Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

petition for range in south east

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Who exactly is being 'petitioned' with this? Is the government expected to fund a range for the SE?

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

tought that myself when i saw it first BLAY ,,,but i think its just a way to show /see if there if is enough interest in the reigon for anyone to go ahead and start the process of starting a club /range ....

ian ...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It's a joke that in the process of trying to get support, and signatures for a new range that a "dig" had to be got at the only range to actually build one.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Could anyone set up a shooting range (assuming they had the land/facilities/money)? Or is there a licence or special planning permission required?

Planning permission to build is needed, and a range authorisation is required.

All the rules for operating a range, and the building codes for it are contained within SI622/2011.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Range Shooter

Ezridax wrote: »
    It's a joke that in the process of trying to get support, and signatures for a new range that a "dig" had to be got at the only range to actually build one.

There are a lot of "jokes" when it come to shooting in this country :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

It's a joke that in the process of trying to get support, and signatures for a new range that a "dig"
    Ah... typical irish shooting community. And what of genuine shooters who cant afford to drive 1/2/3 hrs a week before ammo to get there???
    the only range to actually build one
    Exactly the point. If someone had the funds and interest to do so, this petition might give them the push they need to know the venture be worthwhile. Surely more facilities wouldnt be a bad thing for us Ez????

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

There are a lot of "jokes" when it come to shooting in this country :eek:
    There's certainly a few comedians allright. They give the PTB more than a few laughs, if half of what I've heard over the last few decades has even a grain of truth to it.

What I'd like to know is who's going to build this range? There's not a single shooter anywhere in the country that thinks we don't need more ranges, but damn few people building ranges, especially the kind of facility this petition is talking about; long-range ranges (legal long range ranges that is) are pretty expensive to build and hard work to maintain...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

This thread is on course to be an absolute clusterfcuk already:pac:

EireIceMan wrote: »
    Ah... typical irish shooting community.
    Do you not see the hypocrisy of your statement. You belittle my comment about such a dig, yet the dig itself is perfectly acceptable. So instead of making a case for a new range based on it's merits, the need for one, etc the person that wrote the reason in the title of the petition uses jibes, insults, and digs towards the only range to offer these facilities as their basis.

So when you say typical "Irish shooting community" and direct it at me, i would ask you to look at the petition and direct the same distain towards it.
    And what of genuine shooters who cant afford to drive 1/2/3 hrs a week before ammo to get there???
    It's a great pity that more people cannot make use of the midlands ranges, however i fail to see how anyone with a ounce of sense can hold a range that already exists as the cause for other ranges not existing. It's completely nonsensical. They built that range from what it was 20 years ago, to what it is today. Location may not suit everyone, but what range does?
    Surely more facilities wouldnt be a bad thing for us Ez????
    Absolutely it would be a good thing. More ranges are the only thing going to keep shooting sports alive in the country. If you check back through my posts over the years you'll see i've always expressed that sentiment.

However i'm completely at a loss at to why the author decided to mock, insult, get dig at the midlands range as though they are the cause. Did anyone bother to contact the midlands and ask what's involved? How they grew to what they are? For help, guidance, etc?

Having worked on the midlands range i can say that there are a group of people involved that would happily donate time, effort, manpower, etc to any range or group that wished to build such a range. However such remarks would seem only to dissuade any help rather than encourage it.

• Advertisement

Ez, Can you show me the 'dig, insult and jibes' at the other range???

Sparks wrote: »
    There's certainly a few comedians allright. They give the PTB more than a few laughs, if half of what I've heard over the last few decades has even a grain of truth to it....

Some of the jokes would include......................

the divide & conquer regime the DOJ use with the help of some of the shooting organisations to make sure shooting is kept under the cosh

the way some can reload & others can't but have been told it'll be sorted soon

the Commissioners Guidelines and they wat they have already been changed to suit the Gardas' agenda against pistols, wonder what'll be next?

the way we can't even zero a rifle anywhere except on a range

that under 14's can't shoot, even on a range

that there are now so many variables with setting up a range that it's gonna be very hard to see anymore being built as if something as simple as the local Super disapproves it's dead in the water

the postcode lottery with regard to licencing

I could go on :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭.243

pardon the pun but if this is a genuine petition surely a little competition never hurt :D

As usual this is the Irish way of monopolising and exploiting registered firearms owners.

How would you take it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Where in the southeast and what type of shooting ?

.243 wrote: »
    pardon the pun but if this is a genuine a little competition never hurt :D
    This is not about competition. You could build another 10 ranges, and it still would not be enough in my opinion. There are also (i believe) member caps on ranges. So you cannot have a range with 1,000/10,000/100,000 members. So even if there were thousands lining up a range can only have so many members. I stand to be corrected on that.

I am not against a new range. If it were to go ahead i, and many others i know, would volunteer their time to help build it. More ranges, more shooters, the sport grows, etc.

How would you take it?

If the petition is referring to Midlands they do currently have the monopoly on shooting over 300 metres or is is yards? and they have the monopoly on reloading ................................ so hardly a dig :confused:

Not by design. Plus if a second range were to open that "monopoly" would vanish. The midlands are run under the same rules as any other range. They control nothing, and must conform as others must.

Also what about the second part of that quote. Exploiting registered firearms owners.

Ez, Can you show me the 'dig, insult and jibes' at the other range???

Read the opening paragraph of that petition:
    It is a joke that everyone has to join the one and only 1000 yard range. This is up to and over a three hour journey to get there for many. We deserve a choice and not have to be limited to the one range. As usual this is the Irish way of monopolising and exploiting registered firearms owners.
    That's a ridiculous dig to be taking at the midlands. The reason there's only one thousand yard range in the country is because only one group got up and built one. There's not one single rule or law banning anyone else from doing it, and the lads who built the Midlands have offered to help others do the same more than once, but the offer's never been taken up.
    Some of the jokes would include......................
    Okay, let's take a look will we?
    the divide & conquer regime the DOJ use with the help of some of the shooting organisations to make sure shooting is kept under the cosh
    Divide and conquer might well work; which is why it's so odd that the FCP, which had everyone at the same table, got destroyed -- not by the DoJ, but by shooters.
    the way some can reload & others can't but have been told it'll be sorted soon
    Yeah, it's almost like only one group asked for it and fought for it, isn't it? And isn't the delay in the legislation almost like we had a change of government in the meantime?
    the Commissioners Guidelines and they wat they have already been changed to suit the Gardas' agenda against pistols, wonder what'll be next?
    Agreed, those guidelines are naff. But they're not written by shooters...
    the way we can't even zero a rifle anywhere except on a range
    Yup, and we've been saying that's naff since McDowell brought it in back in 2004.
    that under 14's can't shoot, even on a range
    That's just not true. U-14s can't shoot outside of a range, and they can't have a licence; but there's no age limit in Section 2(4)(d).
    that there are now so many variables with setting up a range that it's gonna be very hard to see anymore being built as if something as simple as the local Super disapproves it's dead in the water
    Yup. It's a difficult thing to build a range.
    Best response to that is definitely to get in a dig against the existing ranges :rolleyes:
    the postcode lottery with regard to licencing
    Yup. That's also been complained about since long before I started shooting.
    I could go on :(
    Could you either find something that's not been known about and complained about for decades, or something that's actually correct?

'Cos the jokes I'm thinking of are things like private clubs asking for a monopoly on giving out pistol licences; groups trying to obtain other groups' grants under false pretences and making a show of themselves in the process; people youtubing themselves breaking the firearms act in just about every dumbass way you could think of and then posting up those videos all over the place with faces and licence plates of cars clearly visible; people detailing in public forums how they've broken, are breaking, and plan to continue breaking the firearms acts despite knowing that's what they're doing; and so on.

You want to know what really kicks efforts to fix the problems you mentioned above in the head? It's idiots who so blatently make idiots of themselves. Their names and acts get thrown back in the faces of those trying to actually fix problems. And that is why we can't have nice things.

and they have the monopoly on reloading ................................ so hardly a dig :confused:
    Without derailing the thread with yet another pointless debate on reloading they control nothing. The were issued a "license" to run a reloading scheme. The DoJ also control this. Only one other association other than the MNSCI/NRAI applied for it. So do you expect a knock on the door with the DoJ offering you reloading especially after the NARGC and other bodies on numerous occasions refused it?

• Advertisement

Not by design.

By default so :)
    Plus if a second range were to open that "monopoly" would vanish. The midlands are run under the same rules as any other range. They control nothing, and must conform as others must.

Agreed.

BUT

The precedent has been set. DOJ will now probably refuse reloading in the home and may now advise someone who asks to reload to join Midlands and shoot long range :eek:
    Also what about the second part of that quote. Exploiting registered firearms owners.

The exploitation part..................I have nothing to add to that unless you do?

By default so :)
    Monopoly - The exclusive possession or control of the supply or trade in a commodity or service.

The midlands control nothing. The open, work, run under the control of the DoJ, and local Super. All this can be taken away if either of those deem it necessary. So whatever way you feel you need to describe the midlands i doubt i'm going to change your mind, and am not really inclined to try.
    The precedent has been set. DOJ will now probably refuse reloading in the home and may now advise someone who asks to reload to join Midlands and shoot long range :eek:
    And how would it work if the midlands refused reloading the same as EVERY OTHER organisation. Reloading at a range would not be possible, let alone at home. Again though really not inform for a relaoding debate. A search of Boards will show you all the exhausted previous debates on the matter.
    The exploitation part..................I have nothing to add to that unless you do?
    Why focus on the monopoly part and ignore this simply because you cannot explain it away or rationalise it.

The person that wrote that petition introduction obviously chose their words carefully, and have said that the MNSCI are exploiting Irish shooters. A fairly serious accusation.

Read the opening paragraph of that petition:

I have Sparks.
    And it is a joke. I hope to join midlands next year, after years of hoping.
    What about lads in Kerry, Cork, (insert county not near midlands here)?.
    Thats a question.

What about lads in Kerry, Cork, (insert county not near midlands here)?.
    Thats a question.
    They've got two choices.
    1) Join the midlands.
    2) Build their own range nearer to home.

That's one choice more than the people in Tullamore had before they built their range...

who ever it is seems to be more pissed off with the lack of facilites in this country rather than the only available one,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Just reading this for the first time and what a load of crap. Would the dickhead that started this not do it him/her self.

From recent experience of the costs involved in completing a 12 bay open 25m range I would say that €500,000 would just about get the 50, 100, 200, and 300 firing points that the Midlands now have. Not including the cost of land or a club house.

I say put up or shut up.

cj

Divide and conquer might well work; which is why it's so odd that the FCP, which had everyone at the same table, got destroyed -- not by the DoJ, but by shooters.

The often lorded FCP........................it was a PR exercise by the DOJ and when some of the "shooters" refused to cow down DOJ pulled the plug
    Yeah, it's almost like only one group asked for it and fought for it, isn't it? And isn't the delay in the legislation almost like we had a change of government in the meantime?

And set a precedent that'll probably mean that relaoding at home will never materialise
    Agreed, those guidelines are naff. But they're not written by shooters....

So there was no FCP input?
    Yup, and we've been saying that's naff since McDowell brought it in back in 2004.

So why didn't your FCP sort it so?
    That's just not true. U-14s can't shoot outside of a range, and they can't have a licence; but there's no age limit in Section 2(4)(d).

Not if the range has it in it's authorisation that onlt licence holders can shoot there
    Yup. It's a difficult thing to build a range.
    Best response to that is definitely to get in a dig against the existing ranges :rolleyes:.

Where did I have a dig :confused:
    Yup. That's also been complained about since long before I started shooting..

Once again I have to wonder wht the FCP didn't sort it so :confused:
    Could you either find something that's not been known about and complained about for decades, or something that's actually correct?.

The fact it is known about & complained about and that there was an FCP to sort all these problems and they are still there makes me wonder alright :rolleyes:
    'Cos the jokes I'm thinking of are things like private clubs asking for a monopoly on giving out pistol licences; groups trying to obtain other groups' grants under false pretences and making a show of themselves in the process; people youtubing themselves breaking the firearms act in just about every dumbass way you could think of and then posting up those videos all over the place with faces and licence plates of cars clearly visible; people detailing in public forums how they've broken, are breaking, and plan to continue breaking the firearms acts despite knowing that's what they're doing; and so on..

So the NTSA never made submissions to DOJ?

There is a lot of ****e on Utube & here that makes shooters look bad. Maybe shutting this forum down would be a good start so ?
    You want to know what really kicks efforts to fix the problems you mentioned above in the head? It's idiots who so blatently make idiots of themselves. Their names and acts get thrown back in the faces of those trying to actually fix problems. And that is why we can't have nice things.

So selfless these "people" trying to help the rest of us out :cool:

"Nice things" :confused: I have nice things :cool:

They've got two choices.
    1) Join the midlands.
    2) Build their own range nearer to home.
    mmmmmmmmm i think choice no.2 is their aim is ...hence a petition to find out interest in numbers

clivej wrote: »
    Just reading this for the first time and what a load of crap. Would the dickhead that started this not do it him/her self.

From recent experience of the costs involved in completing a 12 bay open 25m range I would say that €500,000 would just about get the 50, 100, 200, and 300 firing points that the Midlands now have. Not including the cost of land or a club house.

I say put up or shut up.

cj
    clive rome wasnt built in a day and neither was midlands :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

.243 wrote:
    who ever it is seems to be more pissed off with the lack of facilites in this country rather than the only available one.
    If that was all it was i would share in that frustration. However the remarks directed towards the midlands are unfounded, unnecessary, and counter productive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement