Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curriculum Vitae

Options
  • 23-09-2012 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I have been looking for a part time entry level job in retail for a few months now and I am having no luck. I don't usually even get a call to inform me that I was unsuccessful. I don't mind that so much when I do a C.V. drop, but when I apply for an advertised position it would be common courtesy.

I have recently been thinking that it could be a problem with my C.V. so are there any templates out there which would be suitable for applying for a job like that?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

What are you doing on your CV drop?

If it's handing it in to customer service then it's going to be very tough.
    In fact the staff might even bin it as they want their friends to get the jobs!

Dress well, find the manager, shake their hand and introduce yourself.
    There does be high turnover in these places and when they need staff on short notice they will remember you over CV number 23 in a stack of 200 sitting in a cabinet

Good luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

Are you not following up your applications with a phonecall? That may help you get some feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 JohnnyRainbows

mikemac1 wrote: »
    What are you doing on your CV drop?

If it's handing it in to customer service then it's going to be very tough.
    In fact the staff might even bin it as they want their friends to get the jobs!

Dress well, find the manager, shake their hand and introduce yourself.
    There does be high turnover in these places and when they need staff on short notice they will remember you over CV number 23 in a stack of 200 sitting in a cabinet

Good luck :)

Yeah I'm afraid I have been handing to managers, always dressed well but they don't seem to get back to me. Thanks

tony81 wrote: »
    Are you not following up your applications with a phonecall? That may help you get some feedback.

I follow up most of them with a phone call but it often just ends up ringing off or else its very hard to get a direct line for the store.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭sky2424

contact your jobsclub through your nearest fas office. Theyl review your CV for free and tell you what kind of CVs people are sending out. Got mine done and found it very insightful.

• Advertisement

sky2424 wrote: »
    contact your jobsclub through your nearest fas office. Theyl review your CV for free and tell you what kind of CVs people are sending out. Got mine done and found it very insightful.

Is that a free service for everyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭sky2424

Is that a free service for everyone?

Its free if your on social welfare anyway. Although theyd have to bve pretty cold hearted not to give you a look in even if you not on social welfare. Worth a try anyway

Its free if your on social welfare anyway. Although theyd have to bve pretty cold hearted not to give you a look in even if you not on social welfare. Worth a try anyway

Thats what I was thinking, maybe I'll try the careers office at my college first. Thanks!

Actually, what were the main things that they told you to change on your C.V.?

Advertisement