Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should something be done about fireworks?

• 23-09-2012 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭

Being a teenager every year I see people that get stopped by the gards while in possession of fireworks, they are taken off them and nothing ever happen, a lot of them aren't even asked for their names. Fireworks are illegal and I think its about time that we do something about it, IMO there should be fines and arrests, I've been injured by fireworks and I believe it wouldn't have happened if the gards did their job and dealt with it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Don't be a dry balls, let them have their fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

But its illegal and people have been seriously hurt and occasionally killed, why should we just ignore the law?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

YES

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

something something Gardai should worry more about the banks something something something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I agree. All the injuries down to stupidity, and the cruelty to animals.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

GarIT wrote: »
    Being a teenager every year I see people that get stopped by the gards while in possession of fireworks, they are taken off them and nothing ever happen, a lot of them aren't even asked for their names. Fireworks are illegal and I think its about time that we do something about it, IMO there should be fines and arrests, I've been injured by fireworks and I believe it wouldn't have happened if the gards did their job and dealt with it.

Why the guards as a first line of blame?

Maybe if you took personal responsibility for your own actions and modified them so you would not get injured - this debate wouldn't need to take place at all and someone else also wouldn't get the blame?

Yea, lets pass the buck - its always someone elses fault!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Arrests? What is the actual punishment defined in law for possession of fireworks? Are we talking about personal use or dealing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Blame the guards for everything.

Blame the guards for everything.

Yep, they step in - its a nanny state!

They don't step in - its all their fault!

Some people are unreal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

I've been injured by lots of things, but that doesn't make them inherently dangerous.

Legalising fireworks, ensuring only quality fireworks are sold to responsible adults would sort 95% of the problems associated with them.

Instead of rational thought however, this country deals with many issues by banning the percieved cause of the problem.

• Advertisement

Stick a lit firework up the arse of anyone caught with them (then run). That'll learn them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It's a disgrace Joe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

Organised supervised firework event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

All fireworks should be destroyed!

Gather them all up, pile them all together and set fire to them.

This should happen a few times a year.

I blame the Chinese.

Biggins wrote: »
    Why the guards as a first line of blame?

Maybe if you took personal responsibility for your own actions and modified them so you would not get injured - this debate wouldn't need to take place at all and someone else also wouldn't get the blame?

Yea, lets pass the buck - its always someone elses fault!

I was in a public toilet and had fireworks thrown at me at the time, theres nothing I could have done, but if there were people stopped at the border or arrests made of the people that actually have them things would be different. The government or the gards have to be to blame they are supposed to enforce the law.

Many people see them as just a bit of fun but in reality ther are explosives and they can be lethal.

I 100% support licenced and controlled fireworks displays by professionals and I've often gone to them but not the local idiot setting off fireworks in housing estates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I'd rather just see actual useful punishments for the scumbags that use that as weapons/terrify people/animals with them.

I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with them being used. It's how they get used is the problem.
    And of course the insanely obvious thing of "ah your honour, he's on the dole/drugs/drink/bad home/general scumbag so let him go will ya" and they'll be out doing it again next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I have two dogs and dread halloween - they are terrified of fireworks, can attack furniture and woodwork if left alone and won't go out in the garden on their own.

The mindless cruelty inflicted on animals is heartbreaking too, I would love to see the same punishment inflicted on those who think it's hilarious to insert a firework in the rectum of an animal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Guards should buy their own fireworks.

GarIT, what happened to you was horrible but those folks were scum/dikheads. Granted, they used fireworks. I doubt they always do this. I'm sure they usually use other more common items so that they can continue their quest of being low lifes.

• Advertisement

I'd rather just see actual useful punishments for the scumbags that use that as weapons/terrify people/animals with them.

I don't think there's necessarily anything wrong with them being used. It's how they get used is the problem.
    And of course the insanely obvious thing of "ah your honour, he's on the dole/drugs/drink/bad home/general scumbag so let him go will ya" and they'll be out doing it again next year.

Unfortunately scumbags don't need fireworks to harm animals or other humans.

In the last month the 'Northside People' had one story of a cat shot a few times with a pellet gun and a dog who had his face burnt off with acid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

I was in a public toilet and had fireworks thrown at me at the time, theres nothing I could have done, but if there were people stopped at the border or arrests made of the people that actually have them things would be different. The government or the gards have to be to blame they are supposed to enforce the law.

Many people see them as just a bit of fun but in reality ther are explosives and they can be lethal.

I 100% support licenced and controlled fireworks displays by professionals and I've often gone to them but not the local idiot setting off fireworks in housing estates.

Sorry to hear of your injuries.

Lets be honest, the Gardi can't be everywhere, every time.
    A 24 hour, around the clock, all year Garda presence, lined by side by side across our border, is not going to stop fireworks either getting in or being used in the country.

Certainly in some cases there should be much heavier sentences where lives are effected.
    The Gardi can ONLY enforce the law which is on the books.
    A toolman is only as good as his tools.

Blame the right people and not the only that are called in later to try clean up the mess and catch the culprits!
    If you want change, pressure those that can make it happen - its not the Gardi but elected representatives which then give the Gardi of Ireland the tools (law and/or utilities) to do their job.

GarIT, what happened to you was horrible but those folks were scum/dikheads. Granted, they used fireworks. I doubt they always do this. I'm sure they usually use other more common items so that they can continue their quest of being low lifes.

It was actually people in school who usually wouldn't do any harm, fireworks turn a lot of teenagers into complete c**ts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I have two dogs and dread halloween - they are terrified of fireworks, can attack furniture and woodwork if left alone and won't go out in the garden on their own.

So we should ban thunderstorms too?

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Unfortunately scumbags don't need fireworks to harm animals or other humans.

In the last month the 'Northside People' had one story of a cat shot a few times with a pellet gun and a dog who had his face burnt off with acid.

Sorry, but reading that kind of stuff brings out my inner vigilante. You really don't want to know what I'd do to people who did this kind of thing.

Confab wrote: »

She can't help the stuff like the fireworks in Dublin, no. And I would say no to banning the displays done by the professionals for the 90 minutes or whatever it is.

But there's no reason to have little feckers flinging them around the place in neighbourhoods or flats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Sorry, but reading that kind of stuff brings out my inner vigilante. You really don't want to know what I'd do to people who did this kind of thing.

Would you do that if the same was done to a person? My guess is no.

[...] I've been injured by fireworks and I believe it wouldn't have happened if the gards did their job and dealt with it.

It shouldn't be a responsibility of the state to protect individuals from their own stupidity.

• Advertisement

gvn wrote: »
    It shouldn't be a responsibility of the state to protect individuals from their own stupidity.

Maybe it should be the moral responsibility to educate such people (and I think the state to some degree tries to) but if fools after that ignore whats being said to them?
    ...Well they suffer their own brought about consequences - which hopefully don't involve the harming of further innocents!

He never said how he was injured. You assume it was because he was mishandling them or something.
    Maybe he had someone throw one at him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 925 ✭✭✭say_who_now?

I was in a public toilet and had fireworks thrown at me at the time, theres nothing I could have done

*clenches bumcheeks*, ouch! sore dose! :o

I was walking the young lad to school one morning when a couple of little shíts dropped a black cat behind them in our wake, I just stepped on the firework and there was no bang, no drama!

They're not going away any time soon OP, and theres always going to be a black market for them, and as annoying as they are, they're more or less only around for a few weeks in the year, scumbags will always find some way to amuse themselves at the expense of others, and fireworks are only one temporary way to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

I find the different approaches to enforcement for fireworks versus drugs to be a little strange: if caught with a small amount of cannabis you might be given a conviction in Court that could seriously F up your employment prospects (incl. visa eligibility for certain countries), while if your caught with illegal explosives that are commonly used in a dangerous and antisocial manner you will merely have them taken off you with no threat of further repercussions.

Sorry to hear of your injuries.

Lets be honest, the Gardi can't be everywhere, every time.
    A 24 hour, around the clock, all year Garda presence, lined by side by side across our border, is not going to stop fireworks either getting in or being used in the country.

Certainly in some cases there should be much heavier sentences where lives are effected.
    The Gardi can ONLY enforce the law which is on the books.
    A toolman is only as good as his tools.

Blame the right people and not the only that are called in later to try clean up the mess and catch the culprits!
    If you want change, pressure those that can make it happen - its not the Gardi but elected representatives which then give the Gardi of Ireland the tools (law and/or utilities) to do their job.

They dont have to be everywhere but take last year for examply I know of 5 people that we caught with fireworks last year, where I live people walk aroud with gym bags of them setting them off. If their parents of each of those people got fined €1,000 and the kids got a few weeks community service it should take a big chunk of the problem away.

We should't need someone to happen for harsher punishments, thats like letting someone away with drug use because you want to arrest them after they rob somebody to pay their debits.

I never really thought about it before but I think I might send off an email to the department of justice and see what they say.

...I think I might send off an email to the department of justice and see what they say.

Well if you do, fair play for taking up the mantle about something that concerns you and trying to effect change!

• Advertisement

Maybe it should be the moral responsibility to educate such people (and I think the state to some degree tries to) but if fools after that ignore whats being said to them?
    ...Well they suffer their own brought about consequences - which hopefully don't involve the harming of further innocents!

Exactly. Education is key. As I said, I don't believe the state should help to protect person's from their own stupidity.
    He never said how he was injured. You assume it was because he was mishandling them or something.
    Maybe he had someone throw one at him?

I didn't direct my statement at him. He said he had fireworks thrown at him; if he was injured because of that, then the individuals who threw the fireworks should have been arrested for assault. The kind of person who would throw a firework at another isn't going to stop being an arse just because fireworks are illegal, and if fireworks became impossible to get then they'd just use something else. Prohibition doesn't work, whereas education does.

*clenches bumcheeks*, ouch! sore dose! :o

I was walking the young lad to school one morning when a couple of little shíts dropped a black cat behind them in our wake, I just stepped on the firework and there was no bang, no drama!

They're not going away any time soon OP, and theres always going to be a black market for them, and as annoying as they are, they're more or less only around for a few weeks in the year, scumbags will always find some way to amuse themselves at the expense of others, and fireworks are only one temporary way to do it.

You really don't want to be on the bog when a firework goes off. It acutally used to be a few weeks but they started today and they will probably go on until christmas.

I didn't direct my statement at him. He said he had fireworks thrown at him; if he was injured because of that, then the individuals who threw the fireworks should have been arrested for assault. The kind of person who would throw a firework at another isn't going to stop being an arse just because fireworks are illegal, and if fireworks became impossible to get then they'd just use something else. Prohibition doesn't work, whereas education does.

Apologies so. I thought you were trying to say he hurt himself with them.

They actually wouldn't. There are people my age that wouldn't do anything wrong all year but at halloween decide its funny so stick a banger in a sheep.

I don't know the actuall laws but at a fireworks talk in school a gard told us there were fines and then jail time depending on the quantity. We don't need masses of enforcement but we should make the gards act when they do catch someone. If you see big lights in the sky saying "here I am" its not hard to find the culprit.

They actually wouldn't. There are people my age that wouldn't do anything wrong all year but at halloween decide its funny so stick a banger in a sheep.

I don't know the actuall laws but at a fireworks talk in school a gard told us there were fines and then jail time depending on the quantity. We don't need masses of enforcement but we should make the gards act when they do catch someone. If you see big lights in the sky saying "here I am" its not hard to find the culprit.

As Biggins said, it's not the fault of the Gardaí at all. They can only do what the law states.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Ghandee wrote: »
    All fireworks should be destroyed!

Gather them all up, pile them all together and set fire to them.

This should happen a few times a year.

That's kinda what does happen, except they're not all in one pile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Some people are just idiots. You can take all sorts of things from them (alcohol/drugs/bangers/guns/videogames) they'll still be fcuking idiots though.

A person doesn't decide to maim an animal just because they happen to be in possession of a firework. The vast majority of people that use fireworks at halloween do so in a responsible fashion. Who cares if a few scrotes are more likely to blow their fingers off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

We should alll build a big fire in around a month's time and talk this out by the flames. Who is with me on this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Oh feck off. Poor you. :rolleyes:

I personally hate bangers i.e black cats, air bombs and screamers etc. Proper rocket fireworks not so much (at least when they're aimed into the sky)

But no I don't want those who let off a few fireworks at halloween criminalized and potentially rejected job offers over something trivial like this.

Get a grip OP. You just simply can't combat personal vices with draconian laws, it's pointless and no ones business. It's doing **** all to you or me, why butt in and interfere just to annoy people ?

Prosecute those who injure people with fireworks under assault or grievious bodily harm etc. It's like arguing alcohol to be outlawed over drunken fights.

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Oh feck off. Poor you. :rolleyes:

I personally hate bangers i.e black cats, air bombs and screamers etc. Proper rocket fireworks not so much (at least when they're aimed into the sky)

But no I don't want those who let off a few fireworks at halloween criminalized and potentially rejected job offers over something trivial like this.

Get a grip OP. You just simply can't combat personal vices with draconian laws, it's pointless and no ones business. It's doing **** all to you or me, why butt in and interfere just to annoy people ?

Prosecute those who injure people with fireworks under assault or grievious bodily harm etc. It's like arguing alcohol to be outlawed over drunken fights.

But theres a reason kids can't drink, the same applies to fireworks, children shouldnt have them at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

But theres a reason kids can't drink, the same applies to fireworks, children shouldnt have them at all.

I'm all for regulation then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Life imprisonment..That'll stop 'em.

That reminds me I must take a trip to Newry before Halloween. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Confab wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Pass a law that allows a Garda to confiscate all valuables carried by anyone found in possession of fireworks.

Or wait for the day when a fireworks-related-tragedy happens & say: what a tragedy... something must be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

I don't see why people are debating the effectiveness of 'vice' laws; it seems irrelevant.

First, it's irrelevant because Ireland *already* has these laws.
    Second, it's irrelevant because no law can possibly be effective if it isn't enforced.

• Advertisement
Advertisement