Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Found a purse with cash..

• 23-09-2012 6:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

Ok so I found a purse with bank cards and cash in it. My first instinct is to pass it into the garda station and hope that the owner contacts them to reclaim it. But... what if they don't think about going to that garda station.. What then?

Do the guards pocket the cash and dump the contents or is there another way they do it?

What would you all do if you were me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I'd try to contact the person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Is there no I.D. inside it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 778 ✭✭✭jessiejam

Only have a name no other contact details

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Hand it in to the Guards, but also contact the bank that issued the cards. Tell them the purse has been found and is with X Garda Station, that should pass that info on to the owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

What bank are the cards?

If for example they are AIB then drop the purse into any branch and they will be able to trace the owner from the card numbers, sort code etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

I don't know cause of the credit cards and stuff but I think after 90 days the cash is yours.

But what cards are they?
    If they're bank cards go in to the bank and explain and they can probably arrange for the owner to meet you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

look them up on facebook, where I work a lot of things get lost and I have done this before to reunite people with their lost property, giving it to the guards is a waste of time as it will just sit in some locker.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

Maybe the bank can return it but Garda station is your best bet

I don't know cause of the credit cards and stuff but I think after 90 days the cash is yours.

But what cards are they?
    If they're bank cards go in to the bank and explain and they can probably arrange for the owner to meet you?

1 Year and a day. After that you can claim them.

Bank cards and college ID. Was going to pass it into the college, I wonder would they pass it onto her without taking the cash? I know that if it was me I wouldn't care about the cash once I got all the other stuff back. But I would want her to get everything back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

See if there is enough money in the accounts to buy a ticket to Mexico!!

1. Buy ticket
    2. ???
    3. Tequila

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

I think that (cash) may be mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

If you bring it to the bank, They will have a contact number for the owner and I presume they will ring the owner there and then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

treat yourself to somthing nice with the cash and just pop the wallet into a postbox -the postman will do the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Well if you dont want to bring it to the gardai you could bring it to a bank branch for which the cards are for. At least they should have contact details for the owner of the cards.

Beaten to it by charlemont.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭TheBody

Well if you dont want to bring it to the gardai you could bring it to a bank branch for which the cards are for. At least they should have contact details for the owner of the cards.

Good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭t5pwr

I lost a wallet once and had an AA card in it. The person who found it rang AA and they couldn't give out my details but AA called me and gave me the details of the person that found them. If the bank is any good they should be able to do same :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

Better chance of getting a reward if you try contact the person directly.

I found a wallet a few months ago with €60 cash and cards in it. There was a business card in the wallet so I made direct contact with the person. Met him to give him the wallet and he said thanks for that. I was thinking in my head, what miserable man.

Following day I went into work and there was a card behind the counter for me. Opened it and it was a thank you card with €5 inside. I was delighted with it, thought that counts and all that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

I lost my purse couple of years ago, and the finder, contacted my bank. They in turn rang me and gave me his phone number and me and my purse were reunited that very day. I was delighted and very thankful to the guy who found it.

Although a trip to mexico sounds good, the cash wouldn't pay for the taxi fare to the airport!.
    I am going to bring it into the college tomorrow and hope for the best. Poor girl is probably going out of her mind wondering where she lost it. It was at the side of the road too as if someone threw it away!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Call the bank, give the card name and number, tell them what happened and ask them to contact the owner and get the owner to contact you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Can we start a competititon - whoever guesses the amount to the cent gets the cash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

jessiejam wrote: »
    It was at the side of the road too as if someone threw it away!

Dump the bag and get outta there OP!

:pac:

juan.kerr wrote: »
    Can we start a competititon - whoever guesses the amount to the cent gets the cash?

You win.
    Virtual cash on the way to you:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

just spend the cash -dog eat dog world out there.

Bring it to the guards and get a receipt for the contents, mentioning the amount of money in it. If you keep it for a while, angling for a reward, and for example money is missing from what was originally there, the finger will point at you. The older generation used to say that theres no luck in money like that. Do the right thing and you might be pleasantly surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

TheBody wrote: »
    See if there is enough money in the accounts to buy a ticket to Mexico!!

1. Buy ticket
    2. ???
    3. Get strung up under a bridge because the account belonged to a particularly vicious member of a Mexican drug cartel

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭MaxSteele

Take the cash and send the purse with the bank card etc into the local garda station and contact the name of the bank in question.

You could pretend that magical karma exists to please superstitious idiots by handing in the cash also or come back to reality and treat yourself to a nice present, your choice. I suggest option B.

Think of the cash as a punishment to the owner for losing their purse and a reward for your good deed. ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

mmcn90 wrote: »
    Hand it in to the Guards, but also contact the bank that issued the cards. Tell them the purse has been found and is with X Garda Station, that should pass that info on to the owner.

Tell the Gardi that the bank(s) have been contacted (even if they are not yet but soon will be).
    That way the Gardi know that if anything goes missing after it was handed into them, someone within their own confines could be answerable for it.

Having said that, unless the cash is in the millions/billions, I seriously doubt a Garda will risk their job/freedom for the sake of a few quid.

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    Tell the Gardi that the bank(s) have been contacted (even if they are not yet but soon will be).
    That way the Gardi know that if anything goes missing after it was handed into them, someone within their own confines could be answerable for it.

Having said that, unless the cash is in the millions/billions, I seriously doubt a Garda will risk their job/freedom for the sake of a few quid.

Or, get a receipt from the Guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 nice_cupotea

i found a wallet with €400 cash in it - handed it in to the police and they told me to check back 1 year later. I did - and they gave me the cash as no-one had claimed it :)

needless to say i gave it all to my favourite charity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

you have cards so definately go to the bank in question,

I found an Ipad on the train and a quick look at facebook had it back to the guy in no time. easy enough done nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

If thir college ID num is on the card. Try work out their college email. Eg LIT is idnum@student.lit.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,873 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

MaxSteele wrote: »
    Take the cash and send the purse with the bank card etc into the local garda station and contact the name of the bank in question.

You could pretend that magical karma exists to please superstitious idiots by handing in the cash also or come back to reality and treat yourself to a nice present, your choice. I suggest option B.

Think of the cash as a punishment to the owner for losing their purse and a reward for your good deed. ;)

Brilliant....some poor woman is going out of her mind at losing her wallet and money (behind on electric bill, no groceries or the last few quid she has to pay day) and your option is to treat yourself for finding it and to punish her....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

MaxSteele wrote: »

Or you could pretend you are a decent person and hand it in.

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    Brilliant....some poor woman is going out of her mind at losing her wallet and money (behind on electric bill, no groceries or the last few quid she has to pay day) and your option is to treat yourself for finding it and to punish her....
    `

Yep it's just great altogether isn't it ? :D

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Or you could pretend you are a decent person and hand it in.

Nah you're alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Culleeo wrote: »
    Better chance of getting a reward if you try contact the person directly.

I found a wallet a few months ago with €60 cash and cards in it. There was a business card in the wallet so I made direct contact with the person. Met him to give him the wallet and he said thanks for that. I was thinking in my head, what miserable man.

Following day I went into work and there was a card behind the counter for me. Opened it and it was a thank you card with €5 inside. I was delighted with it, thought that counts and all that.

How did he know where you work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Although a trip to mexico sounds good, the cash wouldn't pay for the taxi fare to the airport!.
    I am going to bring it into the college tomorrow and hope for the best. Poor girl is probably going out of her mind wondering where she lost it. It was at the side of the road too as if someone threw it away!

Don't worry she would have read this thread by now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

Ok so I found a purse with bank cards and cash in it. My first instinct is to pass it into the garda station and hope that the owner contacts them to reclaim it. But... what if they don't think about going to that garda station.. What then?

Do the guards pocket the cash and dump the contents or is there another way they do it?

Look up the Dublin Phone book for the name on the credit cards, try look them up on facebook or put up adverts in local shops in the vicinity of where it was found. Giving it to the Gardaí is a no no in my opinion. If they are unable to arrest criminals or have no patrol car such as the case in Donegal, then I highly doubt they would be competent (or even ar*ed) enough to handle a lost walet.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

just spend the cash -dog eat dog world out there.

-1 :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

What college is it? You should be able to work out their college email from the student number on the college id.

Edit: Already suggested I see! UCC is [id_number]@umail.ucc.ie anyway if it helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Try find the person on Facebook or twitter and contact them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Keep it, the person can easily get new cards. How much money was it? Buy yourself something pretty and dump the rest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭exador

Can't help thinking ofDunbelieveables version of Garda Patrol...Someone handed in money but the boys ad spent some of it on cigarettes and milk..classic...

go to 5:24 - Classic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8k1d8uX9Gw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Don't suppose it's a brown and cream River Island wallet? I lost mine last night. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭Culleeo

YFlyer wrote: »
    How did he know where you work?

I found the wallet in the car park when I was leaving work and I told him that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

hand it in to the station and get a receipt. If it's not claimed in a year its yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

t5pwr wrote: »
    I lost a wallet once and had an AA card in it. The person who found it rang AA and they couldn't give out my details but AA called me and gave me the details of the person that found them. If the bank is any good they should be able to do same :)
    I thought the second A stood for anonymous. If they do stuff like that i'm just gonna give up and stay drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I don't know why people keep saying to go to the garda station. Bring it to a bank ffs, they'll make sure the owner is contacted immediately so cards aren't cancelled etc. the Gardai will just hold it in hopes someone calls in to collect it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement