarez's dives all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

This thread can be re-started in a week if you really feel like it. I'm not going to allow it today though, just going to be a duplicate of the match thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement