Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

get a ipad now or wait a bit?

• 23-09-2012 6:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭

Birthday is 3 weeks away so I was thinking of treating myself. Going to college next year so hope to use it with a keyboard. Should I get one now or wait

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

You'll be waiting at least 6 months. Get it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

JoeA3 wrote: »
    You'll be waiting at least 6 months. Get it now.

Ok thanks, Any there any noticable differences between the 2 and the 3?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

I am using one now
    What I don't like about it,cord too short,
    Will not charge when using it and charges slowly when not using it
    Charge only lasts 5 hours
    Unless you get apps it's completely useless a door stop
    I only use free apps and books,I download hundreds
    And then delete crap ones or ones that charge extra
    Everytime you download app even free you have to put apple I'd in
    You can only have about 5 pages of apps then you have to join them you do this by holding down on app when it wiggles you move it to another one then press home button when done
    Press home button twice to stop apps press minus sign on apps at bottom of screen,
    iPad is underpowered compared to computers and have no storage
    I only use iPad on wifi as it uses a lot of cellphone data

If using it for college buy a laptop

I use a pen to type on the internal keyboard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,448 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Ok thanks, Any there any noticable differences between the 2 and the 3?

The 3 has the retina screen. Much sharper, crisper. Especially for reading text. It's a bit heavier than the 2. Other than that, differences are very minor.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Birthday is 3 weeks away so I was thinking of treating myself. Going to college next year so hope to use it with a keyboard. Should I get one now or wait

I wouldn't wait to be honest, but you have a few choices:

Get an iPad from the Apple Store
    Get an iPad 3 from the Apple refurb store for €50 off the new price.
    Buy a clean used iPad from Adverts.ie

Sell whichever when the next iPad comes out (they do hold their value reasonably well).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭jamesd

I am using one now
    What I don't like about it,cord too short,
    Will not charge when using it and charges slowly when not using it
    Charge only lasts 5 hours
    Unless you get apps it's completely useless a door stop
    I only use free apps and books,I download hundreds
    And then delete crap ones or ones that charge extra
    Everytime you download app even free you have to put apple I'd in
    You can only have about 5 pages of apps then you have to join them you do this by holding down on app when it wiggles you move it to another one then press home button when done
    Press home button twice to stop apps press minus sign on apps at bottom of screen,
    iPad is underpowered compared to computers and have no storage
    I only use iPad on wifi as it uses a lot of cellphone data

If using it for college buy a laptop

I use a pen to type on the internal keyboard

Mine charges when using it and very quickly - are you using an iPhone charger instead of the iPad charger?
    I get10 hours from mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭marymc

Don't use an iPad for college. Or a netbook. I know some people get by with them, but you really need a full keyboard if you're ever typing ANYTHING long - essay, poems, code, forms, emails - you will curse the tiny keyboard of a netbook or an iPad for as long as you're in college.

That said, I'm usually very anti-Apple, but I bought an iPad 2 recently for teaching with, and I actually love it myself. It's not cheap, and if you want the apps that work best, you will have to pay for them. But it's a lovely piece of equipment. I decided on the iPad 2 because in almost all of the reviews I checked out online it was faster than the iPad 3rd gen, and the battery lasts longer (most seem to think this is due to the enormous power consumption of the super-bright screen). My screen is perfectly bright. Everything else is not noticably different to the iPad 3. (And if you think it is, maybe you need to assess whether you're one of these people...:cool:)

So for college, as your main device - no. If you can afford a laptop IN ADDITION, go right ahead, you'll enjoy it.

Advertisement