Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guidance Counselling Needed!

Options
  • 23-09-2012 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Guidance Counselling needed
    Hey everyone,
    I'm a 2nd year student in Mary Immaculate College studying to be a Primary School Teacher. I've always liked the thought of becoming a teacher so that made my CAO choices fairly easy until I came out of my LC with an unexpected 580 points. I began to wonder whether I would be wasting a load of unbelievable opportunities by becoming a Primary Teacher with such high points. However I just went with my gut feeling and haven't looked back until now. Just 2 weeks into my 2nd year and I'm already feeling the stress. I'm uninterested in the course material, going to lectures is a massive struggle, and I'm beginning to doubt how rewarding this job will actually be. Every week I'm seeing paycuts and job losses in the news and I'm starting to wonder whether I'll even get a job when I qualify. I'm a male and everything, but its very unlikely that I'll get a First class honours degree. So I just want to know if when I do qualify there could be an easy pathway into doing Speech and Language Therapy in the future as a postgrad or something. I'm interested in the English Literacy side of my course and I think I would be very suited to becoming a Speech therapist. Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Icarus Wings

Hey ClassicE15! Just want to thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings on this forum. Mary I can be quite a stressful place and it does no harm to vent some concerns. I'm no expert in giving advice in these situations, so I can only offer a few of my own thoughts. :)

First off, on the issue of stress, it's well known that many (including myself) find the 1st semester of 2nd year BEd to be one of the most stressful. The lecturers can often come on quite heavy in the first few weeks by bombarding students with course outlines and putting often extreme and unnecessary emphasis on certain assessments. You may be feeling immediate panic at the moment and, speaking from experience, that's a time when unwise decisions can be made.

I know you said that a First class honours degree seems unlikely, but judging by your LC results, you seem to be more than able to address the academic demands of the course. Regarding the employment issues, graduates with all degree levels can gain employment. Granted, things are tough right now and it'll take a period of subbing before the possibility of permanent posts but if you have the desire to pursue teaching and willingness to meet hard work head-on, employment is most certainly in your grasp.

Whether you have a desire to teach...well, that's something you'll need to decide for yourself. One thing to note, though - a Bachelor degree can be whatever you choose to make of it. It can that key for accessing a career in teaching alone or it can be a stepping stone to an area that could be completely different. Postgrad options in Psychology, lecturing and areas working with students (like Speech therapy) are always possible! It might be a good idea to ask Student Services or the Human Resources Office for an appointment with a career guidance advisor. Postgrad options have come a long way in Mary I and remember, you are not restricted to studying as a postgrad in Mary I alone!

I can't emphasise my final point enough! I implore of yourself and anyone else reading this to talk about your concerns, worries and stresses. Nobody is alone in this! The worse thing to do is allow things to pile up on you and not let anyone know! There's a quality team with the Chaplaincy (some of the most decent people I have ever met) and Councilling services. Don't be a stranger - there are people who are there to help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭k_smash

Hey Classic E15 :)

I have to say I 100% have to agree with Icarus Wings on this issue. I have just finished in Mary I and it is a well known fact that the first semester in second year is the worst. I hope you take into consideration the fact that hundreds if not thousands have gone through the semester before you and if they can do it so can you. :) On that note, I think if you are feeling like it's all getting too much for you, DO go talk to the councillors in the college. It is an invaluable service and they are well used to listening to concerns like yours and would be very willing to help you :)

Don't be worried it will all come good in the end. P.S. Don't be worried about getting a first class honours or not (although you got 580 which says that you definitely have the potential), you will still get a job. :)
    Best of luck with the rest of the semester... this time next year you won't know why you were stressing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

when I left Mary I , the last thing I wanted to do was teach. I was so sick of it.
    However I had always wanted to be a teacher and that feeling came back quickly .
    I'm happily teaching now 20 years later.

If you really want to be a teacher then stay.
    If not then switch courses.

I wouldnt like speech therapy myself. I like the variety in teaching. Of course jobs are very scarce in both professions.

Advertisement