Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

limescale in kettle

Options
  • 23-09-2012 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭

Anyone know if i can use the critic acid that u is to clean the steriliser to clean the kettle? Need to get rid of the limestone before new baby arrives!! Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I use it on the kettle and steriliser. I think it has a lot fewer chemicals than commercial de scalers. No problem with baby anyway, although we only give one bottle a day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

Where can you buy it? We have the same problem

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

You buy it in the chemist, its cheap as chips! I recently put some in the dishwasher to clear it as we live in a limey area and it worked a treat.

ETA-I tried lemon juice and other natural acids/abrasives but only the citric acid powder cleared the limescale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

Vinegar. Plain, cheap, grocery store vinegar. Boil a bit in some water, rinse & all limescale gone. Been doing it for yonks & can never understand the idea of purposely buying marketed anti-limescale stuff :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends on where you live and how hard your water is.

If you live in Balbriggan or somewhere where the water is ridiculously hard then Oust is the only solution,if you live in a more normal water area vinegar will work or coke or lemon juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Ayla

We have horrendous water, you can feel the scale on your skin after a shower, any line-dried clothes turn into cardboard & we have to filter all of our drinking water. Vinegar works fine.

White or brown vinegar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Ellsbells wrote: »
    White or brown vinegar?

White vinegar..its also great for cleaning your oven put a bowl of it in the oven turn it on and leave for about 2 hrs let the oven cool and wipe down..spotless..I make alot of my household cleaners with vinegar. Better for me, baby, environment and my purse :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭IsItJustMeOr...

I use just plain old lemon juice and it works wonders!
    Much easier IMO than even vinegar and smells less.

Cut a lemon in half and squeeze in removing the pips. Swish it around and leave for a few minutes, then add some cold water and boil and dump contents. I then fill completely, boil and rinse after. Kettle is spotless.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Play Bunny

I use oust in the kettle every week and bought sachets of citric acid on eBay.

The white vinegar worked great.

Advertisement