Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Took off five of my toes"

• 23-09-2012 7:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone see the most recent episode of 'Ross Kemp: Extreme World'?

It was all about homeless folks in Glasgow. I've watched the whole of this series and the conditions in which people live has always shocked and saddened me. The latest one though, didn't surprise me all that much, yet is still fairly gruesome.

One of the people interviewed just dumfounded me. How can anyone be left to live such a life while still receiving unfettered 'welfare' payments?

I'm sure plenty of people in Ireland are leading such worthless and hopeless lives too. Who is to blame for it all?

Whose Fault Is It Anyway? 37 votes

People like him deserve to live in such conditions
    0% 0 votes
    The state is to blame for not providing a working 'welfare system'
    18% 7 votes
    We're all to blame for turning a blind eye to both of the above
    29% 11 votes
    Atari God-module
    51% 19 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Should take the dole off him then :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,464 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

You should keep the details to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 nice_cupotea

It was all about homeless folks in Glasgow. I've watched the whole of this series and the conditions in which people live has always shocked and saddened me. The latest one though, didn't surprise me all that much, yet is still fairly gruesome.

One of the people interviewed just dumfounded me. How can anyone be left to live such a life while still receiving unfettered 'welfare' payments?

I'm sure plenty of people in Ireland are leading such worthless and hopeless lives too. Who is to blame for it all?

but what about the toes of the title ?

Aha - you've just added the video -thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Ristiano Conaldo

Any links to the series OP?

from what I remember of that episode he kept the offending buggers, (well, two of them) on top of his telly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 698 ✭✭✭belcampprisoner

Should set up poor houses again

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Ireland/

Any links to the series OP?

try project free tv, I think they have it. Or Sky anytime might have it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭UCDVet

The answer is to increase the dole! Obviously we aren't paying them enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

My car broke down in Glasgow a few years ago.
    I was at the side of the road, bonnet opened waiting on the AA to tow my car to the garage.

Anyway, a homeless person who obviously had a few special brews in him walked past me, and said 'what's up lad? Ye dinny look too happy'.

I said to him 'piston broke'.

He just shuffled on past and said 'aye, me too laddie, me fcukin too'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

If you ever to Celtic Park you'll see such an awful area there is nowhere in Ireland to compare

You can do it on google street view, walk the 2km from the stadium to Gallowgate

Depressing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

I'm guessing bad luck of the draw, born to drunk or Heroin addict parents, feel sad for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Ghandee wrote: »
    I was at the side of the road, bonnet opened waiting on the AA to tow my car to the garage.

Anyway, a homeless person who obviously had a few special brews in him walked past me, and said 'what's up lad? Ye dinny look too happy'.

Took me about 10 seconds and spat me tea out, class....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

46 and just waiting to die. That is so sad:(

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

mikemac1 wrote: »
    If you ever to Celtic Park you'll see such an awful area there is nowhere in Ireland to compare

You can do it on google street view, walk the 2km from the stadium to Gallowgate

Depressing

underneath the north stand of the old Parkhead was a real hot spot for homeless neds, tins n needles everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

The repeat is on sky at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Depressing

Its a lot better now than 10 years when I went to my first match. Back then it was empty tower blocks and kids playing in flats with no windows.

If you listen carefully, you can almost hear the penny drop, as I finally got that joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Sad indictment of modern society, nobody and I mean nobody deserves to live and die(as the guy with the toes was waiting for)like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

He doesn't deserve to live in those conditions, but the state can't make him get clean and look after himself. Alcoholism is a disease, and should be treated as such. Stupid poll is stupid

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I can remember reading that the average life expectancy in certain parts of Glasgow is lower than the Gaza Strip.

I can't link but google this to confirm it, fooking mental it is.
    ... life expectancy in Calton is lower than in some areas of Iraq or the Gaza Strip. A news report in the 21 January 2006 edition of The Guardian newspaper gave the average lifespan of ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Ross Kemp:"What did you do with your toes after you took them off?"
    Bloke:"Well, two of them or on top of the telly"
    Ross Kemp:"Two of your toes are on top of the telly?"
    Bloke:"Aye, the big one and the wee one, aye. Do you want to see??"

Ross Kemp:"So you said you've had 3 heart attacks?"
    Bloke:"Three, aye, three"
    Ross Kemp:"By the way, whats that there?" - points at saucepan filled with rock hard lard
    Bloke:"Thats the lard I use to fry me chips in"

Quality programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

Depressing

I just did that and what I saw was lots of neat new occupied housing developments like you'd see in most cities and loads of building sites, I assume from slum clearance. Did I take the wrong route? (Down London Road, Fielding Street and down Gallowgate towards the city centre)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Ristiano Conaldo

The last part was sad where the lady gets a home after spending 6 years living under a bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Maybe there's hope yet for a few of the trolls in this thread. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Depressing

My abiding memory of it is the horrific smell of margarine everywhere around Celtic Park from a nearby factory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

mmcn90 wrote: »
    He doesn't deserve to live in those conditions, but the state can't make him get clean and look after himself.

They can't force him to get clean but they could at least make it more difficult for him to live that way of life. Where's the sense in handing people like him £70+ a week knowing full well that 90% of it is going to be spent on drink? Why not provide him with cooked meals every day and hold back some of the money?

Alcoholism is a disease, and should be treated as such.

But it isn't being treated at all, is it? It's just being ignored and swept under the carpet.

They can't force him to get clean but they could at least make it more difficult for him to live that way of life. Where's the sense in handing people like him £70+ a week knowing full well that 90% of it is going to be spent on drink? Why not provide him with cooked meals every day and hold back some of the money?

But it isn't being treated at all, is it? It's just being ignored and swept under the carpet.

The startling thing is, inn the UK welfare system, some alcoholics woo are deemed to be 'chronic' alcoholics actually get extra dole to spend on booze!

That's rewarding them IMO.

I know its a sickness and all that, but surely it would be better to treat them, rather then feed their habits?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I know its a sickness and all that, but surely it would be better to treat them, rather then feed their habits?

How do you propose to treat the alcoholism?

In my experience, you basically have to wait for the person to decide they want to change. Until that happens, there is not a lot anyone can do to improve the situation.

• Advertisement

syklops wrote: »
    How do you propose to treat the alcoholism?

In my experience, you basically have to wait for the person to decide they want to change. Until that happens, there is not a lot anyone can do to improve the situation.

I agree, don't get me wrong.

Its the leaving them in a flat on their own, with little or no contact with the outside world with extra money to buy booze.

I know with any habit, the dependent will always find money to feed what it is their dependent on, be it gambling, drink or drugs.

Advertisement