Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rip off Ireland.

Options
  • 23-09-2012 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Just to let everyone know that Ripoff Ireland is alive and well in Keel,Achill Island.
    Was there for the weekend...a fabulous place but boy was I nearly had for a mug in The Beehive Cafe in Keel.
    I ordered two teas and two small slices of cake(looked nice but nothing special)
    The price was 15 euro!!!!!
    Unbelievable...I have travelled the world and have NEVER paid 15 euro for 2 teas and 2 slices of cake anywhere.
    Its total greed.I know that everyone has to make a living but thats just a joke but the joke will be on places like that because they just do not deserve the business.I think a tenner was a more than fair price.
    BTW... we left Keel and travelled on to Dugort and went into Mastersons pub and what a difference!!!They do the most beautiful food there at a reasonable cost and its one of those pubs that you just dont want to leave:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

Sounds dear to me too.

Did you mention anything when you were given the bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭johnire

I did indeed.....we just left!!!!!
    Mayo Miss wrote: »
    Sounds dear to me too.

Did you mention anything when you were given the bill?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

johnire wrote: »

Did you not check the price before you ordered?
    I'd always check how much food is going to cost me. If it's too dear, I just leave before ordering. That way rip-off restaruants won't make any money on me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

Look at menus for prices

Which cafe

http://www.achilltourism.com/eatingout.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Did you query the bill?

I have been there a number of times and cannot recall being overcharged.

• Advertisement

I was starting to make the order then realised how much it was working out at so we just left.
    CiniO wrote: »
    johnire wrote: »

Did you not check the price before you ordered?
    I'd always check how much food is going to cost me. If it's too dear, I just leave before ordering. That way rip-off restaruants won't make any money on me.

It was The Beehive Craft and Coffee Shop.
    To be honest I don't think anyone should have to check the price of something as basic as a cup of tea and a slice of cake on the Internet before venturing into a coffee shop!
    The bottom line is they were charging €5.50 for a small slice of cake. I don't care if its homemade.....it's a ripoff.
    Look at menus for prices

Which cafe

http://www.achilltourism.com/eatingout.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

was in a bar in templebar Dublin 2day, bought a bottle of corona e5.80 NO WONDER THE TOURISTS WONT COME HERE ANYMORE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ehcocmeo

Did you have an American accent by any chance? 15 euros for that is horrendous. But sadly this rip off mentality is all over Ireland.

Was talking in spain and stayed in a Hostal for 20 euros Bed and Dinner.. And the dinner was all you could with loads of win.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The beehive is not known to be cheap, mastersons is known to be cheap.

i cant understand how pubs in dublin getting away with a early and a late price.

its the same drink and i cant see how it being 10.30pm and 12.30am makes any difference.

The bar has incurred no extra costs just because its 12.30am.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭homeless student

irishgeo wrote: »
    The beehive is not known to be cheap, mastersons is known to be cheap.

i cant understand how pubs in dublin getting away with a early and a late price.

its the same drink and i cant see how it being 10.30pm and 12.30am makes any difference.

The bar has incurred no extra costs just because its 12.30am.

they have to pay extra to staff working after a certain time, thats why the price goes up after certain time.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭msbrobe

Should try McHughs new coffee/sandwich shop in Ballinrobe.... less than a fiver for a whopper of a sambo and tea/coffee:) Was there with a friend the other morning, had pot of tea, mug of coffee + refill and 2 freshly baked scones €4.90 yum yum:D

Advertisement